Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
It begs the question how ecotricty chargers are allowing someone else to pitch up and stop someone else's charge that's already started. It shouldn't do that. If a charger let me start a charge I wouldn't expect it to stop someone else's and once it has you can't fix it.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,121 Posts
I think this just shows up, that now EV's are becoming more available and a more of a viable proposition range wise, owners are jumping straight out of an ICE into an EV with no research into charging etiquette and thinking its just as easy as filling up with diesel.
There'll be more and more of this... I'm sure it's been said many times in the charging forum but we shouldn't be relying on something that's taught like "charging etiquette" as the masses will neither learn it nor care. It's a good stopgap while it's a small community with a limited resource and something all courteous people should strive for indefinitely, but one thing networks definitely shouldn't do is depend on it for queue prevention. The only proper solution is an adequate number of chargers (monitor demand and always have at least 2 more than you need) instead of forcing people to fight over the usual 1-2. But other things that can help the networks reduce the number required are: ones that actually communicate (as nice as free vend is, that's the problem with the ability for anyone to stop it), CCTV and ANPR, fines for overstay, fines - or at least threats of fines - for improper use of the emergency stop (like on a train), socketed or separate 22kw AC, visual cues of where to put the plugs afterwards (such as dummy sockets, perhaps with a sensor so the unit can nag you to put it back) etc.

Basically they should follow the basic design principles of any public facing system - design for lowest common denominator. Assume everyone's an idiot, greedy and lazy, to the point of them actually being malevolent, and force/guide them like on a railroad not to be where possible, design around them (including simply installing more chargers) where it's not. Also assume occasional attempts at vandalism.

Human nature is to get quite nasty when there's scarcity - the first world tends to get around this with abundance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same thing is a huge topic here up north. Post the guys pic on social media!
General consensus is that you do not charge above 80% unless you really need the distance. Staying overtime is just no-no.

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
An Audi was charging, using the type 2 connector and parked across both spaces
They seem to have a habit of doing that, especially yellow ones! It doesn't have to be at a charger, any two parking spaces seem to do.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts