Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chargemaster has 2 new charging points in Asda ,Watford ( 32 amp ,7 pin .)Problem is Asda customer service people really don't want to help to keep those spaces free for EV s .

She said :" We only have to make sure that disabled and parent and child spaces are used by appropriate cars.As for EV charging spaces -we cannot stop others from parking there . I am sorry but all I can do is to put this forward to our managers team."

They put charging points really close to the shop and I think that is the main problem. I wish they installed them as far away as possible so no one would unnecessarily park there . I don't mind walking .

Also there is no clear sign that says to please do not park unless EV . Bottom line is -what was the point installing those chargers if EV is not likely to use them ?

Just curious how widespread this problem is especially at free supermarket chargers?

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
The problem is very common. I photographed the situation and tweeted @asda
Ditto. @asda advised me to report it to the customer service desk.
I was thinking that a 7.5m charging cable might be the best option, then just park across the back of them and block them in :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Twitter gets almost instant results as the tweets are so public

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
The main problem is there is no clear signage to let people know they are EV charging spaces. If there was a sign up clearly stating this spot is for EVs only (and not just a painted car on the floor with a cable coming out of it) then the general public have no idea.

If a clear signage was displayed at each parking spot I would have no problem blocking someone in and would take my time to move my car once my registration plate is called over the tannoy haha.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Agree that he signage could be better, but I definitely think that putting them as far from the door as possible would instantly solve the problem in 99% of sites ;)

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mentioned to Asda cs lady about actually putting up a written sign as my feeling was the same -people do not know what the spaces are for . But still cannot understand why go through the trouble of installing chargers if anyone can just park there and Asda could not care less about keeping at least 1 or 2 spaces free for EVs only .

@ Jason -will do the same next time @ Asda ...

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
The only ASDA I have charged at had the charge bays next to the staff entrance and the staff constantly ICE it. I have asked them not to and the manager got the staff to move their cars but I returned later the same day and the cars were back... the same ones!!!!!

You go figure... :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts