Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At present, I'd like to know, or to see if this information is out there as a result of a survey, if we are "typical" EV owners.

Not in the sense that we got into EVs primarily for the "EV grin"/"EV smile" and the whole driving experience, but because we currently have, and still kind of feel we NEED to have, a petrol (or diesel) car as a "backup".

The main reason we have a second car (a Beetle) is that it's a company car. However, if we DIDN'T have that, I still think we'd probably want an ICE car as for longer journeys.

Is that wrong? When we had a MINI and two kids, we scoffed and bigger cars and said we'd rent or lease when we needed on. Should people like us "get over it" and rent or lease an ICE car only if and when we REALLY need it, which to be honest, has only been about on about three tips out since we purchased the Leaf?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've spoken to lots of people about this since getting my Leaf. The question that everyone wants to know is what happens when you need to do a long journey. Seems to be the reason most people stay away from EV's even though the average journey for many vehicles is 7 miles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Before I decided on buying the leaf, my wife & I (ooh, so regal) decided to swap roles. Previously she had the small car (Micra) and I had the family car. She does about 5K miles per year & I do 12-15K. My petrol costs alone are approx £200 per month.

I was looking for an economical 'automatic' vehicle as I am getting sick of changing gear all the time, particularly with the increasing traffic levels through towns ie Aylesbury.

Looking at my motoring expenses over the last few years I realised that for the most part, I only use my car for my journey to work & the very occasional holiday trip. Since I no longer needed to tow our Pennine folding camper, we decided to get a slightly larger car for my wife and for me to have the cheaper car.

I think this will work for us, as if we need an extended journey we have the use of the larger car or if we fancy a bit of planning & excitement we can still use the leaf.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think most of us can swap for a ICE somewhere in the family, most of my trips are to work and into town, so the tickle charge overnight keeps the LEAF going.

I can swap for an ICE, but would only really considder it if the journey is going to require at least 3 charging sessions, next weekend we are going to attempt a 300km roundtrip in the EV, from my map planning that will require 3 charges all on rapids and slower driving than the ICE could do, this time for the experience, next time it may be by the ICE instead...

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
It's still relevant though. Effectively most EV drivers have a PHEV -- it's just that in some cases they stretch it over two cars. To their credit, most of the ones prepared to go all-EV tend to be Leaf and Tesla drivers...

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
oops, think I landed on it from a related link :oops:
I often find those related links are hanging around at the bottom of my pages in platforms and bell bottoms too...

Reactions: Robwiz

·
Registered
991 Posts
We also have an ICE, my wife drives a Qashqai. Annoyingly we bought it only a few months before the Outlander appeared. My wife makes numerous journeys each week that outside of the range of an EV in the course of her employment hence the need for an ICE. The PHEV Outlander would have been a perfect alternative for that and our jaunts to family in Wales and Devon. Hopefully we can move to a PHEV of some sort when she changes that in 2 years time.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Paul, can you remember what it was that made you change your mind and that you didn't need the beetle/ICE any more?
Redundancy. :D :cautious:

Haven't looked back though, this summer we're probably going to do some ICE-length trips, but otherwise the rapids have been good to us going "out of range". No real worries at all so far.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have made use of the 'borrow an ICE for 2 weeks a year' scheme which Nissan run, when we travelled on holiday to areas in the UK not then covered by rapid chargers. I used Westway Nissan at Southampton and they were extremely helpful.
Otherwise, I use my LEAF for all other journeys. I've had the car for nearly four years now and have had no major problems with charging on long runs - perhaps I've been lucky?

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
367 Posts
I have made use of the 'borrow an ICE for 2 weeks a year' scheme which Nissan run, when we travelled on holiday to areas in the UK not then covered by rapid chargers. I used Westway Nissan at Southampton and they were extremely helpful.
Otherwise, I use my LEAF for all other journeys. I've had the car for nearly four years now and have had no major problems with charging on long runs - perhaps I've been lucky?
That kind of experience tells me that a BEV is 3 years is almost a sure thing, especially that my wife turns out to be more enthusiastic about charging en-route than me. Hopefully a sensible business model for rapid chargers will emerge and make the network a lot more dense than it is now.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,630 Posts
We keep an ice because of the appallingly long time other ev owners have had their evs in at dealers for repairs. We simply couldnt manage with just one ev under those circumstances.
Its a shame because with the odd day we needed an ice for a long quick journey we could just hire one otherwise.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
We have just one car, our Leaf. Three drivers. This has been the situation for 13 months now and I have to say that although we had three or four close-run things regarding rapid chargers breaking down on us, only my son has hever had to call a flatbed. That was last April when he too found the Newport Pagnell/Northampton rapids were dropping like flies.

We had no need to do any multi-charge journeys* throughout the winter but last week my wife and I drove to the Brecon Beacons from Southend. 245 miles each way, left with 100% charge there and back and charged up three times at roughly 60 mile intervals. The driving time was 6.4 hours on the way out, 6 hours on the way back, so we averaged over 40mph and our total time including stops was about 7.5 hours each way. The return journey would have been about 20 minutes less had we not had to wait for an Outlander to finish charging at South Mimms.

*Actually, this is wrong. One Saturday in January I did a return trip to Maidstone to collect our grandchildren and it was very frosty when I got there. That journey really carved up the electrons. I wouldn't like to do a >200 mile journey in really cold, wet weather.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We keep an ice because of the appallingly long time other ev owners have had their evs in at dealers for repairs. We simply couldnt manage with just one ev under those circumstances.
Its a shame because with the odd day we needed an ice for a long quick journey we could just hire one otherwise.
Do you mean having to be repaired due to unreliability? If so, I'm very surprised to hear this. I've had my Mk 1 LEAF nearly 4 years and it has NEVER needed to be returned to Nissan due to unreliability or in fact ANY repairs. It is the most reliable car that I have ever owned - and I've owned quite a few!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts