• YES PLEASE

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a student from the University of Nottingham. My final year project is to improve the usability of charging points.
I want to have your opinions on whether you would like an addition of cash and credit/debit card payment options installed at charging points?

Thanks,
Alex

·
Banned
558 Posts
The question is more complex than you suggest.
Most charge points are currently free and we like it that way.
No one want to encourage 'blind charging' - so much per charge! There are many possible charging models, you question suggest it one charging model, with 2 technology choices - that is not how users want it.
I would only consider paying for a slow (or fast) charge, as a last resort.
Rapid charging is the only service that might be worth paying for; however, if the charge appears unreasonable they too cause a big reversal in EV acceptance and use.
In summary changing the technology will have minimal influence. Simplifying the service by removing RFID would improved availability and reliability - they are currently big issues for users. Paying for a service that is already 'rubbish' will only prove that the service providers are from another planet!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Brian,

My apologies. My intention is that IF there were to be charging fees, would you like additional payment modules (RFID will still be there) to be available? This is because from talking to many EV owners, there are problems with carrying more than one RFID card; one card per one provider. Could that change your mind?

Furthermore, I would like to address that my project do not focus on the commercial perspective but rather, issues like usability and ease of usage. And offering more than one payment option is what I thought would be sensible.

Again, sorry for not making myself clear earlier

Alex

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Yes, but your survey still presumes that the person answering it is happy carrying around a card. A straight yes/no to a question is reasonable, but when you qualify the 'no' answer with an incorrect assertion there is no way I can truthfully answer your poll other than by not taking part.

Have no doubt about this, if it were a real poll where the answers actually mattered, the only publicity the result would get (based on the 4 answers so far) would be that 100% of EV drivers like to use an RFID card for charging.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
@alexn IMO the answer to payment collection is contactless technology in cards/phones/keyfobs/etc. This technology requires no backhaul connection (works in communications blackspots such as underground car parks), is extremely low cost (uses existing POS systems), and is already deployed in more than 36 million cards that people have in their wallets today.

http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/contactless/

·
Banned
558 Posts
A much better option woukd be for the car to have a longer range RFID linked to a European database. The you could drive up to ant charge point and be recognised - a pin entry would enable connection! The same RFID could be recognised in many other places -e.g. For servicing -at ferry terminals or at toll booths.
Unfortunately this survey liked all tick the box survey prevents 'blue skies' thinking?
OLEV used the technique last year - it meant you could only choose from what had been pre-ordained!
Sorry @alexn not to have been of more help - like most things in life it's not a binary choice. For academic research to have validity you've refine the problem space, so that only valid options are selectable.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I answered 'no' as the lesser of two evils. In fact I have a separate card holder for my 3 charging post cards which I keep in the car so not crowding my wallet.
I also thought that having a cash container on the post would attract thieves and be another cause for loss of service. Although maybe whoever emptied the meter could also check and report faults!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts