Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry for the newbie, dumb question, but what are the differences between the e-tron, e-tron S, Q4 e-tron and the Quattro e-tron?

i got no joy from the dealer i visited (too busy to answer qs) and the website gave no clues.

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,162 Posts
sorry for the newbie, dumb question, but what are the differences between the e-tron, e-tron S, Q4 e-tron and the Quattro e-tron?

i got no joy from the dealer i visited (too busy to answer qs) and the website gave no clues.

thanks in advance.
Nothing, they all do about 2.5 miles per kWh and you should buy a Nissan Leaf+, if conventional forum wisdom is to be followed.

Which one in particular are you interested in, as they vary in size and price?

The Q4 is basically Audi’s version of the VW ID.4, e-tron is just a model line up, a bit like VW and their ID moniker for full electric models.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing, they all do about 2.5 miles per kWh and you should buy a Nissan Leaf+, if conventional forum wisdom is to be followed.

Which one in particular are you interested in, as they vary in size and price?

The Q4 is basically Audi’s version of the VW ID.4, e-tron is just a model line up, a bit like VW and their ID moniker for full electric models.
if my research is correct, the e-tron 55 is what I should be aiming for, for maximum range. I think. but I am happy to be corrected.

I am looking for an electric SUV and frankly that means there isn't much choice for UK drivers.

the I-pace has low range as does the Mercedes e-SUVs.

that leaves the Audi, the Mach E, the Volvo XC40 Recharge and the VW id.4. of those four I think the Audi 55 comes out on top.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,650 Posts
As someone who has driven the eTron 55 on long journeys into the mountains, I doubt there is much in it.
The Audi will struggle to do 200 miles, much like the iPace or EQC.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,162 Posts
if my research is correct, the e-tron 55 is what I should be aiming for, for maximum range. I think. but I am happy to be corrected.

I am looking for an electric SUV and frankly that means there isn't much choice for UK drivers.

that leaves the Audi, the Mach E, the Volvo XC40 Recharge and the VW id.4. of those four I think the Audi 55 comes out on top.
The 95 kWh e-tron 55 looks good on paper, but real world range is around 225 miles.

The 82 kWh (77 kWh useable) ID.4 will do better than that, 255 as reported by EV-database.

The Audi Q4 50 will likely be somewhere between the two range wise, but is £25k cheaper than the 55.

Have a browse, the real world ranges are not far off in my experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 95 kWh e-tron 55 looks good on paper, but real world range is around 225 miles.

The 82 kWh (77 kWh useable) ID.4 will do better than that, 255 as reported by EV-database.

The Audi Q4 50 will likely be somewhere between the two range wise, but is £25k cheaper than the 55.

Have a browse, the real world ranges are not far off in my experience.

oh, thank you. that is very useful.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I've found that real-world range of the I-Pace is always over 200 miles, usually somewhere around 220 to 240 miles. It's not got as much range as the Tesla Model 3 LR I owned before it, but the difference doesn't mean we do anything differently, for our pattern of use. It's rare for us to even drive as far as 200 miles without a rest break, and it's getting easier to combine those with a top-up charge. I would expect the e-tron to be pretty similar.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,650 Posts
Walk away from any dealership that couldn't/wouldn't answer your questions properly and no more cars would be sold.
Or find one that does.

If they treat you bad before you are an owner, how do you think they will treat you as an owner?

·
Registered
18 Posts

thanks in advance.
Have a look here: Select your Audi model > Audi UK

I found the only way to find out specific differences between models was to click on the Build you Audi link under each model. Basically there is the Q4 etron (cheaper one), the 'normal' e trons (more luxiourious) and the GT (sports version). THe normal e tron has two differnet engines - 95kwh and 71kwh. I think the bigger battery one is also more powerful. Within each model there are various different trims.

People might harp on about efficieny. The etron is massive - but wiht a 95kwh battery the range is reasonable and given the cost of charging whether something does 2.5kwh/mi or 4kw/mi makes very little difference (I did 1000 miles in first months and it cost about £20 in electric - if I did that in a more efficient car it would have cost about £13/£14).

It's a beauty of a car!

·
Registered
Audi e tron 55 (on order)
7 Posts
The way I look at it is the eTron is based on the Q5/Q7/Q8 series. It’s pretty much a match for the Q8 size wise. Bigger than a Q5, smaller than the Q7. It gets Q7 air suspension, A6 seats and other bits from the Audi parts bin.
There’s a 50 and 55 version, the latter with more battery and a bit more welly. And the S is the 3 motor (rather than dual motor 4x4) high performance one. That extra performance comes with a range penalty. It’s a big Audi estate/SUV that happens to be electric.

The Q4 is based on the VW ID4. and Skoda Kodiaq. There’s no petrol version. It’s efficient, spacious and has a typically Audi premium interior. The Skoda offers a bit more space as it’s longer. Available with a choice of battery size and with rear or all wheel drive (dual motor). Although it’s shorter than a Q5 it offers more interior space as the dedicated electric design allows for that. Rear legroom is huge. You lose on 40/20/40 split rear seats, air suspension and a few premium touches but gain on range and efficiency.

·
Registered
132 Posts
To get proper geeky, I remember reading that the Etron is based on a modified Q5 Limousine chassis. The Q5 Limo is sold only in China where there is demand for greater rear leg room as many customers have their own driver and they ride in the rear seats!! The extended chasis gas room for the required quantity of batteries to give the 55 its 200+ mile range despite its 3 tonnes of weight.

I can testify that the Etron is v spacious. Larger in boot and cabin space than the Audi A6 Avant (estate)

·
Registered
Audi e tron 55 (on order)
7 Posts
All the big Audis are based on the MLB evo platform designed for longitudinally placed combustion engines. Also used across the group by the Porsche Cayenne and Lamborghini Urus. In other words the Urus and etron have a lot more in common than phenomenal acceleration.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
993 Posts
If you must have an SUV it’s worth looking at the BMW ix3. It appears to do most things better than the other big ICE-derived trucks. Or hold on a few months for a Tesla Y.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts