Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
Wow - that's a weird combination of the electrical range of a PHEV (30 mi) with a REx (120 mi). I suppose it's closest in principle to an Ampera.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
Wow - that's a weird combination of the electrical range of a PHEV (30 mi) with a REx (120 mi). I suppose it's closest in principle to an Ampera.
I would say the line "up to 30 miles in city traffic" make it in no way a comparison with the Ampera, which can do about 50 miles at 60-65mph.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do you see what the petrol part of the power is - a Wankel Rotary Engine. My assumption is that this is just a concept vehicle. I remember seeing a comment somewhere that the previous technical director killed this off, before himself being fired

Given Audi's insistence that they would extend the e-tron concept across the range, and the fact that the UK web site no longer has an A1 for sale, just made me wonder what was coming next. Given I have the A3 e-tron in mind for the my cars replacement, and A1 e-tron for my wife's car (also due to be replaced) would perfect.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
Do you see what the petrol part of the power is - a Wankel Rotary Engine. My assumption is that this is just a concept vehicle. I remember seeing a comment somewhere that the previous technical director killed this off, before himself being fired

Given Audi's insistence that they would extend the e-tron concept across the range, and the fact that the UK web site no longer has an A1 for sale, just made me wonder what was coming next. Given I have the A3 e-tron in mind for the my cars replacement, and A1 e-tron for my wife's car (also due to be replaced) would perfect.
Audi man then?:D

·
Registered
385 Posts
Audi man then?:D
My first company car was an Audi 80, and was fabulous. When its lease came to an end I foolishly ordered a replacement without looking what the new model was like - and it was the one where they put the petrol tank behind the rear seat - meaning there was no room in the boot. With (then) a young family it was a disaster. As soon as that lease came to an end I moved away from Audi.

Our second car (first purchased just before I started having the company car) has always been a VW Polo, and so far we have had 3 and kept each one for 10 years plus. The build quality of VW has been fantastic. My wife wants her next car to be from the VW Group.

Pre 2009 when I was visiting my employers European offices many of my colleagues had Audi's and they have all be great to be in. My daughter and her husband recently bought an A6 - and although fiendishly expensive to maintain - also feels wonderfully luxurious inside. As I move into retirement, I have decided that its time to go back to a bit of luxury.

Where I live (Coulsdon - South London) have just opened up a main Audi dealership, next door to a new VW dealership on the site of an the old Coulsdon North station. They seems to be one of the main Audi dealerships in the UK dealing with the E-tron - so I feel quite comfortable that although new technology - if anyone in the UK is going to know how to deal with it, they are.

I had been thinking of an Audi A3 e-tron, e-Up! combination, but yesterday circumstances arose where I would have to have taken the A3, and my wife would have been very close to the range limit of the e-Up. So close in fact that it has made me question the viability of the second car being a BEV.

I am just looking for a dual PHEV combination that might work for us saw this.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My main ICE car is an A6 and it is indeed luxurious, but I don't feel I've had to forego anything in the Leaf (Tekna), the A6 hasn't turned a wheel in nearly a month (though I suspect it will if and when the weather should turn bad). But fundamentally I find the Leaf a more relaxing car to drive, not as luxurious maybe but better ride quality, no jerky gear changes and the seats are more comfortable. I wonder if Audi might miss a trick with the e-tron by chasing 'handling characteristics' and 'performance' and would also like to see how smooth / seamless the drivetrain is compared to pure electric. (probably better in the A1 e-tron if its a rex rather than straight plug in hybrid.) I really feel more relaxed day to day the more I drive the Leaf (I do a fair few miles every week), I would imagine it's partially to do with the more relaxed driving style it encourages but I'm also convinced that the whole package is more comfortable. (oooohh, sounding older every day!)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Could that be the same rotary Rex engine that was featured in a thread a while ago? A company making them for Oem manufacturers. The name of which completely escapes me at the mo.

I've had lots of audi's over the years (I still have a UR quattro) but moved away from them when my turbo on my A3 turned into an oil pump on the M1. My favourite apart from the ur was my S6 that was a luxurious fast comfy car although a bit thirsty for 150 miles a day.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My main ICE car is an A6 and it is indeed luxurious, but I don't feel I've had to forego anything in the Leaf (Tekna)
That is an interesting comment. Before joining this forum I watched every one of Ian Sampson's videos "4 year test".

The impression I got from them, and indeed comments here - is that the Leaf is a great design - but that the build quality has some little niggles. As an example there is clearly some issue with tolerences on how the door fitted, and it left part of Ian Sampson's door exposed so it got chipped paintwork. The dealer/Nissen refused that as one of the warranty items. (The very fact that there were warranty items is also worrying - I have had something like 12 new vehicles in my life, and can't remember ever having any warranty fixes on any of them).

·
Registered
616 Posts
There are a few issues with the Leaf that will need dealing with at some point, of most concern are spots of rust just underneath the rear screen and underneath the rubber seal on the front passenger door, the car is on a 2 year PCP so not overly worried and they are only noticeable very close up. TBH I'd rather just make do than have any kind of respray as they never tend to be as good as the original paintwork. I've waxed every inch of the car a couple of times now to try and minimise the issue. Other than that it's been fine, no issues mechanically or indeed electronically!

Conversely the Audi has had 4 warranty jobs so far, new sat nav unit, new sat nav screen, new sat nav screen motor, recalibration of rear camera. It's needed a full 4 wheel geo alignment (probably due to abuse before I bought the car). I had a ford focus which spent half it's life having warranty jobs done ( and many, many, many arguments with Ford, so much so that I will never own one again) , I had a golf TDI PD 150 that shook itself to pieces and the driver side elec window that seemed to only work every other day when it could be @rsed, various engine management issues on a Golf v6 4 motion I had, the Qashqai needed new shocks all round...... twice! ( a known issue on early models) and it also had the dreaded dpf fault but that was later on in its life. My VW Touran has had a new satnav under warranty and a new sunroof shade mechanism and 2 new shocks all under warranty.

There are definitely some tolerance issues with the Leaf but these are mainly interior plastics and don't really bother me. I don't know if build quality is better on the Gen 2, maybe the ones built in Sunderland are better than the imported ones ??!

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
I would say the line "up to 30 miles in city traffic" make it in no way a comparison with the Ampera, which can do about 50 miles at 60-65mph.
No need to bridle -- I said "in principle" :)

Could that be the same rotary Rex engine that was featured in a thread a while ago?
Maybe -- however Audi is successor to the company (NSU) that invented the Wankel engine, using it first for the beautiful but doomed Ro80...

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
No need to bridle -- I said "in principle" :)

Maybe -- however Audi is successor to the company (NSU) that invented the Wankel engine, using it first for the beautiful but doomed Ro80...
No bridal honest, I keep that at the back of the wardrobe for after dark but that's for a different thread.:D

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF 24kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
343 Posts
Around the time of the NSU Ro80 & the subsequent Mazda RX7 I am sure I read that the wankel engine was best suited to a constant speed (compact drone engine might have been mentioned) role rather than the constantly varying revs of a car. If it does find its way as a Rex engine, that may play to one of its strengths.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts