Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla M3 AWD LR, Audi etron (previous Zoe 22kwh, Kia Soul 30kwh)
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The E-Tron finally arrived on my drive yesterday! Here's some initial impressions after first 24hours of ownership:

- Not sure if the GOM is being optimistic (current full charge is showing 260 miles without a/c, 248 with), but so far I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the range!

- The MMI takes a bit of getting used to, but one of the nicer system’s I’ve used, if you have time worth taking an hour or so to go through all the options!

- I was initially disappointed that the door mirrors didn’t auto fold when locking the car, then found the option to enable the setting when going through the menus as mentioned above!

- Annoying that the nav map is disabled on the cockpit view when you connect to a nav app via CarPlay.

- Tried out comfort and dynamic driving modes so far, dynamic my favourite - auto seemed to running in efficient mode most of the time and I felt that restricted the acceleration a bit too much for my liking!

- Haven’t yet managed to connect to the Wifi hotspot to enable Amazon Music, seems to connect ok but then when trying to register to the portal which displays (can’t remember the name at the moment) it just hangs when I try to register/login. Anyone else experienced this? Can use via CarPlay but would be nice to get the inbuilt app working so I can use without having to plug in the phone.

- Boot space is very good, although have to be mindful not to have anything bulky by the lip of the boot, seems to catch when boot is closing (e.g. I put a pram lying longways, seemed to fit in fine, but had to adjust a bit to move the wheels a bit).

Just a few random impressions, interested to find out others thoughts and so far a very positive experience!

Will there be a separate section for the E-Tron on the forum now people have started to receive theirs??

Cheers,

Sunny

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another thought, the CCS adaptor is on the driver side - which I’m guessing will mean I’ll struggle to use any of the roadside polar rapids. Really wish they’d use longer cables! Fortunately there’s really only one I use that is roadside and now with the greater range shouldn’t be a problem to bypass it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for sharing... anything else you pick up along the way please do share.

Let us know how the range works out...

Cheers

·
Registered
753 Posts
Congrats, I am sure you will love it. Is it your first EV? Range will be good this time of year (my i3 shows 180-190 miles on the GOM) due to the warm weather so that sounds about right.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats, I am sure you will love it. Is it your first EV? Range will be good this time of year (my i3 shows 180-190 miles on the GOM) due to the warm weather so that sounds about right.
Thanks! Nope this is my third now, first was a Zoe, replaced with a soul, which I’m keeping too.

Yeah summer range is always different, but always found the Zoe’s gom to be unreliable - especially on motorways, Soul is miles better. So far the E-Tron seems reliable but true test is always winter!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SunnyG - How are you getting on with linking the app with the car and planning charges, etc.?
To be honest I've found the process of connecting the app a bit of a pain & a bit confusing. Monitoring the car and remote locking/air con is all fine, it's the connecting up to play media which is problematic - only a issue if you want to use Amazon Music or Napster. You have to connect to the in car wifi, then load the myAudi app and go into the vehicle connection settings to initialize - used to work for me for the first couple of days and use my phones data connection, but now it seems to want me to pay for the hotspot data. Some android phones can get around this, just investigating if there's any work around with my iPhone. Failing that will just rely on CarPlay.

I haven't planned any charges, got a charge point at home but so far haven't had to use it for the E-tron (only our Kia Soul) as we have charge points at work so I've fully recharged at the office and the range is more than enough for me to last the rest of the week.

Still putting a smile on my face every time I drive it, even offered to do the grocery shopping just to go for another ride! haha

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Genuine question. Why the E Tron not the Model X, given the gulf between Autopilot and Audi AI Assist, and Superchargers vs regular public charging?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Genuine question. Why the E Tron not the Model X, given the gulf between Autopilot and Audi AI Assist, and Superchargers vs regular public charging?
Sure:

- leasing cost was less than half of a model x, so model x (or a new model s) well out of my price range.
- build quality far superior
- personally not interested in autopilot or any self driving tech, if I spend this much on a car I want to drive it.
- supercharger network is one of the biggest pluses, however not a huge deal for me as I have free chargers at work, so I’d prob only need to top up at home 10% of the time.
- again personal preference but I think it’s a much nicer looking car than the model x.
- Prefer MMI/CarPlay over Tesla’s system

It was just a personal choice, was keeping an eye on CPO Model S prices for a long time but the timing of this deal just suited my situation and other than the actual delivery issues I experienced more than happy my decision. Got this for two years, hopefully by then will be a lot more choice around and prices would have come down!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just found the solution for any iPhone users - Amazon music works via Bluetooth and using my phones data!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
That lease price difference is interesting, considering theres only a 6k difference in list price between the two!

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That lease price difference is interesting, considering theres only a 6k difference in list price between the two!
Yeah I know, they seem to have gone up a bit now but still a lot cheaper - just checked and the same terms I've gone for on the E-tron is £1400 a month for a model x, it's a crazy difference in price!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
The E-Tron finally arrived on my drive yesterday! Here's some initial impressions after first 24hours of ownership:

- Not sure if the GOM is being optimistic (current full charge is showing 260 miles without a/c, 248 with), but so far I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the range!

Sunny
Congrats!! Is that 100% charge?

Whats your consumption miles/kwh so far?

And don't forget the obligatory pics, :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congrats!! Is that 100% charge?

Whats your consumption miles/kwh so far?

And don't forget the obligatory pics, :)
Thanks! Yep that was 100% charge, haven't actually charged it back up to 100% yet to see what the latest range is now I've done a few hundred miles in it - averaging 2.8mi/kWh driving with a heavy foot! That's some local driving, my commute of 40 miles on M4 into London twice a week and thrashing it a bit on some country roads! :)

Won't let me upload any pics at the moment, keep getting a server error! :S

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Did Audi recommend charging percentage? Or are you just going to charge it to 100%?

Mind you I heard Audi has left quite a bit of buffer at both the top and bottom end of the charge.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’ve done 4 longish journeys in mine now. One was pretty much all fast driving (left the airport at c11pm and then did 90 miles which was maybe 15 miles of fast A-roads then 70 miles of motorway. I drove at about 60 mph on the A-roads then set the ACC to 79mph (which I think is 76mph according to GPS). I got 2m/kW, but they seem to calculate that based on 94kWh battery as it was always calculating the range at about 185 miles. So I think in the winter the range at motorway speeds will be <180 miles, but that’s still way better than my bladder. Charged overnight for free at a car park in Newcastle and got home (95 miles) with over 100 left.

It definitely bases the range estimate on recent driving as it’s now back to calculating range at about 200 miles.

I’m still happy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Rented Model X 75D (I own AWD LR Model 3) to see a friends new e-Tron. We did a side by side comparison of the two cars. Well I did, they just mocked the gull wings and the monster screen.

Impressive car in every way. Smooth, fast, quiet. Lots of fun tech vs. the Tesla. Virtual Pilot is way better than the Model X instrumentation which is looking dated.

More comfortable with ventilated seats hot weather. Sun roof. Apple Car play option.

Better safeties such as rear cross track warning (Teslas don't have it), blind side indicators, backup with surround cam vs. Tesla simply back up cam. I

Overall user interface was better than Tesla which has gone overboard with doing everything on the screen which is borderline unsafe as it requires looking at screen and touching it, lot of mental work with eyes off road vs. regular controls.

it was getting way more than rated range, 240 miles at 80% charge vs. 204 miles rated at 100%. Looks like Audi understated the range by a lot so it can exceed expectations.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So a month in, how are you finding the range, still in the 240 range vs. the rated (in US) 204 range?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts