Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I've been lurking these forums for a while now familiarising myself with EV's in the UK market. My family needs a second car now that can do a daily 60mile trip (mostly motorways) even in winter. With a budget of around 15-20k I've come to the conclusion that a leaf is probably my best option. Originally I intended to look at 30kwh leafs but I tend to keep cars for a long time so with future degradation in mind perhaps the 40kwh was a better option (although most 2nd hand models are a little over what i want to spend).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
119 Posts
If you are doing a lot of ‘high speed’ work (as in motorway cruising), I’d seriously consider a Hyundai Ioniq.
Considerably more efficient than a Leaf but especially so at speed due to its aero shape.
All of them will do 60 miles at 70MPH no problem but a 30KWH Leaf will be the tightest in range.
The Ioniq, despite only a usable 28KWH, will give the 40KWH Leaf a run for its money on motorway range due to better efficiency

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Why not a very late LEAF30, or Ioniq 28 kWh, or Soul 30 kWh, or Zoe 40, or eGolf?
Often the first of a new model suffers issues and isn't worth the premium over a well equipped version of the former. LEAF40s suffer worse battery degradation than LEAF30s, and there is still #Rapigate. At your price point you'll be getting an early 40 or a late 30, and the 30 is capable of your commute even in winter etc.
The Ioniq and Soul are both good cars, capable of your commute, but a bit marmite. You need to consider them even if only to be sure why you rejected them.
The Zoe is smaller but feels faster. It depends what you want - trying to take 4 Rugby playing mates may be a bit difficult but you need to think of your circumstances.
The eGolf is a bit of a curve ball - it's a Golf! It is old hat as it is in MkVII form only and will be replaced by the ID3 later in the year, but .........

·
Zoe Devotee
9,199 Posts
If you want new you'll almost stretch to a new MG ZS EV Excite (£22,495) just above your top end, buuuuuut its new!

Or you'll get a decent Zoe ZE40 year old i model well within your budget too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions, I felt the 30kwh leaf was a little tight in range. The journey is Medway to Ashford which normally is about 60miles but whenever there is trouble at Dover and they close the M20 to park lorries, diversions can add another 10-15 miles to the journey. It doesn't happen often but often enough.

tbh i discounted the korean cars because i felt they looked ugly and the person driving prefers a small car with a hatch but I'll reconsider them and see if i can look at one in the dealership.

The Zoe might fit! I'll take a closer look, thanks.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
119 Posts
I’ve recently swapped from a Leaf 30 to an Ioniq 28.

The cars are worlds apart. The Ioniq feels much more modern (adaptive cruise, front collision warning, better heater, more composed of road, less wind noise, etc).

it is a lot more cash than the last of the 30 Leafs, similar to the 40’s.
If you’re doing 75miles in winter at 70MPH, a Leaf 30 could be close to the limit on some (many?) windy days. Slow down to 65MPH and it would be fine.
For comparison, I drive 100 miles to Exeter into a 30MPH headwind two weeks ago. I travelled 3 up and with a full boot at 70MPH and had 13% left on display. The Leaf would never have achieved the distance.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
I'd definitely be recommending going for a 28kWh Ioniq over a 40kWh LEAF. As has already been said it is the best efficiency especially at the higher motorway speeds, doesn't suffer the degradation issues of the LEAF, and has very fast rapid charge support should you ever want to take it further afield. It's also going to be a little nicer to sit in than a LEAF.

A few people have mentioned the Zoe. I'm not sure I could really get behind that suggestion personally. Not all motorway. It is quite small and basic, and not as comfortable. If you were on the motorway with it every day I think it would just be a painful remider that you are in a city car. I'd also be missing features like adaptive cruise control on such a journey.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
the person driving prefers a small car with a hatch
Sounds like a straight choice between the Zoe and the e-Golf "for the person concerned". :unsure:

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
119 Posts
I'd lease a Leaf - very low rates at the moment. Check leasing dot com
Depends on the annual mileage. 60miles a working day is 15k per annum. Add a bit of private and you’re look at 20k miles.
I do 25/30k a year and leasing doesn’t work for me on those miles.
Good luck though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hsp70, depending on what you want exactly, how about an i3? Just another car in the mix...
Thanks for the suggestion I did consider the I3. But it seems to have quite high insurance and sevicing costs. I like it a lot but I think for my use and budget I would need the rex but I already drive a prius plug in and want a complete EV.

·
Registered
278 Posts
To Hsp70. Your best choice would be a nearly new Leaf 40. They are cracking value at the moment. Have a look at my Leaf 40 buyers guide that I recently posted within the LEAF 40 forum.I am currently running a 2018 Leaf 40 myself and decided to buy this compared to other electric cars. The i3 is a great car, quick with a lovely interior, but they can be unreliable and potentially expensive to fix. I found the Zoe too small. By the way, if after all this you do decide to buy a used Leaf 40 then my car might interest you ( it is a 2018 18 plate Leaf 40 Acenta flame red with 25k miles, price would be circa £19,495 ). Simon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in a similar boat myself. Need something which is family friendly, so the i3 & Zoe are out due to boot size. It would be good to see peoples thoughts are for the Ioniq Vs Leaf. - I'll hold my hands up, I'm a bit of a badge snob, can't see myself driving a Hyundai, but I maybe totally wrong about it all and should consider it.

Definitely need to go and try the cars myself and see it first hand.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
119 Posts
I'm in a similar boat myself. Need something which is family friendly, so the i3 & Zoe are out due to boot size. It would be good to see peoples thoughts are for the Ioniq Vs Leaf. - I'll hold my hands up, I'm a bit of a badge snob, can't see myself driving a Hyundai, but I maybe totally wrong about it all and should consider it.

Definitely need to go and try the cars myself and see it first hand.
Drive the Leaf then drive the Ioniq.
It’s like a different generation of car.
Good luck.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
119 Posts
Definitely need to drive both, but whats was your experience?
I have owned a 30 Leaf, driven a 40 Leaf and now own an Ioniq.
I will do 25/30k a year in the Ioniq and I’m very happy with it vs the Leaf. Don’t get me wrong, the Leaf is a good car but I think the Ioniq is just better in most things unless you need a deep boot. Ioniq is long but shallow.

in summary, I think:
It goes further, charges faster, is more refined, is quieter and has more safety equipment.
Just like the chap selling his Leaf, I’m biased but I can say I have experience of all three cars.
Drive them and good luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Have a look at a Mercedes B250e too.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,093 Posts
Have a look at a Mercedes B250e too.
Not really a good recommendation. The range isn't thst good. It is quote slow to charge. Seems to suffer with battery degradation more than many other models and especially now many are out of warranty they can be super expensive to fix and take a long time for parts to come in from Tesla who made the EV system for the B class.

with the big caveat that the OP will NEVER go beyond the battery range as, if I’m correct, they have no rapid charging facility?
Correct. 3.6 kW single phase, 11kW 3-phase AC is the very best you can get out of it without going to the expense and hassle of trying to install a Chademo kit

1 - 20 of 43 Posts