Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else got an opinion about A3 E-tron sat-nav.
I find it appalling. The interface is clunky and not intuitive at all. The traffic monitoring doesn't seem to be able to predict anything in front of it and the route planning is quite happy to double the distance driven if you save a minute of time. Added to no speed camera prediction and the awful interface with the App I cannot believe this is a "premium" offering.
I have reverted to using a £100 TomTom with the traffic subscription which, to add insult to injury, I have to stick to the MMI screen!

·
Global Cooler
227 Posts
Prefer ViewRanger on an Android tablet with full UK OS mapping down to 1:25000, which I can pre-program.
Don't have a mobile phone or a SIM so can't use the MMI online features anyway, but if you do, you can use Google Maps on the MMI.
It does give you a choice of routes. You don't have to take "quickest" and you can tailor your preferences to avoid motorways etc. if like me you prefer the scenic routes.
I don't often use route guidance, just leave the display as a rolling map, but when I have used it (e.g. "get me home" from an unfamiliar location, it's worked well. If I've come to a point where I know a better short cut than it does, I've found it very quick to recalculate and catch-on to my thinking, generally ending up taking my preferred route, had I programmed it to begin with.
The map detail is disappointingly sparse compared to OS, but then again I find that to be the case with every other in-car satnav I've seen.

·
Registered
116 Posts
One thing I find rather annoying is that when an update is released it seems to be at least 5 months out of date. For example, the "latest" version 2016/2017 which appeared within the past month or so, contains data that suggests it was created on 25 January 2016! [I peeked inside the content.pkg inside the <Audi\MapUpdate-20160624>\NavDB\UKIreland_eu\0\default folder to find this timestamp, where the bit in angle brackets is the folder into which I downloaded the update]. The same was true of the preceding 2016 update which had a timestamp of 7 August 2015.

For a company hoping to develop a car that is able to drive itself using up-to-date mapping information and 3d sensed images of its surroundings (see article on page 68 of Audi magazine Spring 2016), I think they've got a long way to go - if only they knew which way to turn next!

As for the actual SatNav: having not had one before (my previous car was an A4 bought 18 years ago), I find it generally useful, but on occasions it takes some bizarre routes [I don't think it likes the M6 at all between Junction 16 and the Toll Road very much - must have had a bad experience on it when it was growing up - I've been taken via Lichfield town centre even when telling it I'd pay the hefty fee to use the road!]. The ability to ask it it take me somewhere can also result in some amusement.

It would also be interesting to know the difference between Eco (pronounced Echo) Route and Fast/Short and have some ability to set one's own preferences.

What I'd really like is to for it to be able to "learn and remember" a couple of new roads near where I live...

Kind regards, Stefan

·
Registered
10 Posts
One thing I find rather annoying is that when an update is released it seems to be at least 5 months out of date. For example, the "latest" version 2016/2017 which appeared within the past month or so, contains data that suggests it was created on 25 January 2016! [I peeked inside the content.pkg inside the <Audi\MapUpdate-20160624>\NavDB\UKIreland_eu\0\default folder to find this timestamp, where the bit in angle brackets is the folder into which I downloaded the update]. The same was true of the preceding 2016 update which had a timestamp of 7 August 2015.

For a company hoping to develop a car that is able to drive itself using up-to-date mapping information and 3d sensed images of its surroundings (see article on page 68 of Audi magazine Spring 2016), I think they've got a long way to go - if only they knew which way to turn next!

As for the actual SatNav: having not had one before (my previous car was an A4 bought 18 years ago), I find it generally useful, but on occasions it takes some bizarre routes [I don't think it likes the M6 at all between Junction 16 and the Toll Road very much - must have had a bad experience on it when it was growing up - I've been taken via Lichfield town centre even when telling it I'd pay the hefty fee to use the road!]. The ability to ask it it take me somewhere can also result in some amusement.

It would also be interesting to know the difference between Eco (pronounced Echo) Route and Fast/Short and have some ability to set one's own preferences.

What I'd really like is to for it to be able to "learn and remember" a couple of new roads near where I live...

Kind regards, Stefan
echoing my sentiments when it comes to the technology in something as basic as the Audi MMI GUI , UI. Canada doesn't even ship with a SIM to allow them to use Google Maps! The MMI is archaic compared to competitors who offer the desired apps,and conduit to allow customers to manage their entertainment,GPS ,and most importantly for a PHEV/EV,its ability to charge,pre cool/heat... Audi Connect has numerous glitches preventing customers from using it for its intended purpose,starting with signing up with a VIN MyAudi as it often gets rejected.

Audi may want to care about the subtle stuff given the actual sales from those record pre orders for the Model 3.Tesla is delivering its Model 3 by 2018 or so,and I think it's priced at par,or lower than many of the EV offerings to date.Other EV companies are sprouting up who will likely do the same,likely after they launch their own super car first:) Places like China are driving the EV adoption due to its population,helping establish a well equipped $50K EV. The A3 etron differentiates itself at this time by extending range via ICE.This is changing as competitors address range with EV fast chargers,and increased range via battery design .For a 1200km/745mile road trip,I can handle a 30-60 minute stop to charge for 0 emissions.GM Volt has a 18.4kWh battery, Audi should've shipped the same for its first North American offering in 2016,use the A4 if the A3 was too small. I don't want a Volt [no moonroof/LED headlight] ,didn't like the i3, went with the Audi option to address my urban use,and space for ONE car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm obviously in the minority (plus, I think the MMI implementation varies depending on country) but I find the MMI in general to be very well designed/laid out. It's very easy for me to sort through a large volume of information and find things quickly. As for the nav, I've only used Google search (via a voice command) to find destinations for the nav, and that has worked well. The traffic function does a great job of telling me about wrecks 200 miles away, but other than that, it's been very useful.

I love gadgets and such in cars, and initially wanted Android Auto, but I'm very pleased with the MMI as is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi,

I've finally plucked up the cash and bought Evie a SIM which I've loaded with a few hundred meg of data. This has given me the opportunity to explore the MMI Connect services and Sat Nav with Google mapping. I'm looking for some help with the road colour coding and symbols used by the "real-time" traffic option. Has anyone got a definitive link to anything that would describe these, please? NB: I'm in the UK.

For those who've not tried this, some roads are variously coloured red or green (and some edged with these colours - as if they are trunk roads? or maybe because they are duel carriageways?) - some roads are shown with dotted sections or are part edged with dotted sections that seem to indicate roadworks). Unfortunately, these colourings don't appear to match up with Google Maps' on-line routeing display.

There is also what appears to be a more detailed (than the default RDS version) up-to-date (would be nice if it was more up-to-the-minute) "Traffic" page that lists issues firstly along any in-progress route and those nearby in order of distance. This information is used by route planning algorithm to alter the route in the case of perceived delays on the current route; what doesn't seem to occur is any periodic checking that the new route remains the most attractive option - I was continually instructed to plough through Preston town centre in rush hour on a Friday evening rather than via the now clear (ish) M6 until I asked it to replan a route to my ultimate destination! I guess it adds waymarks (as pseudo stopovers).

Kind regards, Stefan

PS: In exploring the Audi Connect features I note that my "licence" for the Messages function (a feature that allows voice-controlled sending and reading of SMS messages) has "expired". Does anyone know what this licence is and whether it is renewable (and if so at what great cost)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts