Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My impressions of the E Tron I drove this week.

Like all electric cars, they amplify or restrict their desirability, depending on your personal requirements, much more so than conventional cars. This is my take on the audi, it's not to say others are lesser cars.

If your requirement is a reasonably fast ( 0-60 sub 8 secs ) compact 5 seater, with a high spec interior, more frugal than any conventional car, this may be the one.

What's the main attraction, well, it's normal. Without knowledge, you can't tell it's electric. No Prius / i3 styling statements, no dashboards made from recycled egg boxes. No displays with palm trees loosing their leaves.

As you know, it goes about 30 miles pure electric, but has an engine. To me with cars at the current stage of development, it knocks on the head the business of how to publicly recharge, is there a builders van in the slot, is it working, have I got card. You simply drive on past. As I said, leafs or whatever are fine, my preference is forget the complexity, until Elon solves the whole thing, anyway.

So, start, pull away, " good grief " its smooth, very quiet, like all electric cars. No sensation of gear changes, ( it's DSG ).

Full power is almost as quiet, a distant engine noise is all.

Assuming audi is not lying, if your daily use is less than 30 miles, petrol will be a distant memory, maybe the odd pint if you want to use the acceleration, but it's not necessary. The claim is 1.5 litres In 60 miles, starting with a full battery, so if your usual use is that, or less, 120 MPG+ appears quite realistic.

Downsides ? Like all audis, it's styled with a jelly mould, marmite. It's not pure electric, also marmite.

Overall? Wonderful.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
There's no info yet from the look of it, bit too early. Orders supposedly start in august, so should get more idea then. To be honest, would you really want to tow in a car as small as an A3?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
To be honest, would you really want to tow in a car as small as an A3?
Few cars are genuinely 'small' these days ;) Anyway, I would only be towing a glider trailer, which is well streamlined and relatively light. All academic really, as I've ordered the Outlander which can tow, so just wondering. Still makes me sigh that a major car manufacturer like Audi can't answer the question now ...

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
To hear the A3 described as small confuses me, as a many time Mini owner.
Especially given that there's nothing mini about the current MINI range...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts