Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys thinking of, in the few years ahead?

I am thinking that Covid has been really weird, like people got bored with having money so had to spend it on something so there's been a rush on cars, and prices have gone up.

Not sure I would be happy with current prices. Happy with my Zoe 50 price (hat tip to dealer! ;) ).

So, what's to come? I reckon we're in the party phase of buying cars, and the hangover will appear sometime next year. Might come too early for me to renew my recent 2 yr lease, but, hey, weird times like I said.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
They say there’s only one thing worse than dying, and that’s dying with money in the bank.

Might explain the Covid spending a bit?

Im not sure what I’m going to do, I’ve got an EV now, it covers most of my needs pretty well, and although there’s plenty of other nice EVs emerging, they’re all pretty pricey.

EVs are not going to take off big time if they remain as comparatively expensive as they are.

I have to say the T word now. Tesla have become the big fish in the small EV pond. Overall EV sales are still climbing, but they’ve got a long way to go to become the default choice.

We need the mainstream ICE manufacturers to get on board properly and make practical EVs affordable and away from the label of ‘playthings for the well off’.

It’s a chicken and egg thing, but I know many people who couldn’t countenance some of the outright purchase or PCP lease prices for cars that will replace their ICE vehicles like for like.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
If everyone can keep talking down the price of Teslas, that would be great.

Finger’s crossed that the price of P100Ds will continue to fall.
It might just be my perception, but has the MS fallen out of favour generally as well as on here since the M3 arrived?

A P100D is the Tesla I’ve been in the most, a work colleague owns one, and it’s fabulous.

The design looks a lot more resolved to my eye than the M3, and I’d be really tempted to try and own and run one at the right price, even out of warranty.

·
Registered
16,782 Posts
It might just be my perception, but has the MS fallen out of favour generally as well as on here since the M3 arrived?

A P100D is the Tesla I’ve been in the most, a work colleague owns one, and it’s fabulous.

The design looks a lot more resolved to my eye than the M3, and I’d be really tempted to try and own and run one at the right price, even out of warranty.
Yes, well I think the S does fine in its class, but there aren’t many sold for that class (A6/5 series) in any case.

If the M3 was available back in the day I wouldn’t have bought an S for sure.

Now most of the issues are known for these cars, owning one out of warranty shouldn’t be a huge issue.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
There is a distinct lull right now. The Zoe deals are good on the run up to month-end and dealer bonus crunch times just before new reg number in September. Also, MG has launched a great deal. Basic new EV model now £21,495. Again end of Aug/ beginning Sept artificial pressures it seems.

·
28,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They say there’s only one thing worse than dying, and that’s dying with money in the bank.
Well ... the kids don't .... :sneaky:

·
28,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To my mind, the thing to do with a big inheritance is to put it into a pension for your kids? By then, it'll either be a pot of cash to help look after them because you bred a looser, or be there for them to pass on likewise.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I think there will be a price drop soon, certainly in the EU, they have to start shifting EV's to avoid the fines, only one thing shifts product when you need to and that's price or better lease deal. I'd expect to see some really good lease deals, if people don't buy as many as expected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Oddly, prices are down around here, just bout my used Kona for about $25,000 and the dealer was desperate to sell something, anything.

I do think here in the US, prices will be dropping continuously on EVs for some time to go as we get more long range vehicles on the market and the charging infrastructure continues to improve constantly with 150kw+ charging stations.

If we could get our politicians out of the oil companies pockets, we would see an even faster change to EVs here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not expecting a price drop. Most manufacturers have sold so few ICE this year that they are on target to hit this years emissions targets. Also EV and phev sales are up, and demand is up, and Germany and France are offering massive subsidies on EVs so demand in these countries is sky high at full price. Why even bother selling in the UK if you know that Germany and France will take all you can make at full price.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
642 Posts
UK car sales are down 42% YoY to July, BEVs are up 175% YoY but still account for less than 5% of the total.

There are lots of new EVs coming to market some delayed by Covid but in the near future will supply outstrip demand?

In the face of recession, redundancies, less travel, and heavy discounts to shift ICE I'd guess the car market for most vehicles will be v competitive at some point within the next 18 months.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
To my mind, the thing to do with a big inheritance is to put it into a pension for your kids? By then, it'll either be a pot of cash to help look after them because you bred a looser, or be there for them to pass on likewise.
Or stolen by a future government.....

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm wondering/contemplating going even further with the price drop - if there's one thing covid has done it's point out that we could all die a lot quicker than climate change might achieve, and since we all know really that EVs on their own ain't going to save us, why bother with an overpriced noddy car, that makes life difficult, for the same price as a luxury, millionaires car that's depreciated by 80% to less than a 30kwh leaf. Bring on the toy equipped, diesel MPG, fast refuelling cruising beast time.

·
Premium Member
3,883 Posts
I hope Covid doesn’t set back the momentum that has started to gather around the uptake of EVs, but the resultant recession might.

I also hope that it won’t mean a resurgence in fossil fuels or even increased car use, but the signs are that it does.

Covid might kill some of us prematurely, that’s true, but global climate change will likely kill millions of us if we do nothing.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The thing is, isn't it accepted that cars produce such a small amount of the climate change producing stuff, that essentially it won't stop it anyway, and putting us all in debt to buy an EV is just a central bankers dream ?

·
Registered
536 Posts
What are you guys thinking of, in the few years ahead?
In a couple of years, when the current lease is up, if I'm still in employment I'll just lease whatever can be had for sub £300 net on salary sacrifice again.

Hopefully there will be EVs again in that price range, if there aren't any, it will be no EV. :(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts