Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a charge at our local Longwell Green, Bristol Asda, after the charge points went in in Dec!

Good points - free for the electric

Bad points - £1.20 to connect, but that is for “all you can eat” and no time limit, so I can park there in the morning and collect at the end of the day when charged, all for £1.20

Out of 4 charge bays, only one socket working - I think they have put in 2nd hand units because they say BP Chargemaster on them and they haven’t been about for a while!

Anyhow, last month I called Asda and told them the chargers had been in since December and they still were not working, so quite chuffed.

So if you have an Asda close to you, worth checking out - I know head office told me they aim to have all large stores with at least 4 bays by the end of June - whether they work is another matter!

Accessed by App - I won’t get the RFID card as it’s expensive.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
635 Posts
Good news if it works for you.

I don't 'get' 7kW chargers at supermarkets. Such a mismatch between the typical dwell time, and time you'd need for a useful charge. I don't know why Asda would be interested in letting people park all day either!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't 'get' 7kW chargers at supermarkets. Such a mismatch between the typical dwell time, and time you'd need for a useful charge.
If your shop lasts 40 minutes, you'll get about 15–20 miles range, which should be ample for a charge-neutral shop provided you don't live in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
795 Posts
This is a strange one, for those with no ability to charge at home a supermarket rapid seems the ideal solution, our local Morrison's now has a rapid, I think that's a great location for one.
If you are planning on a long session on a 7kw, just watch out most supermarkets have a 3hr parking limit, plus I guess its not really in the spirit of there expected use pattern.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know and I agree.

I asked the store manager personally what the time limit was for the charger - he said there wasn't one as BP had rented the spots from them, so all day was fine!

I agree its probably so people can just top up while they shop, a 22kw or 40kw would be better I agree, but then I think they would struggle to make them free?

Anyhow, yes I think it will work well for me, although as I suspect I will be back to work on April 1st, I'll be able to charge for free anyhow 😄

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
129 Posts
Still waiting for Queensferry Asda to get them, it's a huge Asda with petrol station, car wash etc but no chargers. Kind of a roughish area so vandalism is probably a concern.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
yeah i dont really get low power chargers at a supermarket, but it does depend what else is around...

In a town centre or retail park, where you might park up for a few hours and browse the shops, have lunch etc, it makes a lot of sense, as your often going to be there an hour or two.
But if its just a supermarket, then surely your in and out as quick as possible...

Now ofcourse if they were there and free i'd probably use them, but for a £1.20 connection fee, you'd need to be there for quite a while for paying that to make any sense.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,392 Posts
If your shop lasts 40 minutes, you'll get about 15–20 miles range, which should be ample for a charge-neutral shop provided you don't live in the middle of nowhere.
Indeed. I think free 7kW charging is the new "Tin of beans for a penny" loss leader.

Still waiting for Queensferry Asda to get them, it's a huge Asda with petrol station, car wash etc but no chargers. Kind of a roughish area so vandalism is probably a concern.
Same.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my local Asda has 4 chargers 2 have been out of order for well over 6 months contacted bp and they said its out of warranty and Asda need to pay.

when they do work they ok but my local Asda has anpr and a 3 hour limit

·
Registered
79 Posts
Bad points - £1.20 to connect, but that is for “all you can eat” and no time limit, so I can park there in the morning and collect at the end of the day when charged, all for £1.20
... thereby blocking the charger for the entire day, preventing it's use by anybody else..?

Really nice of you!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are 4 bays, since December, apparently they have been used once..... now twice.

Once people are using them, regularly I won’t block them - but as I only ever see ICE’s parked there I am only in fact educating people they are charging points (the bigsigns don’t seem to do that)- but at 7kw it takes a long time to charge a 64KWh car - if they were rapids I would only be there 3/4 of an hour or so.....

I didn’t decide what output to fit!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think that what Ascot17 is getting at is that, it’s not really in the spirit of why they have been installed there to start with, they are there so you can charge while you shop, not charge while you p!ss off for the day.
I get that it’s free and make the most of it while you can for as long as you can, the free chargers will disappear eventually, and also that the spaces are empty most of the time anyway. I think it sets up EV drivers as looking like a bunch of tightwads (not wrong in my case) hogging spaces all day just to save a few pence.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I disagree. If they were put there so you could top up while you shop, surely they would have...

1) Done what Tesco have done. Plug into the podpoint and for 15min it’s not only free, but you don’t even have to use the app. For over 15min you need to use the app, but it’s still free. To stop long stayers, there is a 2hr parking limit in the car park.

2) Made it pay as you use, so perhaps 5p/10p per KWh.

3) Put in a chargeable Rapid charger. At say 15p per KWh that would cost £6 for 40kwh but you could get that much in a 30-40 min shop so at least convienient.

BUT there is a £1.20 flat fee. If we assume most shops take 20 min, in that time you will likely get 2-3kw. To charge £1.20 even for 3kw is 40p per KWh to gain about 8-12 miles of range - utterly pointless.

Now I am back at work, I don’t really need them - the last time I did use it and the app was down, when I called to fire up the post, the operator said the post was last used 4 weeks before. The only cars I ever see in the bays now are ICE and I think I am about the only one who’s ever used them!

People need to think how they want these post to be used and set their charging structure accordingly. £1.20 is cheap for 64KWh - a bargain. But for say 5min of 7kw per hour (1kw?) it’s extortionate and pointless so the only people who will use this charger will want to stay on as long as possible.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Of course, the above does assume some actual thought went into the choice of cost, rather than what I actually suspect happened which was someone who doesn’t own or run an EV went “oh I dunno, just charge a quid.”

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,853 Posts
Maybe EVs have been put off by only one post working out of the four, and that was often hogged by a Soul all day. 🤷

But anyway, companies should look at Booths for the supermarket model, banks of Instavolt rapids installed and your car pretty much fully charged in a 30 min shop.

Sure, costs more than £1.20, more like £8-9, but how it should be done in my opinion.

Public charging for those without a home charge point will need to be done on a much bigger scale than even the supermarkets will be able to muster, but as a small benefit for people to cover their fuel costs whilst shopping it’s a nice to have.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,030 Posts
Why does OZEV keep ducking down behind their parapet. They are the regulator so why are they not leading from the front, as Charge Place Scotland has done over the border? (even if they are not setting the best example)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe EVs have been put off by only one post working out of the four, and that was often hogged by a Soul all day. 🤷

But anyway, companies should look at Booths for the supermarket model, banks of Instavolt rapids installed and your car pretty much fully charged in a 30 min shop.

Sure, costs more than £1.20, more like £8-9, but how it should be done in my opinion.

Public charging for those without a home charge point will need to be done on a much bigger scale than even the supermarkets will be able to muster, but as a small benefit for people to cover their fuel costs whilst shopping it’s a nice to have.

There isn’t 1 post out of 4 working - all 4 work, but not properly on the app (which is worse than useless) so you have to phone instead. The posts say BP Chargemaster (which hasn’t been around for ages) but use the pulse app.

And why would other ev’s be put off by an EV charging? That confuses me - if I see a car charging in one bay I don’t go “oooh I won’t charge in one of the other 3 then” why would you think that?

But yes, whoever at Asda chose that pricing model is an idiot. It appears to discourage the very behaviour I would expect them to encourage.

Supermarkets are better with rapid chargers, longer term car parks suit 7kwh chargers very well.

Tesco have it fine - free charge while you shop. You won’t fill your battery, but it replaces the juice used to get there to some extent.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,853 Posts
There isn’t 1 post out of 4 working - all 4 work, but not properly on the app (which is worse than useless) so you have to phone instead. The posts say BP Chargemaster (which hasn’t been around for ages) but use the pulse app.

And why would other ev’s be put off by an EV charging? That confuses me - if I see a car charging in one bay I don’t go “oooh I won’t charge in one of the other 3 then” why would you think that?

But yes, whoever at Asda chose that pricing model is an idiot. It appears to discourage the very behaviour I would expect them to encourage.

Supermarkets are better with rapid chargers, longer term car parks suit 7kwh chargers very well.

Tesco have it fine - free charge while you shop. You won’t fill your battery, but it replaces the juice used to get there to some extent.
My mistake, it was this bit that I took to mean that of the 4 posts, only 1 worked. 👍

Out of 4 charge bays, only one socket working - I think they have put in 2nd hand units because they say BP Chargemaster on them and they haven’t been about for a while!
The more chargers of all sorts, the better, but it does feel like a lot of companies are just playing at it.

I’m a veteran of the Ecotricity ‘Free Vend’ wars, it was like the Wild West trying to get a charge. You couldn’t move for PHEVs/BEVs camped on the chargers to save a couple of quid.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts