Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else experience occasional bizarre behaviour from the Leaf's automatic headlights?

I know the sensor is on the dash, towards the left hand side, and I haven't blocked it.

Most of the time, the sensor works fine - certainly I've never been in a situation where I thought the lights should have come on and the didn't (except, perhaps, misty days where it's borderline, but then the DRLs are often enough).

But take today, a bright, sunny morning. My home town is quite tree-lined, and often the sensor thinks it's a little dark when I go under trees. That's OK and understandable. Today, after this, it then took about 45 minutes before it decided the day was bright enough to switch the lights off. My commute sees me head mainly westbound in the morning, so the sun doesn't directly strike the sensor, but a lot of it is open road which is more than bright enough, but it decided apparently not.

Finally, the lights went off. Then I hit a longish bridge, low roof, no lights beneath. More often than not it's dark enough to trigger the lights again (and I see plenty of other cars where they switch on) but today it seemed to look ahead, decide that the light further up the road was good enough, and so didn't switch them on.

Not the worst problem in the world, just odd.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
My Ampera can be fooled by bright clear blue sky too. I suspect the light sensor is specific to certain frequency range of light, which I assume to be nearer the red end of the spectrum (probably a cost thing), and hence fooled by blue skies.

·
Registered
557 Posts
My Accenta did that a couple of weeks ago. Bright sunny morning with the headlights on for the first five miles or so until I turned them off manually. I thought the sensor was up behind the rearview mirror with the rain sensor so I cleaned the windscreen with the wipers but it made no difference. When I got home I altered the light sensitivity via the settings menu to make the headlights stay off until it gets darker. This seems to have cured it as it hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My Accenta did that a couple of weeks ago. Bright sunny morning with the headlights on for the first five miles or so until I turned them off manually. I thought the sensor was up behind the rearview mirror with the rain sensor so I cleaned the windscreen with the wipers but it made no difference. When I got home I altered the light sensitivity via the settings menu to make the headlights stay off until it gets darker. This seems to have cured it as it hasn't happened since.
Ah, didn't realise it could be altered, will look into that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts