Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have been competing in grass roots motorsport since 2005. But recently I built myself an Electric Vehicle (EV) from the ground up.

Engine: Advanced DC FB1 4001
Exhaust: None
Suspension: Home grown
Wheels: Various (some Bob Jane specials and some Simons)
Modifications: Everything from the ground up
Stereo Audio / Visual: None
Estimated Power: Power is not huge at around 75 KW but the torque is 440nm from 0 revs.

I know its not the usual ride you would expect to see here. I have built this car specifically for khanacross events. It weighs 530kg. Most of the running gear is from an N13 pulsar. It is front wheel drive and still has all 5 forward gears.

I also use it for Motorkhana and hill climbs but it is most suited to Khanacross. The batteries are from a Holden Volt. They give 7kwh of power starting at 170v dc and a peak of about 500amps. The motor controller is a Curtis also capable of 500amps.

Here is a video from the latest event (Motorkhana)
http://www.youtube.com/attribution_l...m-upload_owner

But there are better videos on my Youtube channel

I have created a new Youtube channel and Facebook page:
Full Charge Motorsport
Full Charge Motorsport | Facebook

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That is cool,although your vids could be a bit better ;)
I would like to see a walk around with some finger pointing at features of the car and build etc please :D
Maybe a bit more from off the vehicle too,keep up the good work.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simon, Thanks for the constructive feedback. I will get on to the walkaround idea this weekend. I also have some older videos from outside the car but I need to move them to the new Youtube channel. Thanks for the prompt. Please let me know in a week or so if you like the coming changes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simon, I've added a few older videos from outside the car. I still plan to do a walk around video this weekend.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do that squire :) it`s so nice to see someones passion for something they have obviously put heaps of time, effort and money into,not to mention the blood sweat and tears :D
I really like the twin hand brakes idea and also the front suspension is ace.
You say in the vid, a lot of donor parts are from a "Pulsar" is that what we would call a Nissan Almera over here in the UK?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I believe it is the Almera and N13. Not sure about the Sunny, I think that might be a different car.
The car took 11 months to build to the point where it was competing. But it has been another 6 months since then and I'm still ironing out various problems getting it to be competitive against the petrol driven cars.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The CVs in the old car were shot before I purchased it. The Batt Mobile has brand new CVs/drive shafts.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The next Motorkhana is this Sunday. I will add some more videos next week some time. Hopefully I will be driving better than last time.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, not exactly. The day was fairly good up until I burnt out my precharge resistor. So the next time I turned the power on a current spike killed my controller.

So I have learned the hard way if you are not seeing the voltage through the precharge resistor never ever ever ever turn the power on!!!!

But aside from that the car and driver were doing fairly well. I actually thought I was lined up for a top 3 position. But I was a little disappointed to find I only achieved 8th place. I think the universe is telling me "You need a better controller!!". Who am I to argue with the universe.

I also had a suspension member fail. Apparently there is more force on that member than I expected. That is an easy fix though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks,

I must be honest there have been moments when I have considered chucking it all in. But those moments are well and truely out numbered by the thoughts of making it bigger and better next time. I am very close to committing to the new controller (plus accessories).

Here are some of the videos from Sunday

Here is one last video. This is a 360 degree view of me doing Double loop. This video is best viewed through a mobile device

Here is the in car video from my attempt at accordion Sunday

Here is the in car video of my last run from Sunday

There are other videos available if you search Youtube for Full Charge Motorsport

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It might just be my internet connection,but the first vid on your above post(the 360) one is missing the top half of the frame,so the 2 video angles to make the 360 view is across the bottom half of the screen/frame,it`s really hard to see.

The second one is much better,not to much wind noise either,making for better viewing.

The 3rd one where it breaks was going really well until the failure,what was that? the suspension failure?(at the rear?) looked to happened when you applied power in reverse.

I hate EE and BT,they are making my internet life a misery.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You need to find a mate with a quadracopter for close up off board footage,to follow you through the course(s),i wonder what the organizers would say?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Some of the vids that are cut in half also have really bad sound.
I like this one too though,you get up to a fair of lick of speed on the big loops,

1 - 20 of 94 Posts