Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Wednesday I am one of 5 guests asking founder of ecotrcity, Dale Vince, 1 question in a 30 minute Google Hangout. The one question I have submitted in advance hopefully will get some answers to the great unknowns.....

How much will it cost to use a Rapid Charger, will it be by kWh and will it be free for existing Ecotricity customers (good inceptive to switch). Secondly, please provide an update on fixing the DBT chargers and when they will all be triple headed to support BMW i3?

Feel free to joint the hangout https://plus.google.com/events/cmjqoueq87cb7k4f4emua23rkfg

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS, extra sneaky question, why is he holding it in the day, just after everyone has finished their lunch break, thereby guaranteeing minimum viewing figures ? 9pm would be MUCH better for most people I would guess.
It is recorded live onto YouTube so feel free to watch over and over again after the event :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds was a bit choppy but the video is 'OUT THERE'
Net of the Rapid Charging ££ = not yet defined

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
'meh'
Terrible hosting, loads of background noise, didn't mute out other participants when not speaking. Really dodgy sound quality. Very hard to listen to. Quality improves a little in the latter part, or my ear tuned in better. No real info. As Grant said - charging 'we don't know', probably not free for ecotricity customers, costs £300k per year to run, mostly back office & admin costs. DBT's have a design flaw that will be fixed (we know). Nothing else of EV interest, but suggestion Grant may get an invite back for more EV focus.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
300K at the moment to run the elec highway, someone care to guess what the price might be then based upon the number of electric cars and average yearly charging? With some fag packet numbers I am seeing they must charge at least a fiver a charge to make this work at the moment this would return a 50% profit based on current guestimations of users & yearly charging etc.

I think per kwh would be the fairer charge but I think they will base it per charge to a certain level, it would be nice if they made it at least 90% but that might be a stretch for the leaf as it ramps the charge rate down when topping off.

We will have to see, I am with Vince all the way apart from the not eating meat thing, I tried that once and drove my vitamin B12 levels down so low I was almost put in to a wheel chair, wont be trying that again, besides bacon sarnies taste just too good and Ironically you can get a nice one of them at the service stations! Ha ha.

It was very hard to hear Dale especially, Grant sounded very clear by comparison and the speed that Grant talks they could have let him get more questions in surely! Ha ha.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was very hard to hear Dale especially, Grant sounded very clear by comparison and the speed that Grant talks they could have let him get more questions in surely! Ha ha.
I do talk quickly, plus a bit of nerves for the 'YOUR LIVE AND BEING RECORDED' moment.

I would mention advantages of MacBook Pro connected to Thunderbolt display with integrated video / audio with wired Internet connection makes for a far smoother experience as you saw.... but I may be lambasted for being an Apple Fanbois for the 2nd time today ;-)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I think per kwh would be the fairer charge but I think they will base it per charge to a certain level, it would be nice if they made it at least 90% but that might be a stretch for the leaf as it ramps the charge rate down when topping off.
Nah, it's the overheads that are killing them and those costs are reasonably fixed. I'm totally ignorant to their subscriber numbers, but if you had 5,000 subscribers paying £60 per year for access - that's your £300k. Grow the base, make some money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts