Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This news just in from Audi...
  • Top marks in the front, side and rear collision categories
  • The new Audi A3 Sportback e-tron also offers a high level of safety for children
  • Special prize for Audi pre sense basic and multicollision brake assist system
The Euro NCAP consortium has awarded the new Audi A3 Sportback e-tron the maximum five-star rating for crash safety. This puts the first series production plug-in hybrid from Audi among the safest cars in its class.

The test panel was impressed by the Audi A3 Sportback e-tron across the board: As a result the plug‑in hybrid earned top marks in protecting adults and children in a front, side or rear collision. The model also passed tests of its pedestrian protection with flying colours.

This year Euro NCAP additionally tested assistance systems for the first time. The A3 Sportback e-tron with Audi pre sense front and Audi active lane assist also fulfilled the stringent requirements in this category.

The model received the special “Euro NCAP advanced” prize for its Audi pre sense basic passenger protection system as well as for the Audi secondary collision brake assist system that is fitted as standard. This function initiates braking automatically in case of an accident to reduce the risk of skidding and the danger of a subsequent collision.

Established in 1997, the Euro NCAP consortium is made up of international representatives from European transport ministries, motoring associations, insurers and consumer organisations. The council tests the crash performance of new car models. The demanding test requirements of Euro NCAP far exceed the standards of European legislation.

Full results available on the Euro NCAP website

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Good to see its the same as the Ampera and Leaf. ;)

Cars are incredibly safe these days. I was talking only a couple of days ago to a friend about cars we drove in the 70s and how lethal they seem now!

·
Banned
604 Posts
It's all relative though. A land rover defender scores very low on ncap but I'd rather be in the land rover in a head on with an a3.

·
Banned
604 Posts
I used to crash cars at the mira test facility in Warwickshire. Ncap is only relative when you hit something of similar mass and size.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It's all relative though. A land rover defender scores very low on ncap but I'd rather be in the land rover in a head on with an a3.
But doesn't the lack of big crumple zones on the landy mean that while it isn't bent too much, the occupants are jellified?
But yes, obviously mass matters on a 1 vs 1.
That said, no one wins against a lorry. That's effectively the concrete wall test except with added speed.

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
5th Gear tried this out a few years ago and their opinion was that you are better off in a smaller new car than a bigger old one.

I think I would have rather been in the Modus than the Volvo

·
Banned
604 Posts
Both cars are the same weight. They both stay in the same position on impact. When he wobbles the car's to start with, the volvo is clearly empty(not even fuel) and the modus is so weighted down its Arse is on the ground. Had the volvo been weighted at GVW and it had been a straight equal head on, the results would have been different.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Both cars are the same weight. They both stay in the same position on impact. When he wobbles the car's to start with, the volvo is clearly empty(not even fuel) and the modus is so weighted down its Arse is on the ground. Had the volvo been weighted at GVW and it had been a straight equal head on, the results would have been different.
Come on lol, the Renault comes of the ground about 1sec before it hits, you can see it bog down at first as that's were the cable is starting its pull to get them up to speed, my dad friend was a stunt man so I to see lots of cool stuff as a kid, and why would they lie?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts