Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Audi etron 2019 has charge range of 220 miles, yet what I charge at home with a level 2 charger it only charges up to 158 miles. I asked dealer and they said car is OK,. They charged it on their super charger and it charged to 181. is this a problem others are finding?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Where are you and what are the weather conditions like, oh, and what kind of driving have you been doing recently?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
live in Las Vegas. no cold weather issues. Recharging used to charge up to 200 then 195, then 190, then 185, and the past two days to 158...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi, like kcrane said. Your drive to the charger determines what the range indicated will be. Completely unrelated but I also have to take this opportunity to state that your dealer will not have a "Supercharger" but an "Merely-adequate-charger" ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where are you and what are the weather conditions like, oh, and what kind of driving have you been doing recently?
I drive normally between 50-100 miles, but just before the major decline in charging ability I went down to a low remaining charge of 60 miles and received a low mileage warning on my dash

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Audi etron 2019 has charge range of 220 miles, y
We call the dash display a "guess-o-meter" or GOM for short. - It is the car's guess of range based on recent driving and how much charge is in the battery.

Battery temperature, weather and driving conditions make huge differences in a car's real range. Driving up a hill or down a hill makes a huge difference in the GOM.

My i3s has about 100 GOM miles in wet weather and about 130 GOM miles in what passes for summer in North Wales. ( It rarely gets over 70F here, even in summer)

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Does your Audi have a way to display % state of charge or can it only show miles? % is a lot more accurate than the GOM and should help inform you about what is going on. Can it show battery health? LEAF can do that, but most other EVs will only show that on a dealer service computer.

I went down to a low remaining charge of 60 miles

60 miles is low? LOL -- most of us think of low as 5 to 10 miles. But then we have much smaller batteries than your Audi.

My i3 with 7 miles on the GOM:

·
Registered
498 Posts
My wife took first stint on a 225 mile drive in our e-Golf from south-west to north-east England on a dry still day at 10C. The battery was charged to 100% and the GOM said we could do 105 miles.

At 124 miles completed on the trip meter we pulled into a charger with 20 miles remaining on the GOM. The GOM didn't know she would drive steadily at 55mph (boring, but effective), doing as much freewheeling as she could get away with. We on the other hand knew we could get 4+ miles per kWh by careful driving in those conditions, so we ignored the GOM. The GOM then gradually corrected itself until by the time we were down to 20% SoC it was remarkable accurate :)

All to say, the GOM is more a reflection of SoC factoring in yesterday's driving and conditions than today's range.

On other hand if your weather is pretty stable and you drive the same route at similar speeds, your GOM should keep saying the same thing I would have thought. Maybe it started by showing standard e-tron range (about 200 miles) without knowing how you drive and has steadily been getting more pessimistic as it learns. The GOM doesn't control how far you can go, that is a function of SoC, conditions, car efficiency and driving style. Maybe 158 miles was the 'right' answer all along, it just took a few trips to establish it.

Does the e-tron give you an average miles/kWh? If we multiplied that by the useable battery capacity of an e-tron it would be interesting.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I find that I can read the GOM on the Ioniq pretty well. If the car has been plugged in and the battery is warm before I leave, it will do the 13 miles to work for a loss of 10 on the GOM in low temperatures. If it is starting cold, it will do 13 for 15.

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
The SatNav on the i3 informs the GOM. If I ask for a route with a 70mph speed limit and many hills, the GOM will drop 10-20 miles. I've seen people post they never use the i3 nav because it reduces range. :confused:

Setting sport / comfort / EcoPro also change the GOM. So does turning on the AC or defog.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts