Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I had read lots of reports about the range of the I-Pace and it was one of my main concerns to be honest and had the car not been available at a cracking price at the time I might not have got it. What has surprised me is that the range display seems to be very accurate so the opposite of what you found which seems odd. I drove a Tesla in the USA as a company car for several months and the range display on that was a complete joke and most definitely could not be relied on for anything and made me wonder why they bothered to include it. I understand that the guessometer thing has come about because these displays are not accurate but my experience with the display on the I-Pace has been that it is very accurate and seems to adjust automatically as the weather changes to maintain an accurate display. It is one of the things that has impressed me and given me confidence in the car as I was used to that bottom clenching experience in the Tesla when it seemed to just lose range for no reason at all it would even lose range when just parked up for a few days.

I do not use the performance of the I-Pace mainly as we do not drive anywhere where we could drive fast even if I wanted to but the acceleration seems very similar to the Tesla and I would be hard pressed to say which was quicker without looking at the numbers in the brochures. The Tesla felt quicker from a standstill but the I-Pace feels quicker when overtaking. The I-Pace feels a lot more stable on the road than the Tesla and just feels easier to drive somehow. The I-Pace is also nice and quiet inside where the Tesla was really noisy at freeway speeds with loads of very intrusive wind noise that was enough to need the stereo to be turned up a lot.

If the Audi had not had those teething troubles and had been available to me at the same price as the I-Pace in the specification that I wanted then I would have preferred it if I am honest as I have always loved the way that Audis were put together and finished.
Re the GOM comments - again, it was a very early iPace that I test drove. Maybe (hopefully) the GOM has been improved as part of the software updates. I know that one of them in particular (19B...?) was concerned with capacity estimation and was widely reported to be a Good Thing. The car I drove was on 17.something-or-other so was much earlier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Clearly you never bothered to use the trip planner then!

The range display on the dash is at a fixed consumption, so is not even a GOM.

I had no idea at all that it was there! It was a company pool car that I drove for several months and I I never tinkered with the settings just left them as they were and I assumed that the range remaining display worked the same way as it does on other cars. It seems strange that you have to tinker with the settings to get something so essential to work when it should just be there on the display all the time. I have not had to tinker with the display in the I-Pace to get it to work properly it just works fine as it is.

Re the GOM comments - again, it was a very early iPace that I test drove. Maybe (hopefully) the GOM has been improved as part of the software updates. I know that one of them in particular (19B...?) was concerned with capacity estimation and was widely reported to be a Good Thing. The car I drove was on 17.something-or-other so was much earlier.
My car is a 2020 model and the sales bloke did mention that there had been some updates so it may well be that you are right and that this is one of the things that has been improved. Certainly I have no complaints with it and have found that the display seems to be pretty accurate.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,856 Posts
I had no idea at all that it was there! It was a company pool car that I drove for several months and I I never tinkered with the settings just left them as they were and I assumed that the range remaining display worked the same way as it does on other cars. It seems strange that you have to tinker with the settings to get something so essential to work when it should just be there on the display all the time. I have not had to tinker with the display in the I-Pace to get it to work properly it just works fine as it is.
No tinkering needed.

The car does the range calculation for elevation and temperature as soon as you enter a destination on the nav. You just need to know which page to display. :)

It’s probably the best implementation of a fuel chart I’ve seen in any EV.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No tinkering needed.

The car does the range calculation for elevation and temperature as soon as you enter a destination on the nav. You just need to know which page to display. :)

It’s probably the best implementation of a fuel chart I’ve seen in any EV.
I do not think I ever used the nav system in it to be honest as it was just a company pool car that got driven to and from half a dozen sites and we all knew where those sites were. About the only thing I ever did with it was connect my phone to it. Seems mad to have to use the nav system just to get the range display to work properly and makes me wonder why they bothered to have the range display at all if it only works properly when using the sat nav.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,856 Posts
Seems mad to have to use the nav system just to get the range display to work properly
How do you expect the car to know where you’re going if you don’t plug in a destination?

It’s not a range display - it’s an energy use prediction based on elevation, speed and temperature.

·
Registered
134 Posts
How do you expect the car to know where you’re going if you don’t plug in a destination?

It’s not a range display - it’s an energy use prediction based on elevation, speed and temperature.
Why on Gods earth do I need the car to know where I am going every time I get in it to drive somewhere? I just got in the car at home and drove to work and then usually drove from work out to a site and back. I knew where all those places were so there was no need for me to use the sat nav and I would imagine that very few people use the nav for every single trip they do in any car so it seems really strange that any car should need the driver to do this for every drive just to be able to display how much juice there was left in the battery.

My I-Pace does not need me to use the nav system for it to display an accurate range and by all accounts that is nowhere near as advanced as the technology in a Tesla so if it can display a fairly accurate range without driver intervention why on earth can the tesla not? It doesn't make sense from my view as a driver as all I want to know is how far I can drive. The I-Pace just does that it tells me on the fly how much range is left and over the couple of thousand km I have driven it so far it seems to get that pretty much spot on.

I probably drove something like 20,000 miles in the Tesla and it never once came close to displaying an accurate range and if that is because I never needed to use the nav system in all that time then frankly that just does not seem to make sense. Why can it not just do whatever the I-Pace does and display remaining range in the same way rather than display a number that never seemed to bear any relation to reality at all?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Love Audi's had a few over the years. They were all fantastic cars but have to agree the dealers are universally terrible, it's the main reason I stopped buying them.

5% battery degradation in 18 months does not sound great. I suppose high miles for an EV but that's over 3% loss a year.

It's unusual for an Audi to have that many relatively serious defects. Leaking roof on a car costing that much or any car really is not acceptable. Shame they are great looking cars, I thought they would be bullet proof like most other Audi's.....

·
Registered
230 Posts
@electricdriver shame you don't have a comparison. I think your Audi is doing ok they do seem to have some major issues but have you seen this post, seems like your not alone.
Bought/Own and ID.4 now I have a loan ID.3 !

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,856 Posts
Why on Gods earth do I need the car to know where I am going every time I get in it to drive somewhere? I just got in the car at home and drove to work and then usually drove from work out to a site and back. I knew where all those places were so there was no need for me to use the sat nav and I would imagine that very few people use the nav for every single trip they do in any car so it seems really strange that any car should need the driver to do this for every drive just to be able to display how much juice there was left in the battery.

My I-Pace does not need me to use the nav system for it to display an accurate range and by all accounts that is nowhere near as advanced as the technology in a Tesla so if it can display a fairly accurate range without driver intervention why on earth can the tesla not? It doesn't make sense from my view as a driver as all I want to know is how far I can drive. The I-Pace just does that it tells me on the fly how much range is left and over the couple of thousand km I have driven it so far it seems to get that pretty much spot on.

I probably drove something like 20,000 miles in the Tesla and it never once came close to displaying an accurate range and if that is because I never needed to use the nav system in all that time then frankly that just does not seem to make sense. Why can it not just do whatever the I-Pace does and display remaining range in the same way rather than display a number that never seemed to bear any relation to reality at all?
OK, I can see you don’t understand how any of this works.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
OK, I can see you don’t understand how any of this works.

Enjoy.

What is there to not understand? I used to get in the car and it would power up and display a range on the screen that was nonsense nine times out of ten. I get in my own car and it displays a range that seems to be pretty accurate.

I get that you can set the sat nav and get a better range display than the always on range display but I would guess that not that many people will use the sat nav for their regular commuting trips that they know like the back of their hand will they?

I was doing a lot of driving in that Tesla, around 150 to 200 miles most working days and did not have the time or inclination to set the sat nav up for every journey 20 or 30 mile drive just to gain access to a secondary display that gave a better indication of range than the always on range display. Anyway the map display was so good in that car that it made the route planning function pretty redundant even for the few trips I did to places I had not been before and that screen was one of the things I really liked about the car.

What really matters here is that there seems to be a wide variation in the way these things work and that some manufacturers seem to have managed to get their always on range displays to give a better indication of range remaining than others.

·
Registered
155 Posts
you get in a car and drive from full to empty on a flat calm road at exactly 60mph.

Next day you get in and the car guesses your range based on doing that trip again (which is what most of them do). But today you’re doing a hill climb for funsies. Steep hills, lots of acceleration. Now you only get half the range its telling you.

Both systems will be accurate or inaccurate based on how stable your driving is. Tesla starts from a simple EPA range - so the range in miles is always the same (unless you use the nav so it knows where you’re going to analyse the route). Others use past driving history to try and be more accurate. But that has its own limits.

Personally I would like an option for Tesla to replace the miles with a guess based on previous mileage (it has that in the energy graph to estimate your wh/m). I’d also quite like a smaller trip display so I can still have the map up while seeing the prediction. But it is what it is and neither system is completely accurate if it doesn’t know where you’re going

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I find it amusing when people compare the reliability of Jaguar and an Audi :D especially models that have just rolled off the lines and not got many user miles under their belts.
iPace TSB's were an almost weekly event at one point and the etron ones i got bored of just as quickly when i got the notifications for both in my mailbox :D

21 - 33 of 33 Posts