Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, because I was thinking while on holiday this past week that our LEAF doesn't really feel "special" to me, it's just a family car that happens to be electric drive. There's very little that makes me feel like I "love" it or that I'd really miss x feature if we changed car. It's really good, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel particularly inspired by it.

How about you?

Super Moderator
Exactly the same, if it wasn't electric I wouldn't have bought a Leaf.

Registered
Nope... exactly the same. In fact, if I were completely honest, if it wasn't an EV I wouldn't have bought it either. Also, given that it is an EV I would have expected it to have the latest of all the extras so it was truly state of the art but if anything it isn't as up to date as many of the ICEs out there.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #4
That's not a great endorsement for LEAF-life! Hoping there's some counter-views on this.

Also really like to know what other EV / PHEV types feel on this, it'd be interesting to know if folk feel they have a "special car" because it's an EV, or a genuinely "special EV".

I guess on one side though by being "normal" it's perhaps harder to fault. All my favourite cars could easily be faulted, still loved them though! :D

Registered
Yes I was impressed by how different the Ampera felt to sit in, and still do. The engineering and benefits was what sold it to me, but it felt a whole new experience to sit in and drive when I first got it,and it's still sufficiently 'stand out' inside that it creates interest in people I give lifts to.

Registered
Yes I was impressed by how different the Ampera felt to sit in, and still do. The engineering and benefits was what sold it to me, but it felt a whole new experience to sit in and drive when I first got it,and it's still sufficiently 'stand out' inside that it creates interest in people I give lifts to.
The exterior styling on the Ampera also helps (the main reason I got it over the slightly cheaper Volt). I still get (positive) comments from complete strangers about the look of the Ampera, before they even know about it being electric(ish).

Registered
Agree with all the above. If it wasn't electric I would not have considered it.

It's a good car, comfortable, quiet and very cheap to run. But doesn't excite me at all really.

It does feel cool driving a car that's different to everyone else, and I don't mind the attention and questions it attracts when people ask me if it's electric.

But being a bit of a car nut I am looking forward to the future. Can see me in an E-Golf next, but it needs to be 6.6kw before I even consider it, also the amount CCS stations needs to be greatly increased before I consider one.

On the other hand I may as well wait for the Model III ;-)

Registered
That's not a great endorsement for LEAF-life!
It is what it is... IMO it is an OK family-sized car that is excellent for daily use but I realise now that I didn't want a car that could just do 80 miles...

So why did I buy it? I thought I did want that and I thought the fact that it was an EV would compensate for its shortcomings and for a long time it did just that... but now I am getting tired of the short range, inability to use on long trips without significantly longer journey times and frequent stops to charge... and tired of the "religious" effect EVs seem to create around them so people stop seeing them for what they are... just cars... and with people treating them like some kind of sacred thing that cannot be criticised. I suppose the novelty has now worn off.

Now I have got it I will keep it as a 2nd car for those short, daily trips... exactly what it is good at... and wait for an EV that has decent range that I can afford so I too am hoping that I like the Tesla Gen 3, it has the range and that I can afford it.

Sorry to disappoint but I finally feel that I am actually being honest for the first time in 3 years!

Premium Member
My C-Zero isn't special and is less up-to-date than the LEAF. But it has some features that I really value, like its tight turning circle and narrow width, which make it a joy for commuting and so easy to park.

I'm happy to take the shortest, most direct routes, like minor roads and through housing estates instead of staying on main roads. I can pass parked cars without crossing the centre line which enables me to press on when wider cars have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic.

I like the way it leaps forward almost silently with a prod of my right foot and how the regenerative braking cuts in when I lift off.

Registered
Yes. I like the design of the Ampera. I like being able to get in the car without having to find the keys. I like not hearing the superb sound system instead of an engine running. I like the performance. I like being able to preheat the car in the winter. I like the economy.
Yes it is special to me. If I were to swap it for an ice I would regret it every time I stopped at traffic lights and heard the engine running and every time I had to refuel.

Registered
For my part, why I'm going (any week now Guv) for an i3 is that is does feel special when in it, and unique, and unlike any other car I could get for the same money. I never tired of the Active E before it, either. I suspect an ICE 1-Series wouldn't have quite the same effect on me (great car though) but when the i3 is RExing I'll still feel all those things I said. Look like I'm going for Orange, too - which is my favourite colour but up to now the closest I've got to an orange car was when I cancelled an order for a 2006 Focus ST when I found out I was going to become a dad and needed something else.

So, er, Yes!

Reactions: Paul

Registered
I got my LEAF purely because it would save me 拢100 a month not because it was an electric car. It was to get me to work and back plus local travel. The Qashqai is our official family car. Saying that, the LEAF functions very well as a family car, good sized boot, excellent AC, kids say they are comfortable in the back. Does it feel special to me? Well, yes it does I spend a lot of time in it (2-3 hours a day, 5 days a week), as an automatic its great for my arthritic left knee, with its electric motor it's quieter so I hear my music better, it's nippy, i would miss that feature if I go back to an ICE

Registered
I'm thinking the Zoe is a bit special..I was cruising home in the rain earlier and was noticing the sound of the sweep of the wiper blades doing their job and thinking unless it had been worn or squeaky blades in an ICE,I'd not have noticed that before..the instant,silent acceleration on putting your foot down..being able to hear a conversation inside,or a handsfree phone call clearly..(not to mention sailing past petrol stations and only looking at the prices out of curiosity rather than necessity..!)

Administrator
Discussion Starter #18
Most (but not all) of the special things we describe here are down to being electric (noise, how they drive). Which are good points, but aside from that, couldn't an ICE car be just the same, or any other battery powered car offer the same benefit?

What (if anything) makes your EV feel special, aside from the EV "features" and benefits?

Registered
Most (but not all) of the special things we describe here are down to being electric (noise, how they drive). Which are good points, but aside from that, couldn't an ICE car be just the same, or any other battery powered car offer the same benefit?

What (if anything) makes your EV feel special, aside from the EV "features" and benefits?
It just has a certain "cool" factor. The big screen, and lack of switchgear clutter, make the interior feel like an iPhone, where an equivalent 拢 Merc would feel like an old Windows CE smartphone, with buttons everywhere.

The pop out door handles as you walk up, also make it feel like the car is somehow loyal to you (a bit like a puppy holding out it's paw). I know I'm sad :)

The built in Internet radio, also means I'm discovering new songs. Simply search a song, and the RDIO matches the style for the rest of your trip.

The Google maps implementation is excellent. I never got on with the phone based attempts, this one has the benefits of Google combined with much better voice and the in dash split turn by turn.

Erm... could go on for a long time...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts