Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Time to set up Patreon or the more ethical one "Subscribe Star" i think it it`s called (or both) and if anyone watching this thread hasn`t noticed,there seems to be some room on those body panels for good advertising if you can persuade the owner,builder and driver of this ground breaking motor racing car your products or services are suitable,i would drop him a PM.
Super pic`s,cheers :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Thanks as always Simon.

Slight adjustment to my previous post. My next event is no longer the Noosa Hill Climb. I have decided to have a crack at the Mt Cotton Hill climb tomorrow. I should have some new content to share in a few days.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I had a great day at the Mt Cotton Hill climb on Saturday. My results were not all that impressive but quite respectable for a first attempt. I did end up in the Macadamia nuts (quite an effective safety barrier) on my second run. This event has made me realise the "understeer" issue I had been trying to resolve is gone and what I am suffering from now is actually a brake bias issue. On the successful runs during the day I was forced to brake very early for the tight corners and enter at rather conservative speeds. On the second run I left the braking too late for the brakes to handle and as a result continued straight ahead into the nuts. There was no damage to the car or driver apart from some dents to the ego. All in all it was a very successful day as I now know what is required to make the car more competitive. Here are a few photos from the day.
59935951_2321590224746903_121309852331933696_o.jpg
60414668_2321589608080298_9097743500417433600_o.jpg
60058235_2321592084746717_5944682195946831872_o.jpg

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Both the car and yourself seem to be evolving nicely, try to get the braking done before you start turning into the corners, dragging the brakes whilst turning in really unsettles the car, slow in fast out.
Try to do some breathing excersises before you set off on the run, keep as calm as you can.
It looks like a tad too much camber on the front from the pics.
Great update anyway, did you manage any film footage? I think i prefer more standard type fim footage than the 360 cam but a good mix /edit would probably be best anyway, more Go pro type camers required maybe, from different angles and you could look into some kind of tethered flying chase cam idea maybe?
Keep at it anyway, i really enjoy the updates and it is very inspiring.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Thanks. Yes I do tend to brake before the corners but even braking in a straight line is problematic as there is not enough weight on the front to allow the front brakes to be effective. They lock way too easily. So I am currently forced to be very slow leading up to any significant corner. Where as I can't lock the back brakes no matter how hard I try. So increasing the back brakes will allow me to brake later (still before the corner) but still enter the corner at a similar speed. I am confident it will make a very significant difference.

Yes I have some footage but I haven't got it on YouTube yet. I'll provide another update with the videos soon. I am really struggling with my new camera and software combination. My old ones are no longer viable. Unfortunately drones are banned from our events.

I have tried a lot of different angles with front and rear wheels and I am confident this is the optimum setup. I was able to maintain great corner speed. I agree the front camber does look extreme. But it needs to be fairly aggressive to compensate for the weight distribution. I can see in many head on photos that when the car leans into a corner the contact patch of the outside tyre is maximised. A reduction of the camber would detract from that contact patch.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Top stuff, maybe some bigger power caps to give more oomph off the line and help with punch out of the corners.
Is there any way to get the weight forwards a bit to help balance the brakes?
It looks damp and being winter how is track temps?
Have you considered tyre warmers?
Really enjoyed the videos anyway, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Thanks as always Simon.
The lack of acceleration off the line isn't due to lack of power. Last year at both Winter and Summer the car launched 50% better than that. The problem this year was grip and all the competitors were struggling with it. Although it hurt me more than most because my launch is my strongest aspect.

I have tried moving weight forward but it wasn't enough. I tried that when I thought I Still had a handling problem. I have since realised the handling problem is gone and I am left with the brake bias issue. I have bias knobs but I have maxed them out and it still isn't enough. I have some big calipers to go in the back. I just need a break between events to work out the placement and fabrication.

Yes the track was cold and damp/wet all weekend to varying degrees. Even at its best on this weekend it fell far short of the grip last year. I was being fairly cautious coming into each corner because I knew if I left braking too late I would be at risk of understeering straight into a wall or off the side of the hill. So I am confident when I sort the brakes out my times will improve significantly (not that they were all that bad to begin with). I am not sure of the actual track temps but the air temps would have been 10-20 degrees Celsius. Which is perfect but the rain on the track was the problem and with the tree cover it never evaporated 100%. Some competitors wrap their tyres between runs. They are generally the competitors running Avon tyres and it is to avoid all the junk being picked up by the super sticky compound. I don't have super sticky compounds so they don't pick up much junk. But also it is essential to have crew at the start line to remove the wrap. Unfortunately I don't have any crew.......I must try new deodorant.

So the next step is to fix the brakes and gains some confidence into the corners. I think I can pick up a couple of seconds there. Then once I have exhausted those gains I need to try and find a way to get some Avons and a pit crew and there will be a couple more seconds there. I also want to add a small motorcycle style windscreen to kick the air flow over my head or at least over my shoulders. I don't think it will make much difference but it can't hurt.

81 - 94 of 94 Posts