Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m thinking of getting a 2017 reg GTE Advance, it is at an approved VW dealer which is part of the Arnold Clark group, they are not offering the Das Welt Auto warranty, MOT and breakdown cover for 2 years, but if I want to purchase their warranty then I can do for £399. I’m inclined not to proceed as I have concerns about non VW warranties but what are your thoughts on them, especially relating to AC please?

thank you I value the opinions from this forum.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have only had a third party vehicle warranty once - I had to claim on it, and it was not a positive experience.

The suggestion above to get a warranty quote direct from VW is (IMO) a much better idea.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
256 Posts
I wouldn't trust AC about ANYTHING, full stop.
In 2014 I bought an E350 Mercedes from them with 6500 miles. From the Mercedes Official dealer in Grangemouth in Scotland. On the day of the collection I drove away and within 20 minutes I've returned back because the car was puling dangerously to the left. The service manager came out, took the car in and 20 minutes later returned to let me know............ "Nothing wrong with the car Sir, they all do that" At this point I pointed out to him that this was perhaps my Mercedes number 20 in my life and not a single one has done this before. I've asked him how a car designed to do 180MPH in a autobahn in Germany can do that and he told me that there is nothing wrong with the car.
I should have just leave the car there and walk away but I didn't. Took the car home and went to a local service I can trust 100%. It turns out that the front tracking was 2....yes 2 degree off.
On the very next day I run a HPI report on the car and the car was repaired because of the front hit. Went back to them with this and they told me that this was a mistake and the car was "perfect"
Bottom line, after two months and lawyer involvement I got my money back, plus they pay all the additional cost to the lawyer etc.
I am not the only one who had a problems with them. Just check around internet for hundreds of horror stories.
I wouldn't buy a wheelbarrow from them nevertheless a car.

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
81 Posts
Shop around would be my advice. The Das Welt Auto warranty is very good. I bought a Polo TDI BlueMotion from a Volkswagen dealer in Ayr with 1 year Das WeltAuto warranty, but I live in Aberdeenshire, so I knew any claims on the warranty would be through the local Volkswagen dealer in Aberdeen. Over the course of the first year I had to get air-conditioning re-charge (under warranty) and airbag convenience module recall. A 2 year warranty would cover you for most eventualities excluding wear and tear.

Personally I wouldn't deal with Arnold Clark. I'm sure they have some good people, but everything I've heard, and in very little dealings I've had with them (daughter has a Fiat 500) so needed to use them for parts - their lack of knowledge was woeful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you everyone, I have now found a car through a franchised dealer that is a 67 reg with 63k on the clock, but does have the 2 year VW warrant, is mileage at this level a real concern?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
thank you everyone, I have now found a car through a franchised dealer that is a 67 reg with 63k on the clock, but does have the 2 year VW warrant, is mileage at this level a real concern?
HV battery wise, I believe you should have a 8 year/100k miles warranty, so you've still got a bit left to run on that. It's worth checking the warranty policy to make sure that there aren't any strange exclusions or surprises.

For everything else, it's like any other car - it depends a lot on how it's been driven and if it's been well looked after. At 63k miles over 4 years, it can be anywhere between top condition or completely shagged out. Usual things like checking service history will give you an idea of how much the previous owner(s) cared.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Unless the warranty from VW was extended that seems wrong, as standard the car is 3yr/60k (or 2yr unlimited miles)

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Unless the warranty from VW was extended that seems wrong, as standard the car is 3yr/60k (or 2yr unlimited miles)
I assume they're referring to the extra warranty that VW gives you when you buy a used car from them (which is basically just the extended warranty as far as I can remember), rather than the standard factory warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I assume they're referring to the extra warranty that VW gives you when you buy a used car from them (which is basically just the extended warranty as far as I can remember), rather than the standard factory warranty.
yes that is exactly it, the car is with a VW dealer and has their 2 year warranty provided, I just wondered if I should have concerns about the mileage level before I considered buying it, as it’s a good price.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My '65 with 75k is still driving fine.
But I do intend to sell it soon, concerned about complexity of maintaining the hybrid system.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have had no hassle with Arnold Clark, however its in England, my mate Ben who works there wouldnt transfer a car from Scotland down for me he sort of didnt trust the Scottish dealers so I understand where some are coming from. My partners son is a bodyshop manager for them and likes them and his working conditions, he also got me a great deal on my car

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The car I am interested in is at a VW dealer, so comes with their approved warranty’, they sent me a video yesterday and it show the car being serviced at 9, 39 and 61k over the last 3 years, this concerns me that it didn’t have services every 10k but had an annual service, is this something to be worried about please?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts