Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Today, the south of England saw some glorious weather. It was incredibly sunny with not a single cloud in sight. Absolutely loved it (despite the lockdown). However, I was out driving my Model 3 LR AWD and the headlights were on throughout my entire drive. They're set to auto so I assume they should only come on when the sensor detects a lack of light. But as I said, the sun was out and it was early afternoon so it couldn't have been any brighter. I know the Model 3 auto headlights are renowned to be overly sensitive i.e. they come on even when going under a shadow of a tree, but my car was not under any shadows or anything. This has happened to me on a few occasions now and I'm beginning to think I may have a faulty sensor. Anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

Mind you, this doesn't happen all the time, but often enough.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Similar experience here with LR AWD delivered early April. It seems to happen occasionally in daylight but I haven't seen it in bright sunlight (was half expecting it in the sun on Saturday but the lights stayed off)

Each time it's happened, the lights are on as I first set off but I can't recall seeing them switch on during a daytime drive. Maybe when I get to do a journey with a tunnel or long underpass I can check if they actually work correctly.

It's slightly annoying having to temporarily switch auto headlights off but at least this setting reappears whenever I next drive the car.

·
Registered
16,892 Posts
I think this happens when one of the cameras is dazzled or throws an error. Normally it says something like 'autosteer is limited' or something.

Usually resets on the next drive.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think this happens when one of the cameras is dazzled or throws an error. Normally it says something like 'autosteer is limited' or something.

Usually resets on the next drive.
That's never happened on mine - I drive away as normal, no messages or warnings but notice that the lights are on (as mentioned, resets to auto for next drive after I manually turn off).

·
Registered
719 Posts
I think it must be a bug as I have only started noticing it happening more after the last couple of firmware updates.
I used to work fine before!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think mine probably do the same on my 2020 P. Thing is, I can't see them when I'm driving, and if it's genuinely sunny, neither can anyone else...

·
Registered
472 Posts
Have you tried a reset when your headlights are working differently to what you expect? In my early days with a SR+ each software update resulted in an anomaly. Lights far too high, even when dipped, for example. A reset either soft or hard fixed the issue. Then similar problem at next update, resolved again by a reset.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Today, auto headlights (& wipers) behaved exactly as they should:

Grey skies/rain - lights on from the start (wipers continuous).
Brief spell where the skies brightened - the green full beam icon vanished (wipers intermittent).
Fully overcast no rain or spray - lights back on (wipers off)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts