Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got an EO Mini charger without tethering so using the supplied cable from Tesla.

I noticed that sometimes it drops from charging at 32/32 amps to around 16/17 amps resulting in charging at 15m/h instead of around 30m/h.

This is happening even when charging is occurring between 25-75% so it is not a case of slowing down as it’s approaching full.

If I take out the charger and put it back in it usually reverts back to maximum charging.

Is it related to outdoor weather? It’s currently hot in UK. Is it a faulty charger or charge point on the car itself?

Edit: As per the helpful response down below, this is a known bug which should hopefully resolve itself in a future update: Return of phantom 16 amp charging

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,696 Posts
Are you on a 100A domestic supply? Also if you press up on the car screen does the rate move up? Had similar on Tesla I had not remembering rate based on location especially if I swapped between Standard charger and my 32A Chargemaster.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you on a 100A domestic supply? Also if you press up on the car screen does the rate move up? Had similar on Tesla I had not remembering rate based on location especially if I swapped between Standard charger and my 32A Chargemaster.
Yea it’s a 100A domestic supply using the 7W chargers.

By press up on display, what do you mean exactly?

Thank you

Edit: I just went into the Juicebox app, did nothing, but noticed after going to the Tesla app it’s charging at full again now (might be coincidence and nothing to do with me opening the charger app)

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,696 Posts
Yea it’s a 100A domestic supply using the 7W chargers.

By press up on display, what do you mean exactly?

Thank you
In the car on the charging screen there is a + and - "button" on the screen next to charge current

·
Registered
37 Posts
Related question. On furlough and not driving much so have been manually decreasing the current to 16amps using the charge screen as mentioned. Thought it might be kinder to the battery for long life etc. Appreciate comments on whether this is worth the effort, or just leaving it do it’s thing at 32 amps (7KW home charger). Cheers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Related question. On furlough and not driving much so have been manually decreasing the current to 16amps using the charge screen as mentioned. Thought it might be kinder to the battery for long life etc. Appreciate comments on whether this is worth the effort, or just leaving it do it’s thing at 32 amps (7KW home charger). Cheers.
At such slow speeds, the effects on the battery between 16 amps and 32 amps is negligible so I wouldn't worry about it. It's only when you use high speed charging such as the Tesla superchargers, that will slowly degrade the battery. But even then you'd have to use it a lot and battery degradation shouldn't be too much.

I think it was Electrek that released a graph showing Tesla's battery degradation over mileage. Based on data from Model S/X after about 100k miles the average battery capacity was still at about 92%. We should expect similar kind of figures with the Model 3 and possibly even better as it has a more advanced battery. So I say keep it at 32 amps as it shouldn't make any difference.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think it was Electrek that released a graph showing Tesla's battery degradation over mileage. Based on data from Model S/X after about 100k miles the average battery capacity was still at about 92%.
I'd agree that the difference between 16 and 32 is negligble but that Electrek article is now way out of date and Tesla have even altered the warranty to allow them to decrease the useable battery capacity through sofware is they choose which is what they've done to a lot of 4 year old cars.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If you just stop/start from the app it usually fixes the issue (or at least it does for me), so you don't need to go out to the car. Hopefully the next firmware will sort this

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
391 Posts
Wow, funny what you came across. I have this exact issue.

Plug in, ramps up to 30A / 7 Kw, then after 20 ish mins it drops and hovers around 16-17A / 4 Kw. If I start then stop it just goes through that cycle again.

Doing some investigating I tried on a pod point post while shopping and it went all strange for the first 10 mins bouncing from 0-4 Kw and then finally settled on 7 Kw. I then plugged back in at home and it repeated. Ramped to 7 Kw and then drops to 4 Kw.

Tried my Zoe cable and it charged perfectly from 45-70% (my normal daily charging). Next day charged back on the Tesla supplied cable and all was fine again. I'll be using the Tesla cable again today. Will keep an eye on it again.

I did mention it to Tesla as I'm due to drop the car in for something and they did not mention that it was a known issue. Glad you guys cleared that up. I'll wait for the next software update and see if that sorts things out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts