Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the prize goes to ..... MG ZS EV.

This was brought to my attention by a mate who rubbished my decision to buy one. I don’t know who their “Power Drivers“ are or how they made their assessment but I guess we made our decision to buy on price and comfort and performance after a short test drive. We concluded it was best bang for buck. On that basis Audi, Tesla and Mercedes didn’t get a look in?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Firstly, you can actually buy an MG ZS EV, and the price is well known. Some of the EVs being touted as great are only available in very limited quantities, it's not even possible to buy the cheapest variant anyway, and so by the time you price up one you can buy it's much much more expensive than the MG.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firstly, you can actually buy an MG ZS EV, and the price is well known. Some of the EVs being touted as great are only available in very limited quantities, it's not even possible to buy the cheapest variant anyway, and so by the time you price up one you can buy it's much much more expensive than the MG.
The full text seems to refer to 2 groups of respondents, Power Drivers and owners, full text below, shame about the picture being the ice version!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I do find it odd that owners like the handling. I think as standard it is poor.

Designed in China for the roads around Shanghai where there are ridges across the roads. If they can feel them SAIC make the suspension softer. Not quite what we want in Europe.

·
Journeyman Human
444 Posts
I do find it odd that owners like the handling. I think as standard it is poor.

Designed in China for the roads around Shanghai where there are ridges across the roads. If they can feel them SAIC make the suspension softer. Not quite what we want in Europe.
I've thrown mine around a bit (by my standards, maybe I'm modest in the way I drive!) and it seems just fine, I know yourself and some others say it's poor, but I just don't see it. Do you drive everywhere like you're on a track day or something? lol!! ;)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I've thrown mine around a bit (by my standards, maybe I'm modest in the way I drive!) and it seems just fine, I know yourself and some others say it's poor, but I just don't see it. Do you drive everywhere like you're on a track day or something? lol!! ;)
Not at all. I drive over potholed roads & speed bumps most of the time. If you hit a bump going around a bend the rear end will jump out of line.
Maybe I’m more in tune with the cars suspension as I’m a mechanical engineer by training.

Yesterday Miles Roberts & James Coates drove my car briefly and they both noticed the improvement to the suspension. It just reacts quicker. It’s more stable and planted on the road.

The Chinese developed the suspension so that on the roads around Shanghai where there are cross ridges in the road surface so that they can’t feel them. If they can, they make the suspension softer. Hence it wallows a lot.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I think MG are doing a good job of producing a car at a style and price that no other manufactures are doing right now.
That’s their secret !.
Look at their first offering, the ZS EV.
Show me another manufacture who is offering a small electric SUV type car, with this type of range, at this price point ?.
We know there isn’t one !.
Second offering, a reasonably large family estate car ( about the same size as a VW Passat )
again, good range and at what we believe will be a good price point ?.
Nobody !.
You can’t take it away from them, they have studied the market and are bringing along a car that has little competition right now.
And at a affordable price that any “Average Joe” ( like myself ) can afford to buy.
They are going to sell, pure and simple !.
It’s been a pretty easy life in the sales department at your local MG dealers over the last few years.
But since the introduction of the electrified range of cars, the phones have started ringing a lot more often now !.
Supply and demand is the name of the game folks !.
I think we all know the ZS EV has it’s strange odd quirky things that could be sorted given the time, but remember this IS there first attempt at producing an electric car.
It would appear that the survey was done across current owners of the car ?.
Well, can this not be argued to be the best type of survey anyway ?.
People who have parted with there hard earned cash, giving this car a pretty positive review, could well be the best folks to judge its “value for money status” in my book ?.
My guess would be, if the price point of the new estate car is pitched correctly, it will be a good seller also !.
MG have arrived at the party early enough to get a great seat, they will not be to keen to offer that seat to another manufacture surely.
What do we think they will pitch at the market next ?.
Some type of fancy sports car maybe ?.
Or maybe a small electric city car ?.
Yeah, I know other manufactures are already doing this type of car already.
But they do tend to be a little on the expensive side for a quick “Pop To The Shop’s” type car.
MG could price point a small city / town car that could steal the prize from other makers here.
Very interesting to see what comes next, my view is they will update the current ZS EV styling slightly and offer it with the option of a bigger battery pack, about 64 kw is my prediction.
This will increase the price of car of course, but they have to keep the price under the e.Nero and the Kona.
Early 30 ....... ish ?????.
I am sure this upgrade is already on the cards by MG.
If not, they are missing a Btrick here.
Sort out the bugs in the software, make some small changes like LED lights etc.
Produce an “App” for the car and offer two different size battery packs, and continue to offer it a decent price point and BOOM !.
Just like that, you have a market leader over the competition, it’s that simple.
DO IT - MG !.
You know it makes sense !.

·
Journeyman Human
444 Posts
I really, really, hope their next car is the sports car they promised us in 2017, based on the production version of the e- motion concept. The zs is very nice, but I never really wanted an SUV!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I just don't get the criticisms I hear about soft suspension. We are supposed to drive around bends at a speed we can brake at should something be on the other side. That's something I rarely see motorists do. If there's a cyclist or pedestrian, they swing out onto the other side of the road assuming nothings coming the other way. There's a lot of assumptions being made taking a bend at a speed that challenges a cars suspension.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I really, really, hope their next car is the sports car they promised us in 2017, based on the production version of the e- motion concept. The zs is very nice, but I never really wanted an SUV!
Yeah - Any SUV is never going to win the “Good Looks” prize really !.
A sports car model Is a completely different beast from an SUV.
My old bones would get me in a sports car, but I would need the assistance of the fire services to get me out.
My days of driving lower ride cars are well and truly over.
I would agree that the suspension on the ZS is a little on - well let’s just say “The Soft Side”.
If you pushed it hard, it might bite you on the arse, but for my driving style it’s - let’s just say “Fine” and leave it at that.
Could it be improved, of course.
Mike has already proven that to be true.
I have absolutely no intention or reason to question the improvements he has made.
To pass judgement one way or the other would be incorrect to do unless you did a back to back comparison across both set up’s.
It is a little bit like if your friend invests in a Hi - Fi system for £3,000 and he offers you the chance to listen to it.
To him, it is worth every penny.
On the other hand you really can’t spot much of a different between your present £300 unit ?.
Each to their own I say !.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This may be the first ev with an mg badge but it's the third generation ev from Saic. They are 2nd only to Tesla in global Ev production. This was a factor in my choosing the MG.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I just don't get the criticisms I hear about soft suspension. We are supposed to drive around bends at a speed we can brake at should something be on the other side. That's something I rarely see motorists do. If there's a cyclist or pedestrian, they swing out onto the other side of the road assuming nothings coming the other way. There's a lot of assumptions being made taking a bend at a speed that challenges a cars suspension.
That’s absolutely fine. We are all allowed our own opinions.

I personally was one of the first ‘First’ members of the Institute of Advanced Motorists. So I do understand about all that.

My point was that with the ZS EV just going over speed humps or potholes the suspension doesn’t react like say a similar European vehicle. I know the car is excellent value, I wouldn’t have bought it if it wasn’t. But it is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. It’s a good car, but could be so much better with not much more spent on it.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just don't get the criticisms I hear about soft suspension. We are supposed to drive around bends at a speed we can brake at should something be on the other side. That's something I rarely see motorists do
That's exactly my sentiment. I tend to potter about at 25 - 30 mph everywhere I go. The suspension is the least of my worries.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I did have a moment on Saturday as I was going down the M6 (South) with MGPilot activated at 70 mph. I came to the bit near Fort Dunlop as the M6 makes a tight turn. MGPilot doesn't read the road, just maintains your speed and guides you between the lines. So it kept trundling on around the corner at the same speed. Not what I would have done. Was quite hairy, but we kept between the lines. Wouldn't recommend it though. Yes, I did have my hands on the wheel and I was prepared to take control at any moment it got too much.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That’s absolutely fine. We are all allowed our own opinions.

I personally was one of the first ‘First’ members of the Institute of Advanced Motorists. So I do understand about all that.

My point was that with the ZS EV just going over speed humps or potholes the suspension doesn’t react like say a similar European vehicle. I know the car is excellent value, I wouldn’t have bought it if it wasn’t. But it is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. It’s a good car, but could be so much better with not much more spent on it.
I was purely talking about the suspension. I personally prefer a soft suspension with speed humps and potholes as long as it doesn't bottom out. Easier on the spine than a thump and jar from harder suspension.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I suspect a new version is on the way, presumably in the updated skin of the ice version. Latest offering is a cash price of £21,995 fro my local dealer. Limited stock!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Not at all. I drive over potholed roads & speed bumps most of the time. If you hit a bump going around a bend the rear end will jump out of line.
Maybe I’m more in tune with the cars suspension as I’m a mechanical engineer by training.

Yesterday Miles Roberts & James Coates drove my car briefly and they both noticed the improvement to the suspension. It just reacts quicker. It’s more stable and planted on the road.

The Chinese developed the suspension so that on the roads around Shanghai where there are cross ridges in the road surface so that they can’t feel them. If they can, they make the suspension softer. Hence it wallows a lot.
At least up to the MG6/MG3 the design/engineering was done in the UK for the UK/Euro market.

Not sure if that changed for the ZS, but the 6 was a genuine driver's car. I think at least some of the engineering team is still in the UK...

Hard to get the handling and ride balance right with something more jacked up and harder still with 500kg+ of battery.

Hyundai/Kia still don't get it right. The Ioniq is an uneasy mix of floaty and a bit crashy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts