Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to make a journey from Stirling to the bottom of the Mull of Kintyre in the middle of July. I have the choice of taking my e-Niro or our old diesel Merc . I'd like to take the EV but there are three things worrying me

1 I don't know the reliability of the rapid chargers in Inverary, Lochgilphead and Kennacraig as the status of CCS rapid chargers doesn't appear on the Chargeplacescotland website.
2 I'm only an occasional visitor to Scotland and I only have the ChargeplaceScotland app (actually its the CYC app although my account was opened with Chargeplacescotland) and not the RFID so even if the rapids, or even AC chargers are working is the phone network coverage there sufficient for me to get a charge started using the app?
3 Will the CYC app even work in July as the network will be transitioning to SWARCO?

I suspect that as I'm asking these questions the obvious answer is to go ICE this trip but feel free to persuade me otherwise.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
The status of the CCS is often showing as unknown when a charger only supports 1 DC charge at a time, and defaults to chademo so if this is working the CCS probably is (assuming the ccs plug isn't damaged).

The Inveraray rapid has been showing as out of service for almost a month and my complaint to A&B council has been ignored so assume it is unusable.

Lochgilphead rapid has worked fine for me on the 3 occasions I've used it.

Can't comment on the Kennacraig rapid but, again, if the chademo is working, CCS should be too.

The Arrochar charger seems to be reliable.

Sorry can't help re the CYC app as I've never used it. It should work until the end of July.
Phone coverage should be okay depending on network.
Just use your mobile provider's online coverage map to check.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
It's only 144 miles via the A83, so can you not do it without stopping?

Just noticed the Kennacraig CCS is apparently out of order according to Zapmap but this may no be correct.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Just noticed the Kennacraig CCS is apparently out of order according to Zapmap.

Just noticed the Kennacraig CCS is apparently out of order according to Zapmap but this may no be correct.
Its 125 miles from Stirling to Tayinloan. The real world range of my e-Niro fully charged is 250 miles, especially three up with luggage and I probably won't be leaving Stirling with a full charge as I'm using public charging in Scotland so I'll need at least one decent charge during the trip.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
I'd top up at Arrochar in case the others are unusable.
Charge to 90% in Stirling (several new rapids at the Park & Ride) and you won't need a large top up.
If you are a bit low on the way back, there's a rapid at Balloch.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I'd top up at Arrochar in case the others are unusable.
Charge to 90% in Stirling (several new rapids at the Park & Ride) and you won't need a large top up.
If you are a bit low on the way back, there's a rapid at Balloch.
Arrochar, Inverary, Lochgilphead, are all single rapids installed pre 2018 using "APT" Circontrol Rapids. These don't report the status of the CCS outlets so the CPS will give "no data" about the availability or otherwise of the CCS outlet. It will probably be grayed out and say not available or something similar. You may take a punt and assume that if the Chademo outlet is shown as available, the CCS might also be good (it might also be broken)

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
241 Posts
The E- Niro will make that comfortably this time of year and fully laden doesnt seem to affect the range at all in my experience. I would get a CYC card for safety though as they seem to work pretty well where the app can be flaky on the chargers. If in doubt, order a Swarco card too just in case.

Do you have the ability to charge off the granny charger at your destination? If so I’d probably say you’ll be able to do your journey there easy and likely be able to get back on what you’ve topped up on if it’s an overnight stay. I’d plan for a rapid stop if needed but I’d say you’d be ok from my experience in my Niro.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The E- Niro will make that comfortably this time of year and fully laden doesnt seem to affect the range at all in my experience.
Mmm.. not my experience I'm afraid. Guess we have different driving styles. I have no idea if the granny charger at my overnight is a possibility and I think its too late to get a CYC or Swarco card now plus the trip for other reasons will be quite stressful which means I don't need any additional charger anxiety so thanks for your input everyone but I think I'm going to give up making the EV work and just burn some dino juice this time.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
241 Posts
Oh that’s interesting. Must be something like that then as I’ve found the Niro better than I expected. I’ve done trips to Ballater from Sheffield in October and only had to charge once (but did test the Braemer charger to make sure if worked with the CYC card) and also did a Sheffield to Cornwall in April with only technically needing one charge (but charged twice as Cornwall chargers are few and far between. I’ve also done my regular trips to my dads 150 miles away with no issues laden to the gunnels. I’m definitely intrigued by the difference in usability!

