Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped by ASDA as I was in the area at Westway Southampton with the intention of getting a quick and (according to Polar Instant) free charge while I bought a few supplies.

It was quite late and the car park was very quiet overall. Yet still I had to drive on by (and took my money with me).

Locals (I think there's a few on here) is it always like this?!

:(

2014-08-08 20.15.03.jpg 2014-08-08 20.15.11.jpg

·
Registered
585 Posts
I'd have popped into customer services and asked them to move the vans (and possibly ticket the car!).
If no-one mentions it, they'll keep doing it!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd have popped into customer services and asked them to move the vans (and possibly ticket the car!).
If no-one mentions it, they'll keep doing it!
Life's too short, I just went to another shop. Lost a small top-up but probably saved 15-20 minutes hassle, and possibly a bit of attitude too. If it was a rapid and/or I was desperate I'd have gone in. There were LOTS of other places they could be parked.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
it's the same at my local ASDA (Coryton, Cardiff, M4 J32). It's a total joke. The staff couldn't give a rats' ass, and the general public just see them as normal parking spaces (or disabled spaces).

All it would take is a simple traffic cone in each of the spaces. It's not rocket science, and it's less than 10 mins of someones' time.

Total waste of greenwash money.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I popped by ASDA as I was in the area at Westway Southampton with the intention of getting a quick and (according to Polar Instant) free charge while I bought a few supplies.

It was quite late and the car park was very quiet overall. Yet still I had to drive on by (and took my money with me).

Locals (I think there's a few on here) is it always like this?!

:(

View attachment 1604 View attachment 1605
You really should take that picture to twitter. See what Asda have to say publicly.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Are those Delivery ramps behind that post? Enniskillen's Asda Chargemaster post is away from the main building in a remote part of the carpark..everybody wants to park near the front door,not out back near the goods entrance..but at least it's unlikely to be ICE'd by delivery vans..

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
worse is our local tescos which has 12 bays at the back of the car park with sockets for the delivery vans but wont provide ev bays despite redoing the car park only a week ago. When I asked if I could use it I was told categorically no

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
worse is our local tescos which has 12 bays at the back of the car park with sockets for the delivery vans but wont provide ev bays despite redoing the car park only a week ago. When I asked if I could use it I was told categorically no
I'm only going by the Asda /Tesco competition angle here,but both outlets are on opposite sides of a road..Asda have expanded since moving to that location,added a fuel station (and a chargemaster post at some point recently) while Tesco can only offer fuel points/vouchers redeemable at their next closest outlet selling fuel,some 40 miles away..They have to be losing some business..Asda's carpark is the one that's chocker at busy times..

·
Registered
100 Posts
I was told by an Asda employee when I was in the same situation the car park wasn't run by Asda. Staff had been told not to enforce parking in the EV bays.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Peterborough on the other hand cone theirs off for protection, so not all ASDAs are equal.
As does Bexleyheath

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Agree with the above. Put it on Twitter' mentioning @asda and with the hashtag (can't remeber it off top of my head)....and HO will probably tell the store manager to sort it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
On my last but one trip to Asda there were four EV bays, three ICEd. I charged in the remaining bay and noticed how the EV bays seemed to be used as a staff car park. I smiled and did not comment as I wanted them to have a positive image of EVs and EV drivers. On reflection perhaps I should have approached them and thanked them for providing EV facilities at their location?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've noticed that the majority of ICE cars blocking chargepoints in Asda car parks (Charlton & Belvedere) display a small yellow or blue triangular sticker in their windscreens - an asda manager confirmed that these are asda employees' cars... I have asked in a couple of asdas for management to notify staff members that it is not OK for them to park in the charge spaces. Not sure if this has been actioned though :(

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The only ASDA I have used was ICEd by staff... they moved... I charged... but when I returned later same day they were back.

I get the feeling that ASDA is not at all committed to EV charging.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The only Asda I tried to charge at would not accept any of my cards. It was at Tiptree, where the jam is made, near Colchester.

As it happens, when I was there an elderly couple were charging their Miev (I think - very small car) from a 3-pin plug in the control box for the petrol pumps. I had a chat with him. My wife and I continued to Waitrose, Colchester, where we left the car charging while we went for a bike ride: Waitrose got our custom and we got their electrons.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts