Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
*in good weather* I'm not that happy driving below truck speed (55-60), it does depend very much on road busy-ness, but certainly below 40-45 with cars/trucks going past at 55-60 I'd consider it breakdown arena in good weather and would likely go into the hard shoulder with hazards on and drive slowly to a refuge/junction. the speed differential is dangerous.

If stopped get out of the car on nearside and away from the barriers

fortunately it's never happened to me. In the leaf when I got close I opted to leave the motorway and drive the last 5 miles at 30mph on quiet town roads.....

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I presume the 'certain slow-moving vehicles' mainly refers to agricultural vehicles such as tractors.
It is normal that in a piece of Legislation, words such as 'certain slow moving vehicles' are specified in sub para so that it is clear to all. (quite often it would be something like road cleaning vehicles. and similar)

To an SR-71 pilot, all road vehicles are 'slow-moving'.
The speed limit on a motorway is still 70 mph no matter what you drive or 'pilot'. And it remains the responsibility of the following vehicles to be able to stop , etc. There are reams of case law on the subject.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
I would say down to 50mph is probably OK in most circumstances, but if pretty quiet I would be happy as slow as 40 with a good eye in the mirror to make sure anyone approaching from behind was responding safely. I do remember going as low as 30mph on a long uphill dual-carriageway section of the A19 at about 1am a few years back when trying to bridge the York-Gap but I was pretty much the only car on the road.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I would say down to 50mph is probably OK in most circumstances, but if pretty quiet I would be happy as slow as 40 with a good eye in the mirror to make sure anyone approaching from behind was responding safely. I do remember going as low as 30mph on a long uphill dual-carriageway section of the A19 at about 1am a few years back when trying to bridge the York-Gap but I was pretty much the only car on the road.
Of course on the A19 it is quite legal to ride a horse, bicycle, invalid carriage on the road. It's what roads are for.
(motorways are a different type of fish)

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,886 Posts
Of course on the A19 it is quite legal to ride a horse, bicycle, invalid carriage on the road. It's what roads are for.
(motorways are a different type of fish)
Yes, but I'm not sure how happy I would be at 30 on that stretch at a busy time!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
There does seem to be a bit of a disconnect for some people between "technically legal" and "common sense". Are we really saying certain people need the law laying out in such a way it points out every single different situation just so they don't pull the "it's stupid and dangerous but it's legal so someone else can adjust for it"?

30mph down a busy motorway where everything else is doing 56-80 is both stupid and dangerous. It may not be illegal but if you're thinking of doing it may I suggest you give your head a wobble or better yet hand your license in.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I would be thrilled to get up to 30mph on the M25
There does seem to be a bit of a disconnect for some people between "technically legal" and "common sense". Are we really saying certain people need the law laying out in such a way it points out every single different situation just so they don't pull the "it's stupid and dangerous but it's legal so someone else can adjust for it"?

30mph down a busy motorway where everything else is doing 56-80 is both stupid and dangerous. It may not be illegal but if you're thinking of doing it may I suggest you give your head a wobble or better yet hand your license in.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,045 Posts

30mph down a busy motorway where everything else is doing 56-80 is both stupid and dangerous. It may not be illegal but if you're thinking of doing it ........
I think the point of the thread has been lost somewhere....

·
Registered
262 Posts
It is preposterous for Highways England to parrot the line about it being equally safe as having a hard shoulder. Clearly it cannot be, and clearly the mere fact that there are cameras and electronic signs can't prevent a collision in heavy or fast traffic.

(Is it just me or is it very weird that the report warns of strong language when it was a single and well-warranted "shit"? What sort of feeble people is that supposed to offend?)

Steve

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Yes, it's inevitable many unnecessary lives will be lost by this motorway madness. How can it be a fine-able offence to drive on a hard shoulder yet elsewhere you're expected to use it. Then on a 'smart' (not very) motorway how can emergency vehicles get to the scenes of unnecessary inevitable pile-ups when all the lanes are blocked without a vacant hard shoulder to enable easy access?
It's scary stuff.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
"it's inevitable many unnecessary lives will be lost by this motorway madness"
I think that is worth underlining and repeating as often and as loudly as possible

There is a test case being prosecuted right now for dangerous driving due to knowingly allowing herself to run out of fuel, which sadly led to the Death of a rear seat passenger
The particular stretch of the M25 did not have a hard shoulder apparently.

Both the car driver and the lorry driver that piled into the back of the stationary car are being prosecuted.
If this test case succeeds I suspect the same ruling will apply to running out of charge in an EV.

Crash driver 'Googled fuel-light issue'

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
It only takes a missed turn-off to add many unexpected extra miles. Quite an easy thing to do in fact. And when some EVs don't have that many miles range available to start off with it is very possible to run out. Perhaps EVs will be banned from using motorways in future like bicycles and invalid carriages, that would certainly ease the congestion on them by 2030-2040, in fact they'll be almost deserted! Bring back the ICEs!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
"it's inevitable many unnecessary lives will be lost by this motorway madness"
I think that is worth underlining and repeating as often and as loudly as possible
Well it will be repeated every time I post on here now!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Yes, it's inevitable many unnecessary lives will be lost by this motorway madness .... how can emergency vehicles get to the scenes of unnecessary inevitable pile-ups when all the lanes are blocked without a vacant hard shoulder to enable easy access?
It's scary stuff.
Yes, seen exactly that on the M25. Luckily not a really bad smash, but the ambulance took several tens of minutes to wind between the traffic to get through - awful.

Worse still, people were trying hard to bunch up nose to tail to allow space for the ambulance to get between lanes only for complete muppets to move in to the new space to get 1 car forwards.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The answer to overcrowded roads and urban congestion, which people will not like, is rationing the number of miles each person is allowed to drive, and progressively reduce it over the years until some semblance of sanity is restored. People will say they "must" be allowed to commute 100 miles a day, or "must" be able to travel 500 miles to a meeting so that they can say something they could have said on a conference call. But they can just sort their lives out.

Steve

61 - 80 of 90 Posts