Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Did you know about this ? which model year ?

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share with you something I discovered.
I consider this a bug by race condition that allows to have the B-Mode like Toyota Hybrids and the Golf GTE for example. The Audi A3-etron lacks this functionality and i find it a little bit annoying. My dealership and the owner manual doesn't specify it.

I invite you to watch this little video.
It will allow you to be in Sport mode while being in full EV, and have the automatic regen braking when lifting the foot from the acceleration pedal.

I am interested to see if it is working on the latest models and / or cars delivered in toher countries than Switzerland.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a go in my Dec 2015 registered A3 e-tron and it worked just as expected. I was already in EV mode and just had to press the EV button on the dash before I did the gear stick manoeuvre. Without bringing up the EV mode menu in just went into hybrid hold as normal.

A useful wee trick to know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wauwwww!
I always wanted the B-mode in mij FL 2017 A3 E-Tron. The lack of this mode was really a loss, compared to the GTE.
I hope this will work. I'm going to try this tomorrow.

@etronfan , does it work while you are driving (not vissible in your instruction video).
Does it actually charge while driving/regenerating?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello again,

Sorry, i didn't drive while filming to "prove it".
Yes, it works perfectly. I m only driving on S EV since discovered.
I even used while driving over a mountain, worked great for the regen when the downhill came.

There was like a 12 KM downhill. I recharged 20 KM in a few minutes. Was impressive.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Btw,
Part 2 of this video in order to avoid a little annoying thing while using this bug.

SO far no news from audi. No one seems to know about this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Tuttivini
When i explained that to an Audi reseller, he told me that there was a possibility that it might not work on the 2017 model.

you are the second person that tested so far and say it's not working on the 2017.

can make other videos if you would like,

·
Registered
63 Posts
It does not work on my 2017 UK Model.
Also noticed the EV Menu is different on @etronfan car.
Showing Four Options, while on my UK model only have 3 EV/Hydrid/Hold.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello,
Other users have noticed it is not working on the 2017/2018 model.
It is working on the 2015/2016 model.

The fourth option has been deleted worldwide for the 2017/2018 model.
It is consuming way too much fuel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried this and it works on my 2015 model aswell. However i'm not gonna use it personally. As handy as it is, i'm too scared to damage the battery. The Tesla for example is in B-Mode aswell, but as far as i know, there are current limitations set up. I think that when the battery is too cold, even tho it will brake with the engine, not all the electricity that gets produced will be sent to charge the battery.
I'm assuming there will be no such safety features on the a3 etron since this mode is not "official". I might be wrong. I mean on hybrid hold it's in B-Mode aswell, so there might be some sort of safety limitations.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello Something,

This is my personal experience, but i'm exclusively using this for 8 month and i didn't have any problem.
Also you don't need to worry about damaging the battery.
When the battery is fully charged, you must have noticed that there is no regen going on. It only works after you lose around 2KM.

This car was quite well engineered. I had a 20 KM downhill once. Using this mode (or even any mode) fully charged my battery quickly. And then i got of coursed scared because after a few KM, the car got fully charged and i still had a very long way to go.

After that 2 things happened :
1) The car will stop regen and will start coasting, having to apply the brakes yourself instead of relying on regen
2) If it continues for too long, the fuel engine will start and brake the car using gears with downshifting, like a normal car (that impressed me, i never imagined that would happened)

--> it was the first time my car showed around 50+ KM of battery range ?

This happened 5 month ago and my car still works great.
So don't worry, they have thought about that.
This is also the case for electric scooters (trottinette in french), so if they to that for such small things... :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey

I haven't been using the B-Mode or hybrid hold much. I usually switch to hybrid auto on the highway. Also i usually drive with ACC. So far really satisfied with how it works. I think it also uses regen to brake, and then engages the physical brakes if it has to brake strong/fast.
Sounds pretty cool that the engine kicks and brakes with the gears. Definitely wouldn't have expected that.

However, what i'm afraid of is not that the battery will get over-charged when already full. What i'm a bit wary of is the amount of electricity being used to load the cold battery.
The tesla for example, as far as i know, will not use all the electricity created to charge the battery when it's cold.
So when it regens and the battery is cold, a part of the electricity is used for other stuff. I think the heater for example.
So for example, if the battery is cold, it could look something like this while regen:
70% of generated electrcity -> battery
20% of generated electricity -> heater
10% of generated electricity - other stuff

Keep in mind that these are only imaginary numbers, and i i'm not even 100% sure that this is really how it works. That's just what i've hears being said.

Basically, what i'm afraid is to accelerate the degradation of the battery by using the B-Mode, because i assume it has no limitations to the electricity it sends to charge when the battery is cold. Obviously, i might be wrong and the battery has such limitations since the ACC also uses regen to brake in EV mode.
Who knows. We have 8years of battery warranty anyways, so if it falls below 70% you will get a new one :p.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aha exactly, it is under warranty anyway.
B mode only allows to regen a weak amount in city driving, and will have no bad impact on the highway.
But its perfect for long life brakes ;)

Also don't forget that we have the charge mode, so they must have taken this scenario into consideration.

As long as you drive your car, it will lose battery anyway as it has to charge the 12V battery when you use any kind of accessories.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess you are right about that.
Maybe i will start to use it too :D
But then again, i drive most of the time with ACC anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts