Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summary
  • Audi confirms two new pure electric cars will enter production.
  • First up is the R8 eTron super-sportscar, to be unveiled in January 2015.
  • Far more important is the 300-mile range EV family car, set to start production in calendar year 2017.
  • Audi looks serious about competing with Tesla.
  • Volkswagen makes ten million cars per year, and has huge procurement scale and manufacturing efficiency advantages.
http://m.seekingalpha.com/article/2...300-mile-range-ev-plans-to-compete-with-tesla

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Prefer to see EV's priced for the man in the street, not Kwh guzzling dinosaurs which have corporate boardroom appeal :D
Look most men like fast cars and eletric are not seen as cool cars, I'm from a group of petrol heads and they thing there boring, the second I said Audi are bring out a R8 eletric car with 200miles of range, there ears bricked up, and they started asking me questions about it,so when company's like bmw Audi but there stamp on something people start to talk about it it then become serious in people's minds as in there not just a joke on top gear, and if all of the car companies are playing game you will end up with them affordable EVs your looking for.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been harping on about EVs for a long long time and since well before the Nissan Leaf. People were well used to me going on about 'crazy stupid' ideas and seeing me in wacky cars. It's good to see that EVs now are well and truly here to stay and that the development of EVs is most certainly main stream. Much the same as with petrol/diesel cars it takes a while before things become affordable but the pace there is also quite staggering too. It took a lot longer for the Austin 7 to arrive on the scene.

Oh and by the way I am very much a petrol head and always will be but I am also very very much committed to EVs too. It's good to see BMW and Audi in the EV market, surely everyone knows that all the salesmen in the country will now be demanding they have one on their drive as a company car and the rest of the sheep will follow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with the "halo effect" or whatever marketing speak you want to call it. When I look around the (any) office car park it is easy to pick out the cars belonging to different types of people. e.g. at the extreme there are people who will laugh at Skoda, Seat and even VW but believe their Audi is a world-beating vehicle. Others who still crow about BMW being the "ultimate driving machine", a marketing campaign for which I have seen the internal slides - the car companies know exactly what their target market is and how to play it.

Much as Elon Musk funded the Model S with the roadster (and lots of loans), you can fund a lot of research by marketing to "status-anxious" people. They'll happily pay £20000 on top of a normal car in order to have the nominal capability of reaching 60 mph two seconds earlier. They'll even give up three seats, a boot and a roof for it. Just look at the limited run "Type R" type cars where people pay more money for a car which is missing the rear seats, air conditioning, radio ...

So making an electric R8, at £40000 more than the petrol one, is a nice little earner. No effort required to make it faster either - that comes naturally.

You are quite right that the 300 mile family car is more important for the 95% of us who don't consider our car to represent our status. But we may as well make money out of the 5% to bring the cost down for the rest of us and feed them whatever rubbish it takes (including the increase in performance arising from not fitting a radio!)

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
What I would be interested to know about is the process that made Audi switch from chickening out on the electric A2 (which as a diesel A2 driver I am still mourning) to a point where they are aspiring to leadership status in the premium EV market. What happened to change their minds? Whatever it was they are now followers, not leaders.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Tesla happened. They proved people will pay a premium for a nice looking high performing car electric car. Not as many people will pay that premium for a Leaf, or Focus EV, Jazz EV etc. the electric A2 would have been a compliance car, same as the 500e. It probably wouldn't have even gone on sale here. With the R8 they will get excited journalists, excited fanbois, and the same revenue as they would from the A2 project, and the same CARB credits. Audi can probably even charge more for the R8 than Tesla can, because Audi is a known trusted brand with existing dealers.

It's good news as far as I'm concerned, because it means the plugin variants of the A4, A6, Q5 etc will not be far behind, and electrifying those cars even a little bit has a huge impact on net emissions.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
It's worth remembering that in the ICE world, margins are much higher on moderately expensive cars (top end models of more popular ranges) than those in the mass market, so it becomes easier for your first model using a new expensive tech to be in that price bracket, because it becomes easier to price it against equivalent ICEs and not take quite so much of a bath on the business case. If I was Tesla I would be worried about an A7 e-Tron eating into my Model III funding mechanism.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
It's worth remembering that in the ICE world, margins are much higher on moderately expensive cars (top end models of more popular ranges) than those in the mass market, so it becomes easier for your first model using a new expensive tech to be in that price bracket, because it becomes easier to price it against equivalent ICEs and not take quite so much of a bath on the business case. If I was Tesla I would be worried about an A7 e-Tron eating into my Model III funding mechanism.
Kind of, Teslas whole mission is to make EV's mainstream, so this is good news.

If automakers don't become battery makers then they need to buy batteries from somewhere, Tesla will be around for a while yet ;)

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Kind of, Teslas whole mission is to make EV's mainstream, so this is good news.

If automakers don't become battery makers then they need to buy batteries from somewhere, Tesla will be around for a while yet ;)
Who said they wouldn't be?

·
Registered
8,071 Posts
the electric A2 would have been a compliance car
Actually, anything but! What they came close to releasing was designed from the ground up as an EV and looking very promising.

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/287503/new_audi_a2_cancelled.html

Unfortunately Audi was passing through a phase where they were focused on building its credentials as a "performance" brand, and no-one had the imagination to see that the A2, like the i3 could make a name for itself as a driver's car.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
No real evidence that Audi are going to do anything mainstream - could all be just vapourware. 300 miles NEDC for the family car so probably 200 miles real world range or less if it ever gets launched. Pricing unknown.

Interesting that the article is written by someone who is short Tesla shares.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Better late than never, but I'll believe it when I see it. The wife's Q7 is due for changing in April and Audi more than any mainstream manufacturer has, through being late out of the blocks absolutely nothing to offer me or interest me. Actually scratch that, neither has Jaguar Land Rover.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
from autoblog today;

It's no secret that Audi respects Tesla, and there have been hints that The House of Quattro is ready to really flex its progress-through-technology muscles in Tesla's direction. Audi will be applying lessons learned in the development of the coming R8 E-tron to the future electric car, after it managed to double the range of the electric sports car thanks to new battery technology to 450 kilometers, or 281 miles.

This puts another tentative all-electric Audi in the mix and another Tesla competitor, after rumors of a possible electric Q8 from February of this year. If an electric Q8 does happen, it's expected to be a challenger to the Tesla Model X. And that might not be all: Bloomberg reported in June that Audi had "devised blueprints for several high-performance electric saloons and sport-utility vehicles."

http://m.autoblog.com/2014/11/26/audi-tesla-sedan-rival-280-mile-range-ev/

1 - 20 of 61 Posts