That said, it ultimately comes down to what your comfortable with and if the Dino-juicemobile is the better option then go for that. Life’s stressful enough without worrying about where to plug in! 🙂

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shame really. I think that Scotland is suffering something similar to England with electric highway. Government grants to install chargers but no further cash to maintain them. Free charging disincentivises other providers from entering the market. Finally giving the admin to an oil company is like putting Dracula in charge of the blood bank

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
Shame really. I think that Scotland is suffering something similar to England with electric highway. Government grants to install chargers but no further cash to maintain them. Free charging disincentivises other providers from entering the market. Finally giving the admin to an oil company is like putting Dracula in charge of the blood bank
The Scottish charging network is not too bad in the Central Belt and other large towns.

The problem comes with some councils such as the pathetic Argyll & Bute council installing too few chargers and when the do install a rapid, its only the one.

For example, on the main west coast route from Loch Lomond, there is just one rapid at Arrochar, Inveraray, Lochgilphead, Campbeltown and Oban. The other 3 are all at Calmac Ferry terminals.

This council is probably the worst in Scotland and clearly has either been too slow to apply for grants or just never bothered. They have ignored my requests as to why the important Inveraray charger has been out of service for a month.

As for the maintenance costs, most councils (inc some in England) ended free charging between January and April and charge 25-35p/kwh to generate the income for these.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Hi Electrohead, there is fantastic EV charging facilities all over Scotland, including cities outside the central belt and almost all rural routes. There are a few areas, FarmerGiles has highlighted the Loch Lomond to Lochgilphead route, where further investment is needed but overall this is the exception. Even at Lockgilphead there is a 2nd Rapid due to be installed soon. Yes, I'm definitely of the glass half full persuasion. But there are improvements being planned and rolled out all the time.

The situation is NOTHING like south of the Border my friend.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
The Scottish charging network is not too bad in the Central Belt and other large towns.

The problem comes with some councils such as the pathetic Argyll & Bute council installing too few chargers and when the do install a rapid, its only the one.

For example, on the main west coast route from Loch Lomond, there is just one rapid at Arrochar, Inveraray, Lochgilphead, Campbeltown and Oban. The other 3 are all at Calmac Ferry terminals.

This council is probably the worst in Scotland and clearly has either been too slow to apply for grants or just never bothered. They have ignored my requests as to why the important Inveraray charger has been out of service for a month.

As for the maintenance costs, most councils (inc some in England) ended free charging between January and April and charge 25-35p/kwh to generate the income for these.
The statement that the Inverary charger has been out of service for a month is patently UNTRUE!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
The statement that the Inverary charger has been out of service for a month is patently UNTRUE!
Still showing as out of service on CPs Live map but I know a charge was had according to Plugshare on the 2nd June.

The point being that if it's shown out of service, then no one will bother to check, so it's as good as actually being out of service.
When I used it prior to the outage in May, it was showing as available and did work for me, even with a dim display.
A&B council never replied to my query or they could have stated that it was working.

I will check myself this wednesday on my 4th trip to Argyll.

Good to hear that Lochgilphead is getting another rapid, but Tarbert should have had one AC post and a DC charger, even if only a 25kw one if there was a supply limitation.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,949 Posts
Dunoon rapid is another A&B council charger that has been out of action for weeks - Plugshare update 25th June confirms this.
On a positive note, there is a £60 fixed penalty for non EVs or EVs not charging at the Helensburgh chargers, and a 1.5hr time limit for rapids.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts