Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the car a couple of weeks now (4+) and love it.

So this is a minor niggle. Just wondering if it's normal and I'm being picky.

Rain this morning. Nipped to Morrisons. I always have climate control on Auto and 20c.

Noticed the windscreen was lightly fogged - enoug to be annoying, as in my old Jimny (Gen4) and my 12 year old Caravelle, the windscreens are always flawlessly clear.

Blasted the "windscreen" button and after about a minute the screen cleared how I would have expected. Went back to Auto, light fogging again.

Is this normal, and should I just find more things to worry about? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have found if I do not have the climate control on, turning the fan on by itself and directing the flow over the windscreen is excellent for keeping it clear. Just turn on the fan to a medium speed, turn off heat or AC button, and direct flow over the windscreen.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,065 Posts
I have found if I do not have the climate control on, turning the fan on by itself and directing the flow over the windscreen is excellent for keeping it clear. Just turn on the fan to a medium speed, turn off heat or AC button, and direct flow over the windscreen.
I don’t fully follow that. To get the fan to run, the climate control system has to be on hasn’t it?? If you press the OFF button (turning off the CC) the fan stops always. I’m not saying what you said doesn’t work, but simply that the CC must surely still be on for the fan to run (even if you manually disabled the heat and cool buttons)

Anyway, I’ve had no such issues just leaving it on full Auto and set temp to my preference works fine for me so far (11 months). If it’s misted up when I first get in I just hit the demister button and leave it that way for a good while before going back to full auto. Peter

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
289 Posts
We had this yesterday - CC on auto but things got a little foggy with all four of us huffing up the car on a damp day. Will have to sit in the car and have a tinker to make sense of it all. I had assumed that Eco/Normal was just a flavour of driving mode rather than affecting the HVAC system too. We always drive in Eco as I like the little regen miles gained indicator. But maybe Normal is what’s needed when weather is a factor?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,738 Posts
Soul was crap and demisting.

BEVs are being designed so the AC turns off for periods on the erroneous assumption it saves power. What happens is it clears, gets wet, refogs, has to run again.

If AC is to turn off and on, it should do so on a timescale too short for the evaporator matrix to get wet again.

They don't, most BEVs I have found are poor to terrible for fogging issues. Even Ampera! Only car to do well was Fluence, the AC was separate from the electric heating and could be set to run continuous. Expensive on the already-small battery reserve, of course.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I don’t fully follow that. To get the fan to run, the climate control system has to be on hasn’t it?? If you press the OFF button (turning off the CC) the fan stops always. I’m not saying what you said doesn’t work, but simply that the CC must surely still be on for the fan to run (even if you manually disabled the heat and cool buttons)
If you press the off button (at least on my 4) it stops the climate control, but you can then turn the fan speed knob so that the fan runs. If you do that either the heat or AC button comes on as well, but they can be turned off if not needed. The air from the fan can then be directed to the screen and seems to work well without using any heat or AC.

·
30,738 Posts
If you press the off button (at least on my 4) it stops the climate control, but you can then turn the fan speed knob so that the fan runs. If you do that either the heat or AC button comes on as well, but they can be turned off if not needed. The air from the fan can then be directed to the screen and seems to work well without using any heat or AC.
Yup, that seems to be the answer in BEVs .. their HVAC is soooo advanced that you can't use AC any more.

.. how, errr, 'efficient'.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Is your auto defogging system set? Page 156 of my manual.
Auto defogging is page 4-142 in my manual which says "if equipped". I didn't think mine was equipped but perhaps I should investigate. However, I am happy with keeping the screen clear with ambient temperature air blown over it.

·
30,738 Posts
Auto defogging is page 4-142 in my manual which says "if equipped". I didn't think mine was equipped but perhaps I should investigate. However, I am happy with keeping the screen clear with ambient temperature air blown over it.
There was some user option setting on the Soul for it, but it didn't seem to change anything much.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,065 Posts
Oh dear, I’m sorry if I’m being a bit pedantic here, please do forgive me......

Yes if you press the OFF button the CC is indeed turned OFF. However, the moment you twiddle the fan speed knob (or touch any other HVAC related control) the CC system is actually turned ON again. It’s a last action wins kind of logic.

I think you could get to the same status that you said you like to use without going through the OFF button state. From AUTO state, Just press the heat or AC button to turn off whichever one is lit, direct the flow to the screen and adjust the fan speed.
The fan cannot actually run whilst the CC system is turned OFF. I hope this is clear now.

I still think just leave it on full auto and let the car look after it all. Much easier and it works fine for me anyway.

Of course the good old low tech solution to screen fogging is to just crack open the window half an inch :ROFLMAO:
Cheers. Peter

Reactions: mrsapage

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
409 Posts
I got a bit of windscreen misting in the rain this morning too. I did what I always have done in cars with climate control: hit the demist button, then (unless it's badly fogged) immediately turn the fan down to about 2, so I've got the drying effect of A/C and heating both on, but less fan noise.

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
121 Posts
I got a bit of windscreen misting in the rain this morning too. I did what I always have done in cars with climate control: hit the demist button, then (unless it's badly fogged) immediately turn the fan down to about 2, so I've got the drying effect of A/C and heating both on, but less fan noise.
^This…. Or the open window approach.

This car does seem to steam up more readily than previous cars, but the fan on 1 or 2, set to blow on the window, with AC off keeps it clear.

If it’s really bad, a blast of the auto de-Mist, then maintain with the above.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
442 Posts
I haven't discovered how to just have the fan on in my 2020 4, sometimes I don't feel the need for A/C but would just like to be able to have a bit of breeze directed to wherever I wish, not much to ask.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
409 Posts
I haven't discovered how to just have the fan on in my 2020 4, sometimes I don't feel the need for A/C but would just like to be able to have a bit of breeze directed to wherever I wish, not much to ask.
I'm not entirely sure either (I've only had the car a week) but I think it you turn the fan to the speed you want and then press the A/C and heater buttons if their lights are on, to turn them off, you should have some fan blown air but no A/C or heat. This approach has worked in previous vehicles.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just turn the fan button to your chosen speed and turn off either the heat or the AC (whichever lights up).

·
Registered
Kia E-niro 4+
121 Posts
The following is true on our ‘21 4+ model…

The auto button “thinks” it helps, but I’m not a fan, it tends to blast all out on max!

However, all the other buttons also work independently. They override the auto function if it’s already on, or they turn the HVAC on if it‘s not already on. I.e. there is no “on” button to correspond to the “off” button. If I remember correctly, you can also turn it on with the front windscreen demister, or the auto button.
  • The fan up/down makes the fan go from off, up to max.
  • The up/down arrow buttons cycle through the numerous options for where the airflow comes out.
  • The temperature sets the target temperature when the cooler/heater will cut out (the heating or cooling - not the fans). It doesn’t directly make it warmer or cooler - it works more like your central heating thermostat - if there is a big difference between the actual and target temperature, it will apply more heating/cooling power.
  • The AC or Heat buttons turn AC or heater on/off. They have no effect on the fans (unless the fans are off, in which case pressing these will turn the fans on, according to the default - or maybe last used outlets)
  • The climate button just shortcuts to the info climate info screen in the infotainment screen. Which is as much use as a chocolate teapot!
  • The front windscreen button activates an auto front windscreen demist (full power AC blown fully on the window). Adjusting the manual controls after pressing this button just takes this setting as the starting point for the above controls.
  • The rear windscreen button activates the rear window’s demisting elements
  • The off button turns it all off - heating/cooling AND fans.
Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but it has taken a while to confidently understand the system on manual…. The instruction book isn’t a great help!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts