Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Why does a 275 mile range car hurt its everyday usability ?:rolleyes:

Few of these authoritative car journalists have any day to day experience of living with one. Just how many people wake up everyday having topped up every night, and then go and do nearly 300 miles worth day in, day out ? Everyone has different requirements but for me that type of journey happens once or twice a year and I still manage 15k-20k miles a year.

In 30,000+ Tesla miles, of about 1,000+ individual journeys, I have only ever needed to charge en-route about half a dozen times. All other times I've used a public charger were for 'novelty' factor to prove to myself they really do work !

I strongly suspect that Supercharger use by Model S owners will also be an infrequent event but none the less offer comfort value for the 0.1% of the population who really do exceed 250 miles in a day.

Having said that my old RS6 would struggle to pass 250 miles even if I drove it like a monk. I would start getting range anxiety at about 225 miles because it had to be fed Shell Optimax which is/was a rare find even then, and cost £100 to fill up. Worst case range in it was just 140 miles. But I was airborne for half of that ..

I also had an Ariel Atom for a brief period, and its range was indeterminate due to a schitzoid fuel gauge and a max actual range of about 60-70 miles. Did any journalists complain about that at the time ?.. No !!

·
Registered
296 Posts
My LEAF has a greater range than an Ariel Atom - That's something I can counter when someone tells me "80 miles range? Is that all"

:)
Much as I liked the initial experience of the Atom, I soon went off it for use on a the road. Its great round a smooth track in full attack mode, but on the road you absolutely need to drive it wearing a helmet.

You cannot look cool in a pair of Ray-Ban's and drive an Atom .. Bumble Bees might look all cute and fluffy, but they damn well hurt at 90mph ! Then there's grit and small stones and big stones and butt ends from cars in front . .

I'd much rather have a Leaf nowadays.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts