Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my copy of Auto Express this morning which contained a review of the new Ioniq Electric.

Website article is HERE

VERDICT: 4 Stars out 5
The Ioniq isn't a class leader in any one area, but it certainly makes more of a case for itself with its improved real-world range. It's practical enough to use as an everyday family car and there aren't too many EV's for just over £30k that can make a similar claim.

As I haven't had the chance to drive mine much (under 60 miles) due to lock down the review raised some points I wasn't sure about? There is also some confusion between the NEDC range for the 28 kWh and the new WLTP range for the 38 where I think they should have been clearer.

They suggest there is only a change from the old (NEDC) range of 174 to 193 (WLTP) without explaining the real world improvement that the new test actually makes. Disappointing reporting here.

The other point I was not sure about relates to the regen braking. They say:

"You can also adjust the the recuperation level manually, of course, and unlike its predecessor, this Ioniq can bring itself to a stop using this process, allowing you to, in theory, drive it using just one pedal".

Has anyone been able to do that yet? I've tried with level 3 on the paddles (albeit only limited opportunities as I said) but always had to apply the brakes to come to a complete stop.

Otherwise it basically says its a good if dull car.

Opinions?

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
549 Posts
If you hold the left hand paddle it will bring you to a complete stop. I find it's actually harsher braking like that than with the foot brake. Try it out!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Pretty basic review. The bit about the range is bo**ocks though! (n)

EV compare.io list WLTP for the 28 @127miles and the 38 @183 miles.

I thought the 38 was listed at 193 miles, and in summer that would seem to be easily achievable! 👍

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you hold the left hand paddle it will bring you to a complete stop. I find it's actually harsher braking like that than with the foot brake. Try it out!
I see, ooh I will have to try that out! Thank you. So much to try when I get the chance!

I thought the 38 was listed at 193 miles, and in summer that would seem to be easily achievable! 👍
I thought it was very lazy (and misleading) reporting.

I checked the American EPA ratings and it was 124 for the 28 kWh and 170 for the 38. A significant difference from what was reported.

Reactions: Cantonalegod

·
Registered
233 Posts

I was told the 193 figure was including regen

1 - 6 of 6 Posts