Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I thought they couldn't even fulfill the orders they have, what with battery supply issues. Also, with the abysmal efficiency, you're barely getting 70mpg equivalent. I love the styling and interior, but you'd have to really want four rings on your nose to choose this over an I-Pace or Model X.
Or be choosing via a company car lease scheme...I've just cancelled my IPace order and gone for eTron instead. IPace is undoubtedly more excitingly to drive and great to look at...however the infotainment system is appalling and the clincher was, for a car that costs £10k less, it was well over £100 / month more to lease (after the provider changed their rates, presumably due to anticipated lower maintenance costs and better residuals). Head over heart on this one, will find out if I was right in a few months' time given the rumoured manufacturing delays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello - new to the forum. I'm on the verge of buying an E-tron edition 1. I know all the limitations around range, performance, efficiency but it ticks all the boxes for me. It's a heavy SUV but it's just what I need :)

Has anybody here taken delivery yet? First impressions in the real world?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think they're just being delivered to private buyers now - mine's at the dealer. I had a decent test drive a couple of weeks back, and was very impressed by refinement, quality and how it drives. I assume you mean Launch Edition, by the way - they only had 30 Edition 1 cars in the UK and I guess they've all gone. Mine's a Launch Edition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I've ordered one, probably for September delivery... We have a "salary sacrifice" scheme at work that means I can save tax and NI on the lease, then pay BIK on the value - but the BIK % on a full EV drops to 2% next April (so about sixty quid a month) on an etron.

Was looking at iPace originally but having had a look at one I'd prefer something a bit bigger to get my bike in (I'm coming from an XC90 which is bloody vast). The longest drive I ever do is maybe 210 miles (maybe a bit marginal for the etron at motorway speed when it's cold) but I invariably stop for at least half an hour to do calls etc, so the absolute range isn't really a concern as I could get 80-100 miles extra in at the services - but I'm attracted by Audi interior build quality and the extra space (and I love a status symbol, obvs! Though having said that I tend to pootle around in my daughters' minty green Vauxhall Viva, which isn't that much of a status symbol tbh).

Hopefully test driving one in the next few weeks.
Hi - new to all the EV world.

Andy, glad to see someone had exactly the same reasoning as me when choosing the E-Tron, i-Pace wasn't for me (great car I am sure). I get mine in September, so trying to get up to speed on pretty much everything!

Be really good to hear any other E-Tron drivers opinions, advice, etc. please?

Also, a general charge questions - there is a lot on 20-80% charging. If I am just using my EV for commuting should I only charge to 80%? and go to 100% if the range requires*. *I have the car for 3 years initally, and then will change so long term battery is not a huge concern, but I obviously don't want to ruin it for a future driver.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
No need to worry about charging to 80/100% if you plan a 3 year tenure.

Also eTron appears to be a bit like the B250e with sizeable buffer zones at the top and bottom of the battery's storage you can't access.

The benefit is battery protection, the downside is a lesser range per nominal kWh of storage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No need to worry about charging to 80/100% if you plan a 3 year tenure.

Also eTron appears to be a bit like the B250e with sizeable buffer zones at the top and bottom of the battery's storage you can't access.

The benefit is battery protection, the downside is a lesser range per nominal kWh of storage.

Thanks Casper, I did think that would be the case but being new I am still trying to get head around all the terminology, and why certain stats are quoted in certain variations (and therefore making (silly) assumptions).

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Also, a general charge questions - there is a lot on 20-80% charging. If I am just using my EV for commuting should I only charge to 80%? and go to 100% if the range requires*. *I have the car for 3 years initally, and then will change so long term battery is not a huge concern, but I obviously don't want to ruin it for a future driver.
There are differing views on this. I'm one who chargers to 70/80% most of the time and plugs on again before 30%. It doesn't take much more effort on my part and it will probably be slightly better for the battery. It will probably degrade slower than someone's who has charged to 100% and let it get down to 10% before plugging on again all the time.

What isn't so good is to charge the battery to 100% every night if you're only using 10 or 20% of the battery each day. That's going to continually keep the battery nearly full so it will be much more likely to degrade faster. I probably still won't hit the guarantee point, but a battery at 70% of its capacity is going to be noticeably smaller than it was originally.

Another opinion is to say the manufacturers have designed the battery with top and bottom buffers so we can't charge the battery to 100%, or discharge to empty so it's going to be OK to just use it and charger however you like. The manufacturer has guaranteed the battery for 8 years so it will be fine.

Or you can take the view that you'll only have the car for the term of the lease so why care to much about the battery. Not very environmentally friendly.

So I'm not over protective of the battery, I charge to 100% when I want to buy for my normal commute I don't need 200 miles so I think about the life of the battery and take simple measures to treat it carefully where I can.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My car is usually between 40 and 80% on the gauge but I will often charge to an indicated 100% if I know I'll be doing 60+ miles to following day.

100% corresponds to around 82% full if there is a 5% bottom buffer and 77% of nominal (28kWh) on top.

I never leave it overnight on full "range" charge (which is about 93% [31.5 + 1.8kWh] of the 35.8kWh assuming a 5% bottom buffer)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had my eTron two weeks now so about 6 charges in with several trips between Norfolk and London. I have to say I am a little worried that I have been sold a pup. When it indicates 100% charge it shows only about 165 miles of range. After driving 10 miles that range reduces by about 20 miles, always in "Efficiency" mode.

Is this expected behaviour? With a planned road trip to Denmark next weekend I am considering renting....

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Had my eTron two weeks now so about 6 charges in with several trips between Norfolk and London. I have to say I am a little worried that I have been sold a pup. When it indicates 100% charge it shows only about 165 miles of range. After driving 10 miles that range reduces by about 20 miles, always in "Efficiency" mode.

Is this expected behaviour? With a planned road trip to Denmark next weekend I am considering renting....
How are you driving it? Just because it is in efficiency mode doesn't mean you are driving efficiently
If you are enjoying the acceleration, braking late, driving at the site limit plus most of the time then it will be thirsty.
It is a thirsty beast and unless you are driving it reasonably gently it will drain the battery quite quickly.
I would still expect to get 200 miles on a charge this time of year, but I haven't driven one. 2.5mi/kWh should be possible on a run, it sounds like you are getting about 2mi/kWh and are enjoying the loud pedal a little too much.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Hi Marc, I actaully heard this when I went into a dealer (Jag not Audi) and a customer who had just been in, which it might be, however best to check. The dealer said the onboard computer calculates based on the last 10/20/30/ miles etc. but also days previous driving style of driving what the range will be - so if you did a lot of accerating/driving at 70mph - the car will think that is the consumption and calculate accordingly.

It's definately worth a call to check - and please let us know what they say? Good luck on the trip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How are you driving it? Just because it is in efficiency mode doesn't mean you are driving efficiently
If you are enjoying the acceleration, braking late, driving at the site limit plus most of the time then it will be thirsty.
It is a thirsty beast and unless you are driving it reasonably gently it will drain the battery quite quickly.
I would still expect to get 200 miles on a charge this time of year, but I haven't driven one. 2.5mi/kWh should be possible on a run, it sounds like you are getting about 2mi/kWh and are enjoying the loud pedal a little too much.
Actually I have only driven it any distance (Norfolk - London) once, the rest of the time my wife has driven and, how can I put this politely, she is a "less than aggressive" driver. Honestly, if we had been thrashing it I would have posted here.

Right now it has been on our home charger (7kw) overnight, it says 100% and 169 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Marc, I actaully heard this when I went into a dealer (Jag not Audi) and a customer who had just been in, which it might be, however best to check. The dealer said the onboard computer calculates based on the last 10/20/30/ miles etc. but also days previous driving style of driving what the range will be - so if you did a lot of accerating/driving at 70mph - the car will think that is the consumption and calculate accordingly.

It's definately worth a call to check - and please let us know what they say? Good luck on the trip.
Driving at 70mph or more, yes on the run up to Norfolk, but once again my wife was driving and she isn't one to accelerate or brake hard.

As things stand a trip to Denmark in this vehicle isn't going to happen. Charging every 200 miles as opposed to every 160 might not sound like it will make a lot of difference, but I suspect we will see things differently once on the road.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
It doesn't sound good and charging every 160 miles isn't very appealing on a long run, but driving on the motorway with the cruise set at 70mph is very different to driving up to Norfolk on A11.
We live close to the A14 and accelerating up to speed and then setting the cruise out takes 15+ miles before the average mi/kWh settles to normal figures. They way to test what you are getting is to accelerate up to speed, set the cruise and then reset the trip and see the mi/kWh. If you are only getting 2mi/kWh then the gom is probably right, but if you are getting 2.5+ then with 80kWh available you will be able to get 200 miles.
What is your average mi/kWh when driving around locally and on your run to London and back? That's the best thing to work from not the GOM.
The GOM (guess-o-meter) on the Golf is very optimistic at the start, maybe Audi have over compensated and are being pessimistic?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts