Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m probably in a weird minority here, but I wish I could turn off the auto folding mirrors. I’m pretty sure I can’t. For me, 95% of the time it’s pointless. There's plenty of room on my driveway and it annoys me every single time I unlock or lock the car. Pointless wear and tear on the motor and mechanism too IMO. I would much rather have had a manual mirror open/close button inside on the door. Then I could just fold them in as and when it’s needed.

Anyway, and perhaps more importantly what would happen if the whole mirror assembly was encased in a big solid block of ice and the foldout mirror motors were completely stalled? Is there some system in place to prevent stalled motor burn out or gears/mechanism damage etc? I’ve seen them crunch and struggle a bit when frozen but they got there just. What if they just aren’t able to move when frozen solid? It makes me slightly wary when unlocking the frozen up car. Anyone had this scenario? Peter

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,913 Posts
4 years with the GTE, no problems.
I don't expect there will be any problems with the Kia system either. I have to assume that there are protections against blowing up the motor of a frozen mirror, so I wouldn't worry about it.

TBH, I thought that there was an option to disable the folding mirrors, but it turns out it was the greeting mirrors.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 years with the GTE, no problems.
I don't expect there will be any problems with the Kia system either. I have to assume that there are protections against blowing up the motor of a frozen mirror, so I wouldn't worry about it.

TBH, I thought that there was an option to disable the folding mirrors, but it turns out it was the greeting mirrors.
Yup I disabled the incredibly annoying greeting mirror thing the day after I got the car. Bzzzz, bzzzz every time I walked near it. Utterly pointless stupid childish gimmick!
Peter

Reactions: Todor

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
9,001 Posts
Auto fold mirrors is the first thing I turn off! I always check if it can be turned off as I don't like them either.

Maybe it's a dealer tweak only? Worth asking. Also sometimes software updates will allow things like this to be changed. I'm fairly sure the Leaf 40 didn't have auto fold you could turn off to start with but later it was possible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, you can leave side driving mirrors in open position. Please press the forward most button on the driver- side door to open position and leave it there.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HI, have you tried it with the arm console mirror switch pressed to the left i.e. off AUTO? It's on page 5-37 of my manual (MY20).
Ha, I didn’t even know there was such a switch! :ROFLMAO:
Ill take a look soon. Thanks
Peter

Reactions: Gary J

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ha, I didn’t even know there was such a switch! :ROFLMAO:
Ill take a look soon. Thanks
Peter
I think it needs to be pressed to the right to keep the mirrors in the open position. Pressing to the left locks the mirrors in the closed position.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well sure enough it’s in the manual! Just need to test if the reality matches it!

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m probably in a weird minority here, but I wish I could turn off the auto folding mirrors. I’m pretty sure I can’t. For me, 95% of the time it’s pointless. There's plenty of room on my driveway and it annoys me every single time I unlock or lock the car. Pointless wear and tear on the motor and mechanism too IMO. I would much rather have had a manual mirror open/close button inside on the door. Then I could just fold them in as and when it’s needed.

Anyway, and perhaps more importantly what would happen if the whole mirror assembly was encased in a big solid block of ice and the foldout mirror motors were completely stalled? Is there some system in place to prevent stalled motor burn out or gears/mechanism damage etc? I’ve seen them crunch and struggle a bit when frozen but they got there just. What if they just aren’t able to move when frozen solid? It makes me slightly wary when unlocking the frozen up car. Anyone had this scenario? Peter
I turned mine off for the same reason - they were crunching ice. The selector switch on the drivers door has 3 positions. middle is auto, right is fold and the left stops folding & I think enables reversing autodip (on 4+ at least).

·
Registered
494 Posts
I turned mine off for the same reason - they were crunching ice. The selector switch on the drivers door has 3 positions. middle is auto, right is fold and the left stops folding & I think enables reversing autodip (on 4+ at least).
This is odd. My car, MY20 4, definitely unfolds the mirrors with the right hand switch and folds them with the switch turned to the left - as explained in my manual on page 4-41. Peter's manual says the opposite on page 5-37!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is odd. My car, MY20 4, definitely unfolds the mirrors with the right hand switch and folds them with the switch turned to the left - as explained in my manual on page 4-41. Peter's manual says the opposite on page 5-37!
That grab was from a PDF manual I acquired somewhere or other.. Maybe the printed hard copy we get with the car is different. Mines out in the car and it’s B cold currently!
Peter

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,913 Posts
I have been wondering if preheating enables the heated wing mirrors?

If it does, it should take care of any ice...

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
418 Posts
I never really got the point of them. More money and trouble when they go wrong, another example of over engineering.
I wouldn't buy a car without them!
Street parking in London is a lottery, you never know what state the car will be in on return. Folding mirrors minimise the risk of them being clipped

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,913 Posts
The exterior mirror heating is turned on with the rear screen heater.
I know but I thought that was also enabled when demisting is selected for preheating?!?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car without them!
Street parking in London is a lottery, you never know what state the car will be in on return. Folding mirrors minimise the risk of them being clipped
Or kicked off...

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,913 Posts

I had a "bad memory" feeling about this, and had to go and check. As can be seen from my screenshot, UVO has the ability to heat the wing mirrors.

Clarification: this is from a Kia Soul EV 64kWh (First Edition?).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts