Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Paul Knowles
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! (Newby here) l pose the question only because whilst l embrace new technology ( that works!) I now realise that l am totally dependant on my phone! which really isn't a phone? it's replaced my laptop,watch alarm,diary,which replaced my computer. Unthinkable that just a few years ago l would be setting my home heating from my phone! Take note Mr Gates....you became so obsessed with complexity that Windows is so user Unfriendly where as Apple & android work! The Tesla to most just looks and works like a regular car. So were facing the depletion of dirty fossil fuels, (I'll leave the issue of global warming since the earth has cycle hot/cold over thousands of years) hydrogen is out for now and an American Company has proved it can manufacture a better car than corperations that have been at it for years!! convincing us that the internal combustion engine (l believe the converted refer to them as ICE?) Is the best thing since sliced bread inspite and regardless of what's bolted to it! most of the energy produced being lost in heat and friction or are they in collusion with the petrochemical giants? So is Mr Tesla selling a car or a concept? I recall it didn't work very well for Chrysler and the Smart. " hand on heart-do you know anyone that bought a car with their head?"(with the exception of a Yugo owner) my point is that if l were to buy a R/R sport l wouldn't go to a shopping mall! and the Tesla looks like a premiere product aimed at Lexus, BMW owners with concerns for the planet? So what will the 'walk in' conversion rates run at? Do l want to conferse with a computer nerd or a car enthusiast? Can anyone comment on the buying experience? and will l be left with a car that can be hacked? Since l can disable my current Toyota with an app! R.I.P.suck,bang,blow. Electric will be the future (for now?)

·
Super Moderator
7,226 Posts
Well there's over 100,000 Tesla cars out there now so they are definitely real rather than a concept.

If you read their secret plan for changing the world you will find they're getting ready to move down market slightly with the model 3, which will be produced in the 100's of thousands per year and at a much lower price point - think BMW 3 series.

·
Paul Knowles
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well there's over 100,000 Tesla cars out there now so they are definitely real rather than a concept.

If you read their secret plan for changing the world you will find they're getting ready to move down market slightly with the model 3, which will be produced in the 100's of thousands per year and at a much lower price point - think BMW 3 series.
Hi Edd and thank you.... I hadn't seen the 'secret' plan or mission statement. When l referred to concept l was fully aware of its reality and referred to the public perception and understanding. I fully back the 'grand plan' and can't wait for the demise of prehistoric internal combustion engine ( not bad for an ex-Honda mechanic!) I note the Chinese have cloned it already! Plagiarism equals flattery? The ramifications of this technology being affordable to the masses are world changing, government revenue reductions, petro giants seeking new markets, a shift of world power from the oil states. When it gathers momentum it will be unstoppable! I wonder what the likes of Ford, Mercedes, VW & BMW have planned? For the record l work in transport and inspite of choking devices adblue, DPF's all euro 4/5! I still come home with a layer of soot on my collar! Cheers Paul.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Those 4 manufacturers all have plans announced plans as far as I'm aware. In fact not many haven't some sort of plan in place. It may take a while for their offerings to arrive though.

·
Paul Knowles
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those 4 manufacturers all have plans announced plans as far as I'm aware. In fact not many haven't some sort of plan in place. It may take a while for their offerings to arrive though.
Hi Mike, I've seen the offerings from BM trouble U in fact l got a 'touchy' moment with the 'spaceship' Beemer, whilst l didn't get to drive it l did see it straight lining near Helmsley,North Yorkshire.....WOW! . The cars only part of the package It would seem only Tesla are rolling out a total solution to our addiction to petrol. Thanks, Paul.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,035 Posts
... could you just cover how the original post gives details about the question given in the title of the thread? I think I am missing something ...... what is being asked here?

·
Paul Knowles
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could you explain Tesla "total solution".
Hi Stuart, l was referring to the 'free for life' refueling and home solar charging system making ownership little different from a dynoburner. Given the winds we have here on the coast l could probably have a Nissan leaf glowing like a nuclear reactor core off a comparatively small wind turbine also Tesla seem to have eliminated the 'Heath Robinson' factor (assuming you have uddles of cash to give'em!)

·
Paul Knowles
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
... could you just cover how the original post gives details about the question given in the title of the thread? I think I am missing something ...... what is being asked here?
Hello Donald, l am asking the question for two reasons, firstly as the technology is moving at such speed will l/we be left with outmoded/outdated car (l note Tesla has discounted early versions already in its home market much to the disgust of its first customers), you need only compare your current TV to what was sat in corner only a few years ago. Secondly whilst l except that we no longer fix our own 'motors' failure at component level cripples most modern products l don't want to sound like a Luddite but l have experienced a R/R out if warranty ( a raised track on the engine ECU board- a simple home fix) but none the less- dead car! So there it is the constant upgrade loop

·
23,035 Posts
OK, so you're asking whether it is a trap into near-instantly outdated technology, and if the potential pitfalls of repair costs may be hugely disproportionate to an equivalent ICE?

The sensible and most probable answer to both is 'yes'. It's a trap.

Now, you might be able to escape that 'trap' by swapping and trading your EV up early enough to surf on that wave, whilst feeding a 2nd hand market with cheap EVs of a slightly lower spec.

But there again, you might not and get 'trapped' by holding on to one too long.

For the former, that is whether the tech gets outdated, who cares. If the car works for you, don't stress about it. If it doesn't work for you, then don't buy it. For the latter, expensive repair costs, this is a Big Deal and is a rational reason why people are currently very wary of EVs. It's an unknown. Do you feel lucky?

·
Banned
476 Posts
Donald, did we make the right decision? Wife bought czero four years ago, she has placed it into a ditch resulting being written of and then crushing rear end. Car still at present climate charges to 75 ish per charge. Also have Peugeot ion which now has a different shaped wing and bumper. we are both massively stressing concerning app updates, tyres pressure warning systems, preheating our cars is fundamental when can all the pressure stop.

·
23,035 Posts
Donald, did we make the right decision? Wife bought czero four years ago, she has placed it into a ditch resulting being written of and then crushing rear end. Car still at present climate charges to 75 ish per charge. Also have Peugeot ion which now has a different shaped wing and bumper. we are both massively stressing concerning app updates, tyres pressure warning systems, preheating our cars is fundamental when can all the pressure stop.
You're asking the wrong guy for sure. Just prior to picking up the Fluence and then taking a longer look at EVs, I was all for trying to find a nice pre 1960's car to avoid all that electronic wizardry and emissions stuff that goes wrong and costs a fortune. I guess I blew that!!

As EVs go, you've made the right decision for as long as the car carries on doing what you want it to do. If you don't feel you've hit a pay-back point before it all goes wrong (which of course is more than just 'fuel' saving, but has it given you what you wanted at the price you wanted to pay for it) then it wasn't the right decision. If you're past the point of 'pay-back' then you're laughing. That's the only way I can make sense out of it. It's going to be a decade or two before we all properly understand what long-term EV ownership really means, both in terms of getting the service we want from the cars as well as the value for money.

·
Paul Knowles
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, so you're asking whether it is a trap into near-instantly outdated technology, and if the potential pitfalls of repair costs may be hugely disproportionate to an equivalent ICE?

The sensible and most probable answer to both is 'yes'. It's a trap.

Now, you might be able to escape that 'trap' by swapping and trading your EV up early enough to surf on that wave, whilst feeding a 2nd hand market with cheap EVs of a slightly lower spec.

But there again, you might not and get 'trapped' by holding on to one too long.

For the former, that is whether the tech gets outdated, who cares. If the car works for you, don't stress about it. If it doesn't work for you, then don't buy it. For the latter, expensive repair costs, this is a Big Deal and is a rational reason why people are currently very wary of EVs. It's an unknown. Do you feel lucky?
Thanks Donald, ( or should that be Mr Eastwood?) Yes l suppose like many others l Sooo Much want to go EV after having owned Porkers (911 derivatives!) Caterham, Beemer M's,RR's and having seen the Tesla aniolate some serious kit. l couldn't buy a Leaf that for me would be death by boredom Yes l'm green but l want to be entertained.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Yorkie, what car do you drive. From the cars mentioned above which one has made you post your opinions on this site.

·
Paul Knowles
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Evening Stuart, l drive a Toyota through necessity l'm throwing all my disposable at my family seaside home ( yes as in the words of the song "a semi by the sea"- no sexual dysfunction implied!) My last place was payed up so l indulged my passion for cars (even made a profit on a couple!) A year or so from now the house will be totally refurbished and l will again be enjoying my habit but if anything a 996 C4S and my wonderful future ex- wife who swears there is no such thing as practical and super fast (exciting) and green car at the same time. I also have two gangly teenage sons who squat with us so 4 doors are a real bonus Tesla?...Mmmmm?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts