Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What with the ever increasing measures being taken by the various governments across the world in regards to the current pandemic, have you cancelled or postponed a vehicle order or will you be?

It could be due to income uncertainty, or not needing one presently due to travel restrictions, or many other reasons including the supplier lead times being put back beyond your expectations, or anything else.

Very interested to read your thoughts in these unusual times.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Yes, I was looking to replace SWMBO's car but I've put that on ice for now.
COVID-19 may kill 1% of the population but I think it could kill 10% of businesses. I don't want to get a new car from a 'local' dealership and in a few months find they are history.
[Yes, there is a conundrum there as my not buying now could contribute to the dealer's demise. But for this size of purchase I'm afraid my concerns are trumps (I know :rolleyes: )]

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Ah, the biggest concern of capitalism - that we all stop buying things! EVs are a particularly vulnerable segment of the market - a highly expensive discretionary purchase. Not going to be helped by the fact that older people (who are better able as a segment to afford them and accept their compromises) are more vulnerable to COVID-19 than average and may be required to self-isolate for 12 weeks at some undetermined point in the "near" future.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Aggregating up the effect of deferring individual purchases will result not just in dealerships going under but whole manufacturers - there is already considerable oversupply of vehicles and this will not help. When the manufacturers go they take down whole local economies and multiple suppliers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aggregating up the effect of deferring individual purchases will result not just in dealerships going under but whole manufacturers - there is already considerable oversupply of vehicles and this will not help. When the manufacturers go they take down whole local economies and multiple suppliers.
So to answer my original question you won't be buying a car, or you will be? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It perhaps provides me useful context on my currently obsessive investigations into EV ownership. I’ll sit out for a year and save more towards a deposit and see where we are then - maybe tesla model Y will be on the horizon in the UK

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should perhaps clarify that the vehicle referenced in my post #2 above is a small ICE car, not an EV.
(The thread question did not specify what kind of vehicle.)
Indeed, any car, but given the forum we are on EV's would seem the obvious choice! ;)

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
So to answer my original question you won't be buying a car, or you will be? :)
I will, but it will be secondhand. However, as usual that potentially releases the current owner to buy a new car.

·
Registered
2018 Soul EV
2,555 Posts
Yep, still going ahead. However I do have concerns some of the charging companies, some backed by investment companies, are going to be out of business with this. They invested in the belief EV sales would drive profit in future, that future could now be a lot further off.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,738 Posts
Nope... Picked my MG up on Saturday. Your a long time dead, and you only live once and all that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Leaf 30 PCP is up in June. Running out of time to source a comparable replacement (currently pay £220 a month) so may end up paying the final payment of circa £13k rather than risk potential delays on replacement.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My Leaf 30 PCP is up in June. Running out of time to source a comparable replacement (currently pay £220 a month) so may end up paying the final payment of circa £13k rather than risk potential delays on replacement.
Still some decent deals on in stock Zoe ZE 50's and 40kWh Leaf's if you are happy with a PCH. What vehicle were you looking at?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Zoe's on the small size for me. I like the Leaf 40kw but PCH prices have pushed up in the past month or so..now looking at about £295 vs what was about £270 a month ago (based on 10k miles a year)

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
633 Posts
Ah, the biggest concern of capitalism - that we all stop buying things!
If you're not selling your products or services, you're not earning money, and you can't pay your staff. 1.5m people in the UK work in food and accommodation services - shut all the hotels, bars, and restaurants, and how do they earn a living? Over 3m in education. Are we planning to shut all the schools for 3 months? Without economic activity, there's a reduced tax take, so we can't pay the doctors, nurses, firefighters, and police officers.

The economic damage caused by shutting everything down for three months could itself cause great hardship and many deaths.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,323 Posts
Ah, the biggest concern of capitalism - that we all stop buying things!
Yeah, we should stick with that other system .. the one that doesn't use money that gives us the freedoms and expectations of a right to life, family and expressions of opinion ..... it's called .. errrr ... mmmmmm .... errrr ..... now, what was it called again?

·
Registered
205 Posts
With the latest government advice on social distancing and general gloomy outlook. I would talk to Nissan dealer and see what they can do regards any equity in your leaf against a deal on a new 40kWh version. I know your current deal like mine was a bit of a steal so you can expect to pay a bit more.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna
256 Posts
Not quite an order but I've cancelled my ID3 pre order as I was only holding it in case the rumour that it might allow a priority order to be placed for a series model turned out to be true. I don't want to make a new large financial commitment in the current situation so I'll wait 12-18 months and then look at placing an order.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if my car wasn't ordered for months, and given the waiting list I may not get it for a year. Kind of annoying but it is what it is.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts