Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,455 Posts
Here is a question, based on the shocking last few posts;-

If you were on a hard-shoulder-less motorway and your car failed and was rolling to a halt, would you pull to the left and risk getting hit by a 44 tonne loaded truck at 56mph or to the right and risk it with an Audi at 90mph?

Consider kinetic energy; 0.5 x 44,000kg x (25m/s)^2 = 13MJ of crash energy from the truck.
0.5 x 1,600kg x (40m/s) ^2 = 1.3MJ of crash energy from the Audi

Get hit by a speeding car and it is a TENTH of the crash energy.

Do you pull left or right?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
You also have to add in probability of being hit. I'd also think an Audi is heavier than 1600kg. There's also the possibility of going up a verge on the left which you can't do on the right.

·
24,455 Posts
You also have to add in probability of being hit. I'd also think an Audi is heavier than 1600kg. There's also the possibility of going up a verge on the left which you can't do on the right.
The numbers are just illustrative, but the reality is actually far far worse than those numbers.

You have to know a little bit of A level 'mechanics' but basically a change of momentum is shared between two bodies of the same mass, but is basically all on the smaller object of significantly dissimilar mass. (Consider two snooker balls striking each other, versus a small marble dropped on to a bowling ball.) So whatever the mass of the Audi, it is the crash from the truck you need to worry about.

There is a mathematical term called 'impulse' which is force x time. The change of momentum (all in the car, if hit by a truck) equals that impulse, and because the truck has no crumple zone the time is virtually instant, making the force enormous. An Audi with a crumple zone will stretch the time out, so with 1/40th of the change of momentum (1/20th the mass, shared between two cars) and, say, time increased by a factor of 10 for a decent crumple zone, you could be looking at a staggering reduction of 1:400 between the forces on you if hit by a truck versus a car of similar mass.

The other very significant reason for bailing into the fast lane is that assuming you have a moment to exit the car, you only have to bound over the central crash barrier to 'relative' safety (and with that much adrenalin in you you'd have to be careful not to jump clear into the opposite carriageway!!!). Pull to the left and get out and, whoops.... you are now standing in the middle of the motorway and have to either walk in front of a stationary car about to get hit, or walk behind it and get crushed between.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry, I haven't read the entire thread, but as soon as the speed differential between the slow moving vehicle and surrounding traffic becomes dangerous, ie closing speeds that could really cause an accident, then it's time for the hard shoulder.

But, hard shoulder = stop and await help. If your vehicle is struggling for whatever reason, pull over and phone recovery. DO NOT carry on driving at any speed.

Surely it's that simple?

The law wouldn't like you trundling at 30mph on the inside lane, but they would throw the book at you for doing that on the hard shoulder.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
It's a personal judgement call the risk of a slapped wrist or fine would not come into the equation for me. Personal safety is paramount, I would try and get off the motorway at any speed if necessary.

In fact come to think about it albeit some years ago long before our roads became as dangerous as they are today I.e pre mobile phone, I have twice and on both occasions due to punctures Getting my family to a place of safety before fitting the spare seemed the grown up thing to do.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
It only takes a missed turn-off to add many unexpected extra miles. Quite an easy thing to do in fact. And when some EVs don't have that many miles range available to start off with it is very possible to run out.
Had that happen to me not long ago. I get home with about 5-10 miles to spare in winter, and I missed my normal turn off from the motorway as I was looking for the next turn off where there is a rapid charger so I could top up quickly for some additional driving that night.

Unfortunately despite living in the area I misunderstood some of the complex rerouting of the M8 in the area and realised seconds too late that the turnoff I needed doesn't actually come off the M8 at all but instead off the parallel A8 through a series of roundabouts. :mad:

Next turn off 5 miles away, uphill on a 70 mph motorway with about 8 miles range left and 10 miles to go just to loop back around to the rapid charger let alone getting home a further 4 miles. :eek:

Had to turn the heater off, slow down to 50mph on a two lane motorway with no hard shoulder and drive a full 5 miles just to get off the motorway before I could slow down. Even at 50mph I was annoying folk - any slower and it would have been unsafe. I then arrived at the offslip to find a 30 minute traffic jam of unknown origin (accident I think) during which I lost precious additional battery despite being stationary with the heater off.

The 5 mile return journey to the rapid charger was a very slow 20mph on a luckily nearly deserted A road which saw me go 3 miles into turtle mode before I made it to the rapid. Had that rapid not been working, (and it has many failed charge reports on plug share so there was a good chance of failure) it would have been a flat bed for sure.

All this from accidentally missing one turn off the motorway.:cry: Not something I ever want to repeat again that's for sure. We were both freezing and I was a bit shaken by how close we had come to either breaking down on the motorway with no hard shoulder or a frigid wait for the AA van even if we had made it off the motorway.

I don't know what would have happened if I'd run out on the side of the motorway with no hard shoulder, I probably would have been a smear on the road.

·
24,455 Posts
Left... As the time in danger could be minimised by getting out asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm picturing performing a 180 hand-brake turn here, to end up parked facing the other way around with the drivers door nearest the crash barrier.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Had that happen to me not long ago. I get home with about 5-10 miles to spare in winter, and I missed my normal turn off from the motorway as I was looking for the next turn off where there is a rapid charger so I could top up quickly for some additional driving that night.

Unfortunately despite living in the area I misunderstood some of the complex rerouting of the M8 in the area and realised seconds too late that the turnoff I needed doesn't actually come off the M8 at all but instead off the parallel A8 through a series of roundabouts. :mad:

Next turn off 5 miles away, uphill on a 70 mph motorway with about 8 miles range left and 10 miles to go just to loop back around to the rapid charger let alone getting home a further 4 miles. :eek:

Had to turn the heater off, slow down to 50mph on a two lane motorway with no hard shoulder and drive a full 5 miles just to get off the motorway before I could slow down. Even at 50mph I was annoying folk - any slower and it would have been unsafe. I then arrived at the offslip to find a 30 minute traffic jam of unknown origin (accident I think) during which I lost precious additional battery despite being stationary with the heater off.

The 5 mile return journey to the rapid charger was a very slow 20mph on a luckily nearly deserted A road which saw me go 3 miles into turtle mode before I made it to the rapid. Had that rapid not been working, (and it has many failed charge reports on plug share so there was a good chance of failure) it would have been a flat bed for sure.

All this from accidentally missing one turn off the motorway.:cry: Not something I ever want to repeat again that's for sure. We were both freezing and I was a bit shaken by how close we had come to either breaking down on the motorway with no hard shoulder or a frigid wait for the AA van even if we had made it off the motorway.

I don't know what would have happened if I'd run out on the side of the motorway with no hard shoulder, I probably would have been a smear on the road.
I've done something similar when I missed the turn-off for IKEA on the M62 near Leeds. Did mange to make it back but was wondering if I would.
Once the battery gets low there is the temptation to turn the heated windscreen blower off. That can often lead to condensation forming on the windscreen. Sometimes not a problem but turn a corner and face a low sun and the windscreen turns to frosted privacy glass like one may find in a bathroom! Instant vision blackout. I experienced that a couple of months ago and had to stop almost instantly as I could see nothing ahead. The car behind tooted - tough - he had yet to arrive at the low sun point!
Many years ago I had a tyre burst on the M11. Thankfully people weren't so smart in those days to consider doing away with the safety of the essential hard shoulder.

81 - 90 of 90 Posts