Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the MK 1 TTs and I a have always wanted to do an EV conversion. My question is regarding the the good old Haldex. If I did do this I would want retain AWD. I know this always gets brought up but I have never seen it discussed in an EV conversion application. Since there would be significantly more weight on the rear wheels. What would be the problem with either locking the Haldex to being always a 50:50 split or completely replacing the Haldex with a traditional rear diff? I think it would definitely make it more fun but I know there is probably something I am not thinking about.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,187 Posts
I love the MK 1 TTs and I a have always wanted to do an EV conversion. My question is regarding the the good old Haldex. If I did do this I would want retain AWD. I know this always gets brought up but I have never seen it discussed in an EV conversion application. Since there would be significantly more weight on the rear wheels. What would be the problem with either locking the Haldex to being always a 50:50 split or completely replacing the Haldex with a traditional rear diff? I think it would definitely make it more fun but I know there is probably something I am not thinking about.
I would love a Mk1 TT EV conversion, one of my favourite cars ever, just loved the interior!

There are upgraded Haldex controllers available, they can run the Gen 1 drivetrain in an up to 50% rear configuration when required.

It would be an interesting project!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Would two motors rather than replicating/retaining the ridiculously complicated, heavy and inflexible system required to bodge power distribution from an ICE not be sensible?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Would two motors rather than replicating/retaining the ridiculously complicated, heavy and inflexible system required to bodge power distribution from an ICE not be sensible?
Surely a second motor, reduction box & associated subframe would be akin to the weight of the 4wd system?

Locking it up would certainly be a better answer as keeping it simple with one motor makes.rhe conversion easier.

Would it maybe be better to see if the haldex could be swapped for an lsd unit or such?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts