Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am concerned about the proposed Ariya touch buttons, “The minimalist interior is similarly bold, with virtually all physical buttons replaced by capacitive, haptic-feedback switches built into the dashboard surface.” From Bold new Nissan Ariya is pivotal electric SUV with 310-mile range | Autocar

It seems to be heading the way of many newer cars with unsafe buttons that are so hard to use that one ends up taking one’s eyes off the road for too long whilst struggling to find the right buttons. My 2014 Leaf is like this for onscreen buttons, particular the zoom buttons on the map. It’s better for physical buttons. My wife would not buy a Ariya if it had an unsafe set of buttons.

I propose a system that has a long row of button on a slide bar like the Ariya but a bit different in function. When you slide your finger along it flicks through all the options and displays in the centre of the screen what is selected. Repeat the info on the HUD. When you are satisfied you have the right option you push the button hard and it activates that function and gives the haptic feedback. If say you were adjusting a temperature you keep your finger on the button and it ramps the temperature slowly. If switching between ventilation functions, repeated presses scroll around say the feet/face/screen options. Or is this what Nissan are already planning?

This system could be bent into a circular bar on the steering wheel to make it even easier to use but not sure how one would then stop inadvertently button pressing whilst steering normally, unless there is a real button to turn the bar on and off.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,453 Posts
Fashion and cost. It's what people are being conditioned to accept on everything today regardless of the ergonomic issues.

Reactions: solar
1 - 2 of 2 Posts