Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was quite surprised to see a full comparison test of the i3 versus the Leaf in this weeks Auto Express.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/i3/88044/bmw-i3-vs-nissan-leaf

Battery-powered BMW i3 goes head-to-head with the Nissan Leaf in hi-tech electric car shoot-out
The buzz surrounding electric cars is increasing all the time. More new models than ever are being launched, while lots of brave buyers are taking the plunge. So it’s no surprise that BMW has jumped on the eco-friendly bandwagon with its bold i3 hatchback.

We’ve already been impressed by the petrol-electric range-extending version, so expectations are high for the all-electric model. Boasting the same advanced carbon fibre-reinforced plastic structure, jaw-dropping looks and cleverly packaged interior as the range extender, the i3 promises to revolutionise the electric car class. It also aims to deliver typical BMW driving thrills, thanks to its punchy 168bhp electric motor, low kerbweight and rear-wheel-drive layout.

Once you factor in the Government’s £5,000 Plug-in Car grant, the newcomer will set you back £25,680, which is only a couple of hundred pounds more than a top-of-the-range Nissan Leaf.

The Leaf was one of the first credible electric cars to hit UK roads, and with its combination of family friendly practicality, decent range and assured driving dynamics, it still sets the benchmark for the class.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/i3/88044/bmw-i3-vs-nissan-leaf#ixzz38sNynRnL

It was an interesting read but I found the most concerning part was the projected residuals from the "experts".

Does anyone here believe an i3 will only be worth 30% after 3 years? On a base model BEV that would be in the region of £8,000, on a well specced Rex it would be nearer £10,000.

Opinions? (After all that is all we can offer).

Derek

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
We'll specced REx BMW balloon payment is 9 grand after 4 years and 50k

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The only person that know the residuals on an i3 is Mystic Meg! At the moment that's my next replacement for the Ampera. When I was looking at the i3 BEV it was estimated to have a residual of £15-£16k after one year. Would be great if it's going to be only £13k or under after 2 years....but I SERIOUSLY doubt that.

Reactions: Derekosb

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Most of the motoring press colludes with the trade on residual values. The Leaf should be available with a hefty discount and the availability of low mileage pre-registered cars at 30-40% below list means that its residual is not quite so woeful.

Reading the 'head to head' and summaries (the Leaf 'used for short inner city journeys') leads me to believe that the average motoring writer hasn't yet got his head around the benefits of BEV ownership.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
The only person that know the residuals on an i3 is Mystic Meg! At the moment that's my next replacement for the Ampera.
I hope you've clued Meg into that plan - she'll need a little time to get in shape.

I think BMW are being a little generous with that level of payment, especially with warranties being pretty standard (standard is good!) for the brand. Be interesting to see if the ballon payments change given car's popularity.

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
853 Posts
If an i3 rex is £10K in three years I will be swapping the leaf for one! BMW is very good at keeping residuals high so I suspect they will be closer to 20K than 10K

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
They are, but this is an entirely new market, it's going to be interesting to watch!
Just don't rely on Vauxhall to do much for helping raise awareness and interest in EVs.

Reactions: h8ten

·
Super Moderator
11,835 Posts
Nice photos. :)
Yeah.

A few comments:

They claimed to be comparing a zero option i3 vs. a Leaf Tekna, but the photos are all of well spec'ed cars.
MSRP is about the same, but try getting a discount on the BMW.

How many people charge their cars on a 3-pin plug? Chademo, CCS and 7kW charging deserved a discussion.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Thing is they probably compared the spec sheets/list prices but I've had experience of a lots of press cars, mostly BMW and not a single one of them was low-spec. Some performance models have had fewer "heavy" things on them (glass roof etc) but always with plenty of goodies.

A motoring journo may like to claim otherwise, but there's no way you can drive a specced up £35,000 version and know what the basic £25,000 version of a car is really like.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
"The BMW has the upper hand when it comes to interior room" - seriously? There's no way my nearly-6ft teenage daughter would fit in the back of the i3, yet she's more than happy in the back of the Leaf. Ridiculous!

Reactions: Olivier

·
Registered
394 Posts
"The BMW has the upper hand when it comes to interior room" - seriously? There's no way my nearly-6ft teenage daughter would fit in the back of the i3, yet she's more than happy in the back of the Leaf. Ridiculous!
In the front the i3 has more room but not in the back so I'd say it's a score draw really.

I'm 6ft 1" and fit in the back ok. What was the clearance problem, legs or head ?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
I fit in the back of the i3 just fine, and I'm over 6ft.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
26% on the Leaf means I should be able to buy an 11 plater for £6750 today. Only I can't, so their residuals numbers are wrong. Cheapest Leaf I can find from a dealer is £9995, about 38% from the £26k price. Even if they used the pre-incentive £31k price (wouldn't surprise me since it makes it look worse) it's 32%.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
26% on the Leaf means I should be able to buy an 11 plater for £6750 today. Only I can't, so their residuals numbers are wrong.
Residuals are calculated on the difference between new list price and trade-in price at three years old. There's a post here about a Leaf being bought by a trader for £7000, so £6750 isn't far off. Options and extras aren't included and usually don't have any value come trade-in time.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
In the front the i3 has more room but not in the back so I'd say it's a score draw really.

I'm 6ft 1" and fit in the back ok. What was the clearance problem, legs or head ?
I fit in the back of the i3 just fine, and I'm over 6ft.
Hmmm... I'm barely 5'8 and in the back of the i3 I felt cramped, and with next to no foot room under the front seats I couldn't imagine doing any length of journey sat in the back. (As for head vs leg - definitely leg room is what I perceived to be the issue).
Perhaps you all have more easy-going kids than mine (which is definitely possible - mine complain about *everything*!)

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
Residuals are calculated on the difference between new list price and trade-in price at three years old. There's a post here about a Leaf being bought by a trader for £7000, so £6750 isn't far off. Options and extras aren't included and usually don't have any value come trade-in time.
Oh right, fair enough, I've never bothered looking at a residual number. Sounds like the moment you buy it the "residual" number is gonna be like 80% since you'll have negotiated a bit of a discount and the trade in price is always lower.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Oh right, fair enough, I've never bothered looking at a residual number. Sounds like the moment you buy it the "residual" number is gonna be like 80% since you'll have negotiated a bit of a discount and the trade in price is always lower.
At least 20% – that's just the VAT, which is gone as soon as you drive off the forecourt!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts