Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sonic blue
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I went to Asda Sunderland today and thought I would charge while I was there so I went in paid £10 deposit for charge point card went back out went to plug in but card would only open 3 pin charge door so how do you get the type 2 charge door or is there something wrong with the chargemaster point ?

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
@Sonic blue i have never heard of this deposit to get a card at Asda. Changes things in relation to Charge disaster.
I have heard that you just need to wait for the option to scroll through on the screen for the type .
First option is 13 amp but wait and it offers 7kw.

·
Sonic blue
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Sonic blue i have never heard of this deposit to get a card at Asda. Changes things in relation to Charge disaster.
I have heard that you just need to wait for the option to scroll through on the screen for the type .
First option is 13 amp but wait and it offers 7kw.
Hi electrician, I tried it a few times and each time only the 13amp door opened, bit of a nightmare going in and out for card when on crutches like.

·
Super Moderator
11,529 Posts
You could sign up for a Chargemaster card or Polar Instant.

So far, I've paid the £1.20 fee once. £1.20 is very reasonable if you are there long enough to get ~10kWh of power.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
All chargemasters I have used cycle through the two options so you put your card on to start process, then withdraw it and and then wait for count down to finish after 10 seconds and then put card back on when it offers faster charging option.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
I had this problem once and after ages on the helpline we figured it out... it was a dual 13A post! Could this be the same?

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,667 Posts
Hi electrician, I tried it a few times and each time only the 13amp door opened, bit of a nightmare going in and out for card when on crutches like.
You need to remove your card when the tick is displayed - then it will cycle through the charging options every 10 seconds or so. You present your card again when the charging option you want is displayed. Make sure to hold the cover open whilst you plug in as it will switch on the charge the moment it's closed again.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
That strikes me as the most useless UI conceivable.. how is someone supposed to work that out? It's impressive they've managed to come up with something worse than DBT though.

I wonder sometimes if these companies have ever heard of actually testing usability of a device before releasing it. What makes sense to engineers doesn't always make sense to ordinary people.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,667 Posts
That strikes me as the most useless UI conceivable.. how is someone supposed to work that out? It's impressive they've managed to come up with something worse than DBT though.
It does tell you if you look at the instructions on the screen - "present card now for slow charge, remove card and wait for fast charge". I'd worked it out by the second attempt....the only way I can see of them improving it is by it saying "remove card" when the tick comes up, but once you see the next message it becomes apparent.

At least the chargemaster posts reset if you get it wrong, unlike plenty of others....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts