Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Electric and hybrid cars will have to generate noise to make them safer for pedestrians, especially the visually impaired, the European Parliament says.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26857743

What do you think of this?

I think it's silly and the article make no mention if there is a limit on how quiet manufacturers are allowed to make ICE cars.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,543 Posts
I had heard that there was a discussion as to what noise should be introduced to the new trams in Edinburgh and it was decided to be...................a noise like a tram would make!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I hope they're going to also legislate that push bikes should make a noise as well then, so the visually impaired can hear them coming. They have too much time on their hands, there are a thousand more important things they should be considering than this.

Reactions: Matt Beard

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I'm fine with this so long as I get to pick the sound.

I'd probably start off with a sound effect based on the reading aloud of MEP expense reports, then perhaps some jeering recorded from the House of Commons with a nice bit of back slapping.

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
I'd be ok with 4 settings - Jetsons car, Tie Fighter, Ferrari F1 V12, Citroen Saxo with stupidly big exhaust.
Plus a quiet horn sound like a bicycle bell for use on the road through town when it's full of old dears wandering about.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
It's absolutely stupid and based on nothing at all but mindless fears and what sometimes feels like divisive lobbying by those who don't want EVs to have an easy ride.

For a start, I imagine this survey is deeper than anything they're using to justify these regulations: http://speakev.com/threads/quick-poll-have-you-run-over-more-people-driving-an-ev.1170/

Also, it's good that noise pollution and horrible, noisy city streets are not a thing, otherwise some might see this move as counter-productive. Oh, wait a minute... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pedestrian perception and awareness of cars is an age old problem, and one reason that cars have horns. That said, I can see where the Eurocrats are coming from, although I wonder if this move is a symptom of how we have become 'conditioned' to the car.

This move does seem contrary, though, to the identity of an EV and to what people think an EV is or should be. As one interested in an automotive sociology and psychology, I wonder if it's possible for an electric car have an existential crisis...? ;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's also putting the responsibility onto the pedestrian - which IMO is wrong.

The cases when this artificial noise are actually useful is going to be at sub 30 MPH speeds - as anything above this would make the road noise from the tyres louder than most engines anyway. So this I think this means it's going to be mostly effective at junctions on minor roads around town centres and housing estates, etc.

I'm not sure what they teach drivers these days, but on my driving lessons I was taught to check the pavements as much as the road ahead to check for people that might be about to step out into the road - Kids playing, checking for feet under high vehicles that you can't see past, etc.

·
Super Moderator
6,389 Posts
Before we insist that EVs make a noise a new law should be passed making it illegal to wear an i-pod etc when walking or ridding a bike.
The last near miss I had was in my ICE van with an idiot listing to his music, never bothered to check before stepping out into the road. It was a good thing that I thought he was going to do it and had slowed down or I would have hit him, what made it worse was he had a go at me like it was my fault!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
"With active sound disabled"? What does that mean to non BMWi folk?
I believe it is a magic system that plays throaty engine sounds in the cabin so you believe you have a thumping V8 under the bonnet rather than a 1.5 litre 3-cylinder lawn mower engine.

Maybe F1 can take a look at it and hand out special walkmans to fans who demand deafening noises :)

(For the record, I'm an F1 fan and I much prefer the sound of the engines this year.)

·
Registered
1,147 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
This would take away one of the great pleasures of the Zoe (active sound disabled) in rolling silently up behind meandering pedestrians then frightening the bejeezuz out of them with the very loud horn blast :eek:

·
Registered
340 Posts
completely nuts and unnecessary - this takes away one of the joys of driving an EV. Its trying to solve a non problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts