Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just been on to a new MG dealership in Peterborough, they've only been MG for three days but are now my closest dealer to home and work so it would make sense to deal with them.
The odd thing is that he seemed to think the pre-orders have been assigned to dealers and that if I wanted to change the order would be cancelled and a new order would have to be made so potentially missing out on the extra MG dosh and the charger.

I live right between two older dealers give or take a few miles but now would rather deal with the one that is much closer and more convenient.
Up to now I have never specified which dealer I want to deal with and wanted to try and play them off against each other anyway to see if I could get any extra bits, but I suck at haggling and I'm sure for the extra £3500 from MG there will be very little if any wiggle room.

I did get a call the other week from what was the nearest dealership confirming what I had ordered but no mention about having to deal with them, also I have been in more contact with the other dealer as they had one of the press cars for a few days which I took for a short spin.

The new dealership are going to find out what could be done as it should be an easy sale for them after just starting and seem odd that MG could punish the customer just because they can.

Anyone heard anything like this?

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
You'll be allocated as the crow flies it seems. I've been allocates a dealer 1 1/2hour drive away, because they are a direct line across the Firth of Forth from my door. I'll have to drive past 2 other dealers to get to this garage.

If this doesn't suit you its worth contacting MG who might be able to help, although I was told I had to contact the dealer and ask for it to be moved and that I might lose my place in the queue. I posted on the FB group and its being looked into. Fingers crossed for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I orded on-line I was able to nominate a dealer. The one I chose is the 3rd farthest from me but in an area I regularly go to.He is also a Nissan dealer so has some experience with ev's. I heard from him on Saturday to say he had received confirmation of the order from MG but as yet he hasn't got a delivery date. He has got a demo car back for a couple of weeks and offered me another drive so I'm off there again this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
When I placed my on line order in July, it asked for a favoured dealer.
I put down for a dealer that was over 60 miles away.
At the time I did not know I had a dealership only 6 miles from my home address !.
Having never owed an MG before, I was not conversant with my local dealer network.
My local dealer searched for my order and was unable to locate it.
He contacted MG who found it on the system straight away.
The local dealer, asked if I would like to move the delivery of my car to them.
I said that was fine, as long at it did NOT threaten my place in the ordering process.
He asked me to drop him an e.mail explaining the situation.
He said he would contact MG to make he changes.

·
Zoe Devotee
7,616 Posts
When I placed my on line order in July, it asked for a favoured dealer.
I put down for a dealer that was over 60 miles away.
At the time I did not know I had a dealership only 6 miles from my home address !.
Having never owed an MG before, I was not conversant with my local dealer network.
My local dealer searched for my order and was unable to locate it.
He contacted MG who found it on the system straight away.
The local dealer, asked if I would like to move the delivery of my car to them.
I said that was fine, as long at it did NOT threaten my place in the ordering process.
He asked me to drop him an e.mail explaining the situation.
He said he would contact MG to make he changes.

That's good, it seems some dealers are more geared up for this (and customer preference) than others. maybe perhaps some dealers haven't had so many allocated orders so are not keen to give up on an order?

The dealer I was allocated seem less than inclined to let me move. I even sent a polite email asking them to pass me to the closer dealer and they replied "they were the only garage in the area equipped to deal with electric cars...", which was factually inaccurate as I've already spoke to the more local dealer and the sales manager happily told me about the training he had attended and how he would get me on a test drive as soon as his demonstrator arrived.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I have telephoned my local dealer today, expressing my concern that if I request to have my collection point moved to HIS dealership, then I will ONLY redirect IF this does NOT compromises my original order status in ANY way.
He said it was his opinion, that MG could not redirect the point of collection until the car had arrived in the port of the UK.
I have asked him to contact MG and request some type of written assurance from them, that changing my collection point will not alter the position of my original order.
Let's see !!!.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
That's good, it seems some dealers are more geared up for this (and customer preference) than others. maybe perhaps some dealers haven't had so many allocated orders so are not keen to give up on an order?

The dealer I was allocated seem less than inclined to let me move. I even sent a polite email asking them to pass me to the closer dealer and they replied "they were the only garage in the area equipped to deal with electric cars...", which was factually inaccurate as I've already spoke to the more local dealer and the sales manager happily told me about the training he had attended and how he would get me on a test drive as soon as his demonstrator arrived.
There does appears to be some reluctance to allow you to switch your choice of collection dealer location I think.
My guess is the original dealer wants to hold on to our cars in order to display this as a sale from themselves and not hand it over to an alternative branch.
To MG itself, it is still seen as the sale of a car no mater WHERE it is collected from in my book !.
But each dealer wants to report as many deliveries from their own branches as possible.
I could understand their displeasure if we had ordered from one branch, then deceived to switch our collection point to another branch.
But ordering on line direct from MG there has been no work carried out by ANY dealership here.
When the car hits the U.K. port, you should then be offered the chance to state your point of collection for an on line order.
This could save a lot of money for MG.
Given the waiting time for an EV people could have moved house or job, or both by then !.
E.G. - You order your car while working in Scotland, then before you take delivery you get a new job transfer to London.
Therefore the car ends up in Scotland and you have to travel the distance and then drive back home to London !.
Crazy situation !.
Think of the transportation costs involved here rather than spending 30 seconds to amend the final destination on the shipping manifest to the final chosen point of collection.
Once it has been loaded onto the transporter and left the port in the U.K. then you have “Missed the Boat” as they say ( sorry bad joke ).

·
Registered
552 Posts
Although we have made a deposit, this is really an expression of interest rather than a firm order. MG have a balancing act between trying to develop interest amongst potential customers and get their dealers on board to support EVs.

MG don't want customers playing dealers off against each other because that squeezes profit margins and discourages dealers to undertake training, install necessary infrastructure and promote what will be very new technology for many. At the same time they don't want lots of people asking for deposits back because a bad experience could turn them away from the brand forever.

Personally I'm just sitting tight until we get a clearer idea on final specification and I can have a decent test drive. Provided I'm happy at that stage I will consider finalising the order with my local dealer. If I was not satisfied with the local dealer for any reason I would be requesting an alternative. If MG did not permit this I'd consider simply asking for my deposit back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts