Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
It seems fair. It places the batteries in the boot rather than the petrol tank and it glibly glosses over the 166 mpg figure (which I still can't understand) but otherwise I think it gives the car a reasonable review.

I'm not sure though that the Hybrid Charge mode (which is on my car but not the latest facelifted model) is as "uneconomical" as suggested - when I've used it, I've done so on motorways in advance of approaching a city where I know I'll be crawling along and [probably] be better on EV mode and with a better overall fuel economy than if I'd run around the city on petrol.

It could have been crueller and said that it takes an age to charge the car and therefore it's not as "eco-friendly" on long journeys as might be implied by the much-vaunted 166mpg. I'm assuming the facelifted models still charge at a slow rate...

Kind regards, Stefan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can’t understand why audi have dropped the charge mode , the gte has it. I wonder if eventually they’ll be a company out there that can tinker with the software and bring it back?

·
Registered
116 Posts
As I've said in other messages, it would be interesting (well, to a sad old git like me) to know a bit more about what each function of the car does. I think the three non-EV modes are really versions of the same basic mode with different thresholds for using the electric motor for driving and braking/charging - for example, the Hybrid/Battery Hold mode will still use the electric motor (especially for starting and low speed) but switches sooner to petrol (i.e.at a lower speed/power demand situation) than the Hybrid Auto mode. If you think about it the EV mode switches to petrol at 80-ish mph rather than around 45mph in the Hybrid Auto mode (it's just that having done so, I think the mode also changes). I think the electric motor is also used in Hybrid Charge mode at start off and really low speeds (can't check now as car not to hand).

If that's the case I guess there could be someone out there able to adapt the parameters with some clever software tool and maybe add additional modes (or at least re-enable the Charge mode for new model cars) - naturally at the expense of warranties...

Kind regards, Stefan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts