Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased a new Ariya Evolve 87kWh in Oct 2022. Probably worth stating at this point, that I’m very much new to EV’s and not massively technicallly minded. Charging to 330 miles full range until beginning of December, but then when charged to 100% has been showing estimated range of 220-230 miles. Being new to EV, means I drive mostly in Eco mode and with e-pedal on to help cope with battery anxiety so it can’t be related to driving patterns. And then two weeks ago, the 12v battery went flat, car couldn’t start and had to be jump started by RAC to get home. Still with Nissan and even the MasterTech is scratching his head as new 12v battery fitted but still only showing maximum range of 230. Just been browsing forums to see if anybody else has had a similar issue, and if anybody has suggestions for possible causes or issues

· Registered
Ariya 87KW Evolve.
292 Posts
Don’t take too much of the miles display, it’s based on a number of things, Battery State of Charge (SOC) driving style, temperature, topology. It takes a best guess based on all those variables. Hence it’s referred to as the GOM (Guess ‘O Meter).

You will soon get used to using the % instead.

When you got the car, it would have been fully charged and nice and warm in the showroom, having driven 9 miles from the factory to the boat to the dealer, shipping to your dealer with 15% battery. So it will show a massive range in the GOM.
I work on about 3 to 3.5 miles per kWh so, in theory I’m looking at a realistic range of 80 x 3.5 = 280 miles. Giving about 7 KWh reserve + the hidden bit which you get once the % & the miles have long gone blank.

I generally drive everywhere in B mode and only use E-peddle in towns, pro pilot on motorways set at 70. I averaged 60mph up the M1 recently and 3.2kWh over the whole journey in wet and cold conditions. Which I thought was OK for a 210 mile journey.

As the weather gets warmer the efficiency should improve. I never expect to see 4 miles KWh or more because I don’t crawl around at 20 mph 😏.

As for your 12V problem, sounds like they have an issue with battery quality or an issue with the charging algorithm, as it seems rather random sounds more like a battery issue more than software. I guess time will tell, the Ariya is still on factory watch so problems escalate quickly.

· Premium Member
2014 Model S
10,106 Posts
I'd assume there is a reset trip history/energy use type of thing they can do which should show default range.

Cold weather does affect range a lot. EV database does seem to suggest 220-230 mile isn't too far off winter combined range.

· Registered
74 Posts
Purchased a new Ariya Evolve 87kWh in Oct 2022. Probably worth stating at this point, that I’m very much new to EV’s and not massively technicallly minded. Charging to 330 miles full range until beginning of December, but then when charged to 100% has been showing estimated range of 220-230 miles. Being new to EV, means I drive mostly in Eco mode and with e-pedal on to help cope with battery anxiety so it can’t be related to driving patterns. And then two weeks ago, the 12v battery went flat, car couldn’t start and had to be jump started by RAC to get home. Still with Nissan and even the MasterTech is scratching his head as new 12v battery fitted but still only showing maximum range of 230. Just been browsing forums to see if anybody else has had a similar issue, and if anybody has suggestions for possible causes or issues
You really posted 2 points. 1. 12 volt battery failure and 2. Winter performance/ range issue.

Brief answers;

1. 12 volt battery failure is one of, if not the biggest point of failure with EV's. So, unless Nissan have found a problem with the car rather than the battery then this point will get little interest.

2. Now that EV's are more common, the newspapers have gone on and on about winter range loss. The Express, in particular, features it almost every other day. You have committed big money to an EV and some may ask unkindly how you could not know this.

This is my third winter with an EV. To give you a feel for the effect, I have drawn a very crude graph that will give you an idea. This is from observation and not from rigorous scientific study. Those with more experience than I may draw it slightly differently.

There are 2 primary issues and they are the influence of low temperatures on battery chemistry and, secondly, how much energy you use to keep warm in the car. Do you control at 23C with heated seats and steering wheel on or do you wrap up warm, turn the heating off and just put the heated seat on? The answer has quite a bearing on range.

Even in the South of England, we have had some nights pushing -10 Celsius; killers for EV's which effectively become almost unusable at -25C. Note that for some of the Scandanavians, I said "almost".

Attachments

· Registered
438 Posts
This is normal. But what is shocking is that the master tech isn't able to explain this to you. It's ridiculous that the dealer doesn't understand how the range estimation works and would make me nervous that they know anything about the car.

· Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh -
4,483 Posts
Agreed this is normal for winter especially with some of the very low temperatures we have been experiencing recently.

Expect at least 25% reduction in range during the winter compared to warm summer range.

You say the GOM is showing 230 miles and the battery is 87Kwh (230 / 87) equals 2.6 miles / Kwh with the battery reserve which the GOM doesn't show probably 2.8 miles / Kwh which is okay for a vehicle the size of the Ariya.

I am currently getting 3.2 miles / Kwh running around in my LEAF 62 and that 2/3 the size of the Ariya.

Nothing to worry about - my advice is to use the Battery % remaining gauge to calculate your range rather than the GOM.

For example: 1 % = 2 miles in winter and 1% = 3 miles in summer

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really appreciate the input. I’ve learnt more reading this post than anything the dealer/master tech have explained to me in the last couple of months. I was of the understanding that the car would still show full range and might tick the miles off more quickly if the heating was on, rather than it just giving me a reduced range at 100%. I said I wasn’t technically minded 🤦‍♂️

· Registered
569 Posts
On the 12 volt battery it is worthwhile fitting a BM2 monitor - I have just purchased one for under £20. This gives a full report of how the car is charging the battery and how the 12volt battery is doing. I was quite impressed at how my Kia E-Niro was handling the charging of the 12 volt battery and reassured as to the battery state.

· Registered
1,715 Posts
Really appreciate the input. I’ve learnt more reading this post than anything the dealer/master tech have explained to me in the last couple of months. I was of the understanding that the car would still show full range and might tick the miles off more quickly if the heating was on, rather than it just giving me a reduced range at 100%. I said I wasn’t technically minded 🤦‍♂️
Welcome to the EV world. You are not alone in wondering how the Guess-o-Meter works. I'm on my fourth EV in ten years and have a degree in electrical engieering and I am none the wiser about how the remaining miles range could be such nonsense.

· Registered
74 Posts
The issue of range calculation is discussed in every EV forum. Certainly, with my last car, the majority of people referred to it as "guessometer" and had little faith in it. I was in the minority that regarded it as a useful tool. Each manufacturer takes a slightly different view but essentially they construct algorithms that use historical data, SOC, ambient and battery temperatures and HVAC settings to compute an estimate of range. At first, I took the same view about it being a guessometer but after I had taught myself an almost robotic level of driving consistency, I found the range estimate to be extremely accurate. The right foot is a variable that the car cannot know about in advance. If it is consistent then so is the range estimate. If the right foot suddenly becomes very heavy or extraordinarily light then the estimate of range will be off. I am still all over the place with the Ariya because, amongst other things, I still waste lots of power sitting in the thing with the heater on fiddling with the software settings. This morning it was USB stick audio files. Nothing in the useless manual so trial and error. The car will read 128gig stick but not 256gig. No Gracenote and the car system reads a very small percentage of the album art. More Ariya software deficiency!

· Registered
1,715 Posts
I still waste lots of power sitting in the thing with the heater on fiddling with the software settings.
Glad it’s not just me! Yesterday I changed over the main display in the morning, confirmed to myself that I prefer the two big dial version and then spent ages trying to remember how to change it back (I got there in the end).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts