Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
The only reason charging posts are often placed near the store entrance is that is usually where the power is. Digging trenches & running cables to a more sensible spot costs money.
But away from the main customer entrance could be closer to delivery bay & warehouse which is probably even more convenient for a 3ph power connection.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The only reason charging posts are often placed near the store entrance is that is usually where the power is. Digging trenches & running cables to a more sensible spot costs money.
Our local Tesco has installed some Podpoints. They are fairly close to the entrance and they trenched an extra 20m or so up the car park from the supply to get there.

Seems pretty daft to me. They've used up 6 prime spaces with 4 7kW charge spaces for a store that has no cafe or other dwell space and is not near any main route. It's not a particularly nice or large store, so I can't imagine many people being there more than an hour. I guess once EVs are common these might get used a bit, but unless they've sized the cables to run a future rapid or two they seem of limited value.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Ditto my local Tesco. The only time they are used is in the evenings when the same two cars (local owners) are always there enjoying a free charge within the three hour car park limit. Can't see that, other than greenwashing the VW image, it does anything to drive EV uptake.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,219 Posts
Our Tesco put the chargers in a location where basically no one parks at. It's not even that far away, it's just "turn left after you come in from the back entrance" and you end up at the side of the store but since the store entrance is straight ahead everyone gets fixated on that direction and no one turns left into the big empty bit. See they don't have to be positioned a long walk away, they just have to be positioned with a bit of intelligence. (Though I imagine it's just a coincidence and that was the most convenient place to install them for whatever reason)

Don't know about the Asdas in other areas but up here it's nicknamed ASBO for good reason. Wouldn't dare park across ICErs (if they even had chargers there) as you'd get either a keyed vehicle or a bloody nose for your trouble. If you're lucky, you'd just get a Karen screaming at you.

I don't think they're trying to encourage EV uptake or anything like that, it's just a perk to entice you to shop there. Hence not a rapid, it's not there to give someone a full charge on a route or to make money, it's intended to toss you a couple of free kWh while you shop since you're probably a local and it probably pays for your journey there. Admittedly I'm one of those who sits on it for 2.5 hours getting the most out of it while I wander into town (only because no one else uses them - it's 4 sockets sat there doing nothing 99% of the time so no one is being deprived of the facility) but it serves its purpose as now I do most of my shopping there.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
most out of it while I wander into town
That's the thing with our Tesco, it's not near anything much. The only people who could sensibly get a couple of hours out of them would be visitors to the leisure centre across the road ... Putting them over there would have made far more sense than in the Tesco car park.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts