Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems to have become quite popular, with 130 cars last year!

We'll be there, either in the Ampera, or hopefully by then in the Kona Electric :)

EVs In The Park 2019

Any EV, ReX welcome, but not PHEVs or normal hybrids.

Hope to see as many people there as possible.

Cheers
Richard

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sounds fun!

"but not PHEVs" - what if they have a BEV on order/decide to get a BEV next after their PHEV experience?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
"but not PHEVs" - what if they have a BEV on order/decide to get a BEV next after their PHEV experience?
In short, no PHEVs are allowed on the site - I think (not 100%) that insurance prohibits vehicles with fuel on site due to the issues that could arise. I looked at organizing a car event and we had to have fire extinguishers, sand and god knows what else on site in case of a fuel leak and/or fire.

Plus its a good thing - send the right signals to joe public walking past that PHEVs are not the way forward.

·
Registered
213 Posts
well @ebyard i have both a full bev and a mitsubishi outlander PHEV, i won't even bore you with the fact that practically 97% of the PHEV usage is on battery.This just smacks of outright stupidity to me, so this and any event that outlaws PHEV'S for the reason you state will never see me or any vehicle i own.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
well @ebyard i have both a full bev and a mitsubishi outlander PHEV, i won't even bore you with the fact that practically 97% of the PHEV usage is on battery.This just smacks of outright stupidity to me, so this and any event that outlaws PHEV'S for the reason you state will never see me or any vehicle i own.
Well this is the 2nd year of event, and the first was great fun - the number of people walking past asking questions was impressive.

Sorry, but as you well know, the plug is being pulled (pun intended) on PHEVs and BEVs are appear to be the way things are going, and there's nothing you or I can do about that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry, but as you well know, the plug is being pulled (pun intended) on PHEVs and BEVs are appear to be the way things are going, and there's nothing you or I can do about that.
I dont disagree but untill they do why impose such a ban, i for one would love to attend these kind of events but as distance is against me and i dont wish to spend time charging, a BEV or PHEV would be the obvious answer and to be honest that is exactly what i bought the outlander for.Yes i have done longer distances in my leaf but until i can afford a longer range EV i am afraid my PHEV fits my demographic very well.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
i for one would love to attend these kind of events but as distance is against me and i dont wish to spend time charging, a BEV or PHEV would be the obvious answer and to be honest that is exactly what i bought the outlander for.
I think we're getting a bit confused here! There's nothing to stop you coming in your PHEV, however only pure electric - are allowed on the site (which is actually just a grass field). There is parking very nearby.

As I said, this event is more for the public to come and have a look, talk to EV owners without any pushy salesmen around, but the reality is, we need to stop making ICE vehicles. I for one don't see why we should perpetuate them, when EV costs will fall pretty dramatically over the next few years.

In fact, and this is going off topic, but I talked with a guy whose lease on his Outlander is up next year, and told him about the Kia eNiro & Kona - both similar money to an Outlander.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In fact, and this is going off topic, but I talked with a guy whose lease on his Outlander is up next year, and told him about the Kia eNiro & Kona - both similar money to an Outlander.
My lease is also up next year for the Outlander but i cant get a Kona/Niro for the same or anywhere near what i pay for the Outlander if i could i would bite their hand of.
Sorry its just your quote PHEVs are not the way forward just rankles me, surely every mile not travelled on fossil fuel is a good thing.Its not what i particulally want but it is stepping stone to when i can afford the so far overpriced long range EV and lets face it they are overpriced.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Sorry its just your quote PHEVs are not the way forward just rankles me, surely every mile not travelled on fossil fuel is a good thing.Its not what i particulally want but it is stepping stone to when i can afford the so far overpriced long range EV and lets face it they are overpriced.
You're certainly right that every mile driven on electricity is a good thing. However, a PHEV still needs oil, petrol and all that servicing malarkey. They aren't the way forward, they're a stepping stone and (it looks like) they won't be around in 3 years time, especially given Toyota's battery announcement today. So do we want to be pushing what are effectively fossil fuel cars with a token 25 mile range? I don't think so.

The whole point of this event is to show people CAN move away from fossil fuelled transport, and having a field with 100 cars in, and owners from all walks of life and with different needs, proves it can be done.

EVs aren't overpriced; it's just that they're not yet produced in volume compared to ICE. Do you remember when PCs were many thousands of pounds? Or when LED TVs were £2500? I certainly do. Both these items are now as cheap as chips. Once volumes increase, prices will fall.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
True, but you do need these stepping stone cars to get people used to the experience of driving purely in electric mode. They also fund the necessary research into the electrification, and provide enormous first-hand experience to the manufacturers. I've converted a number of people simply by giving them lifts, yet my car was 1/4 the price of a Tesla. They do have their place!
I agree that in 3-5 years they will have vanished as battery range will have made them irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I have reserved a spot. Anyone else going?350+ people going at the moment. Very impressive.

It will be my 2nd EV meet I have been to. The first one being 5 years ago in Great Malvern.

Now I have the Tesla, driving the 140 miles doesn't seem a chore. My poor old 24kWh LEAF would have taken me forever haha.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fantastic turn-out, best part of 400 EVs there! Next year is going to be enormous, I suspect...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts