Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I do a significant number of miles in our 40kWh Leaf - 34,000 miles in 17 months. Unsurprisingly, we regularly charge at Ecotricity chargers at motorway service areas. We rarely have any issues charging away from home, although a number of service areas only have a single rapid charger (Doncaster, Birch eastbound, Tibshelf northbound, Woodall northbound, etc). Occasionally (rarely) we have to wait to charge, but mostly EV drivers are polite and helpful.

Tonight my wife stopped at Doncaster services on her way home from visiting her aged mother. An Audi was charging, using the type 2 connector and parked across both spaces. My wife checked the Ecotricity screen and noticed that the Audi had been connected for 33 minutes - so only 12 minutes to complete its charge. She went into the services to wait and returned once she expected the Audi to have completed its charge. The Audi had completed its charge, but was still plugged in, with its driver stood alongside enjoying a cigarette. My wife asked this 'gentlemen' if he would be moving his car now he the charge was complete. His response 'And?'. She pointed out that he had been there 45 minutes, and again she was met with the response 'And?'. He then 'helpfully' announced that he would be charging for a further 45 minutes and my wife should drive to a different service area to charge.

My wife told him that she had never met such an arrogant man, and drove our Leaf to the nearby Engenie chargers at Thorne. I will always defend the right of any EV or PHEV driver the right to charge their car, and every EV mile is one less ICE mile, but to hog a rapid for longer than allowed and to block all the parking spaces to deny anyone else access is just not right. Just because someone can afford an Audi, M-B or BMW does not give them some God given right to take precedence over a lowly Nissan driver. Without knowing the details of his car, I expect the Audi was only using the rapid to charge at a slow 7kW.

Either it needs to be mandated that all service areas have a minimum of 2 rapid chargers, or fast 7kW posts be provided for cars not capable of rapid charging. It will not be long before 'charger rage' becomes a real issue.

Rant over.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There will always be people like that.. just have to laugh it off and move on. No point challenging someone set on finding an argument. Reminds me of a Vauxhall driver on my commute one day thinking I cut him up.. after that every time he saw me over the month he carried on cutting me up and hand gestures just for fun I guess.. I just smiled and waved. Finally he got tired of it. Haha

·
Premium Member
2,729 Posts
What if the guy had been in a Nissan?

It’s an example of poor behaviour/ignorance for sure, but I’m puzzled as to why you felt it necessary to have a general pop at Audi drivers?

It’s a bit of lazy stereotyping.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What if the guy had been in a Nissan?

It’s an example of poor behaviour/ignorance for sure, but I’m puzzled as to why you felt it necessary to have a general pop at Audi drivers?

It’s a bit of lazy stereotyping.
He wasn't in a Nissan, he was in an Audi. I see quite a lot of arrogant driving from Audi drivers and nothing from Nissan drivers. Yes, I am stereotyping, but IMO justifiably.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hate stereotyping and also hate the idea certain brands carry a less considerate / friendly driver. Unfortunately this is the case as the as these mid level cars do tend to attract the young to middle age fast paced sometimes entitled drivers more than say a fiesta. I also find the same brand cars above £60k tend to be driven much more sensibly overall mostly to do probably with drivers age being slightly higher.
But again as above it’s not worth indulging anyone with road or charger rage..

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's for this reason we need multiple chargers at each service station. One c**t doesn't delay everything.

That said regarding bad drivers I've had some serious road rage from a Qashqai driver. But the bad driver does seem to have moved into the Audi, especially the Q5 and SUV variants.

·
Registered
206 Posts
This is going to happen more and more as the clique of early EV adopters find more and more Newbies. There is ignorance in the ICE community as well and as EVs become mainstream watch frustrations grow at how inconsiderate human beings can be. (Even if they drive Audis)

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
how inconsiderate human beings can be.
It's not just inconsiderate, the event described by the OP is possibly bullying. "I've got the power to make you unhappy and I'll enjoy using it."
Many people are actively nasty - just look at the news occasionally.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is Doncaster Services on free vend then? :)

You know what would cure this problem overnight guys? Eyewateringly expensive charging!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
My wife and I do a significant number of miles in our 40kWh Leaf - 34,000 miles in 17 months. Unsurprisingly, we regularly charge at Ecotricity chargers at motorway service areas. We rarely have any issues charging away from home, although a number of service areas only have a single rapid charger (Doncaster, Birch eastbound, Tibshelf northbound, Woodall northbound, etc). Occasionally (rarely) we have to wait to charge, but mostly EV drivers are polite and helpful.

Tonight my wife stopped at Doncaster services on her way home from visiting her aged mother. An Audi was charging, using the type 2 connector and parked across both spaces. My wife checked the Ecotricity screen and noticed that the Audi had been connected for 33 minutes - so only 12 minutes to complete its charge. She went into the services to wait and returned once she expected the Audi to have completed its charge. The Audi had completed its charge, but was still plugged in, with its driver stood alongside enjoying a cigarette. My wife asked this 'gentlemen' if he would be moving his car now he the charge was complete. His response 'And?'. She pointed out that he had been there 45 minutes, and again she was met with the response 'And?'. He then 'helpfully' announced that he would be charging for a further 45 minutes and my wife should drive to a different service area to charge.

My wife told him that she had never met such an arrogant man, and drove our Leaf to the nearby Engenie chargers at Thorne. I will always defend the right of any EV or PHEV driver the right to charge their car, and every EV mile is one less ICE mile, but to hog a rapid for longer than allowed and to block all the parking spaces to deny anyone else access is just not right. Just because someone can afford an Audi, M-B or BMW does not give them some God given right to take precedence over a lowly Nissan driver. Without knowing the details of his car, I expect the Audi was only using the rapid to charge at a slow 7kW.

Either it needs to be mandated that all service areas have a minimum of 2 rapid chargers, or fast 7kW posts be provided for cars not capable of rapid charging. It will not be long before 'charger rage' becomes a real issue.

Rant over.
I feel for your wife. I once politely asked a Leaf owner how long he intended to stay, and I got a mouthful of Brummie abuse in return. A MSA employee heard the exchange and, when the Leaf owner had disappeared from sight, he came over to explain that the owner was one of his colleagues who came into work at 5AM and saw no need to move his EV until after the end of his shift. EV owners are no Holier than any other car owner.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
As noted Audis tend to attract the fast paced high flying types who want to get from A to B in the fastest possible time so to me that actually conflicts with the idea of electric ones with them having to stop and wait around - I'd have thought an Audi BEV driver would be a completely different (somewhat rare) animal - rather like those of electric BMWs - and an Audi PHEV driver would run on petrol 99.99% of the time and only really have it for the tax benefit. I think for the most part in a decade or so the Audi drivers will be on team hydrogen.

So whilst I tend to be the first to stereotype Audi drivers when it comes to flying down the outside lane, tailgating and such I think the electric driving ones can't really fit the same mould and it was probably just an a***hole in general.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
What is needed is for there to be sufficient 7 (or 22)kW posts alongside the Rapid charger, and the Rapid charger to have a minimum per minute charge equal to charging at say 20kW (ie 13p/minute) to dissuade such actions. Failing that, remove the Type 2 charging lead from the Rapids (aka Instavolt) and put up with the complaints from owners of Zoes with 43kW capable AC charging.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have an Audi and a Leaf... I dont hog chargers! Though my Audi runs on petrol :p I'm also usually found in the outside lane overtaking people, irrespective of which car i'm driving.

Theres multiple solutions for this though. Either bin off the AC ports, or enable dual mode charging so the machine can run the DC ports alongside the AC port, that way the knobend trickle charging can continue and you can get on with the DC charge. Almost all CPS chargers in scotland have this enabled.

Some method of limiting slow charging cars from using a rapid would also be useful. If the rate is below 11kw, shut down, and apply an overstay fee if they dont leave.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
Please don't give them ideas with removing AC.

Just have a 22kW socket - keeps Zoes going but would remove 99% of the "Bloody PHEVs (TM)" as they usually don't have a cable or can't be bothered to take it out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
During my rapid charging exploits, I have not encountered any AUDI drivers, yet, but I have encountered Jaguar IPace drivers and on both occasions found them polite and respectful.

On the first occasion at Tibshelf services north, I was enjoying an EH free vend on CHAdeMO, went inside to get a coffee which took about 10 minutes and on my way back I spotted that an IPace had pulled up next my car. This charger is CHAdeMO and AC only (just the one charger) the IPace driver had the AC plug in his hand and looking at it like some foreign object. I watch for a while and he plugged it in to his car, nothing was happening so he had a fiddle with the charger and managed stopped my charge and got his going bearing in mind that an hours AC charging on an IPace adds about only 20 miles range.

Well I wasn't best pleased, so I went over to him and politely asked him what he was up to, it transpired that he only had the vehicle a week and this was his first trip out of town. He had a reasonable expectation that all he had to do was pitch up at a service area, plug CCS in and 45 minutes bobs your uncle. But he didn't allow for EH and CCS not working for more than a couple off minutes and conking out. He had called into Trowell Services, only one of the 2 chargers was working and the CCS kept crashing, with only 20 miles of range left he set off for Tibshelf North, only to find to his horror there was no CCS just AC and had panicked not really knowing what he was doing and was besides himself and desperate. I only needed another 15 minutes to have enough range to get to Wetherby and handed the charger over to him to fill his boots.

The second time I was again rapid charging on EH getting a free vend and actually sat in the car and again an IPace pulled up. The driver had a mess with the charger and again stopped my charge and plugged in the CCS. The gentleman again very polite, said he had only picked the vehicle that afternoon and was checking out how to rapid charge, I explained to him in the nicest possible way that charging etiquette dictates that you never interrupt another persons charge. I manged to get him on the other charger and showed him how to work the APP.

I think this just shows up, that now EV's are becoming more available and a more of a viable proposition range wise, owners are jumping straight out of an ICE into an EV with no research into charging etiquette and thinking its just as easy as filling up with diesel.

I have got to say that I have always found other EV owners a friendly cooperative bunch that enjoy a good chat at the chargers but as EV's get more mid stream I expect we will all encounter the odd bad egg or two.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
enable dual mode charging so the machine can run the DC ports alongside the AC port, that way the knobend trickle charging can continue and you can get on with the DC charge.
This is probably the best solution, even if it means sharing the available supply, especially if there are no separate socketed Type 2 posts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts