Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

I am a new member, so firstly "Hello" (waves).

I am seeking some advice please, so hopefully you will be kind if this is a question that has been asked previously, but I have checked the forums and cannot find a suitable answer, so I apologise if this has been asked previously.

I have Tesla Power Wall 2, with gateway installed and have recently moved to Octopus Go. I am trying to configure the system to be able to take advantage of the low cost energy between 00:30 and 04:30. I have configured the app to be "Advanced", "Cost Saving" and have set the time zones (see pictures). This has been set for about a week.

What I am noticing is that despite the battery being very low on charge, due to the wonderful weather here in the UK, the battery percentage is low. I was hoping that during the offpeak, the battery would take the cheap electricity from the grid and charge it up, ready for use during the day. This doesn't appear to be working, ever, at all.

So I am thinking that i have configured something wrong and am looking for advice on where I have made a mistake. Can you help!?

With thanks,

Chad (Doobrey)

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Good morning all,

I am a new member, so firstly "Hello" (waves).

I am seeking some advice please, so hopefully you will be kind if this is a question that has been asked previously, but I have checked the forums and cannot find a suitable answer, so I apologise if this has been asked previously.

I have Tesla Power Wall 2, with gateway installed and have recently moved to Octopus Go. I am trying to configure the system to be able to take advantage of the low cost energy between 00:30 and 04:30. I have configured the app to be "Advanced", "Cost Saving" and have set the time zones (see pictures). This has been set for about a week.

What I am noticing is that despite the battery being very low on charge, due to the wonderful weather here in the UK, the battery percentage is low. I was hoping that during the offpeak, the battery would take the cheap electricity from the grid and charge it up, ready for use during the day. This doesn't appear to be working, ever, at all.

So I am thinking that i have configured something wrong and am looking for advice on where I have made a mistake. Can you help!?

With thanks,

Chad (Doobrey)
I can't help you with the power wall, but you are on the wrong tariff. You should be on Agile and get the power wall to supply electricity from 4 - 7pm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't help you with the power wall, but you are on the wrong tariff. You should be on Agile and get the power wall to supply electricity from 4 - 7pm.
Hi Andy,

Is that right? As the power from Octopus at that time is expensive, compare to the 00:30 to 04:30, when its less than half price?

Chad

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly worth trying to set 04:30-00:30 as peak ?
Hey Phproxy,

Yeah, I should have mentioned, I tried that initially and it didnt work. Reading through the forums, someone said to try turning off the "peak" time, which I have done today to test it tonight.

Chad.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Andy,

Is that right? As the power from Octopus at that time is expensive, compare to the 00:30 to 04:30, when its less than half price?

Chad
I meant you should use the power wall to supply your house from 4 - 7pm as that is the time when Agile prices are high. The rest of the time, at least at the moment, they are lower than Go. Over the last 7 days my average cost per kWh has been just under 5p. That's with using electricity for cooking in the 4-7pm period.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Looks like you have Solar PV, so Go is not your best option, far better on Agile and the PW2 will provide power during the peak 4 till 7 if you setup that in the app.
The PW2 algorithms are flawed and don’t understand day ahead weather and therefore solar generation.
Theres plenty of hacks and work arounds on Tesla and Octopus forums, or you just manually intervene and switch modes to backup to charge up.
It does learn over first week or two, but it’s not that clever yet for UK.
Maybe updates later will better resolve.
I have mine setup with off peak as 00 to 07 and peak as 16 to 21 (as it’s still usually highish after 19:00) Same for weekday/end and it mostly works. Having the PW2 and Agile has more than halved elecy costs.

pics to show setup and also today can see it did partial charge after 00hrs.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts