Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a baffler: I have what I thought was the fully-decked-out version of the 2019 Niro EV, and the manual speaks of a new (to me) feature which I think would be extremely handy: auto-detecting hi-beams. When selected, when the driving meets certain criteria (above x.speed limit, etc.) it will automatically douse the hi-beams when it detects an oncoming car, etc. Very smart.

Well, it is simply not installed on this car. It failed to function no matter how I tried to "trigger" it by following instructions, so on my next trip to the dealer, I had their tech run a check, and he verified that the feature was simply not installed.

The salesperson is baffled, because his literature showed him contradictory information. Some said it was an included feature, some didn't. This is in the United States; has anyone else had experience with this/done any research on it? I would really like this feature, and if it was as simple as a mere firmware upgrade or similar, that would be nice (but I suspect it involves the installation of sensors, too).

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
423 Posts
I'm in Spain so no direct comparison regarding equipment.. I have the intermediate version that does not come with power seats, ventilated seats, heated steering wheel or blind spot warning, but it does come with the auto hi-beam (which I really like).

·
Registered
360 Posts
Does your manual say it has it, or is it written "when so equipped"? It's a bit weird, won't work under a certain speed, and turning it on is kinda weird, but I have a 2020 Premium US model

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 2019 Premium. And I think the manual says "if so equipped". But it's a premium feature, according to all that I've seen on the web.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah, but the features seem to vary by country too.... can you get the little indicator on the dash to come on? Your manual does show the picture right?

Greg

·
Registered
251 Posts
On your light stalk are the options Off, Auto, side lights, headlights.
If the auto option is not there then you don't have it.
If it is then switch to auto, the lights will come on when it gets darker automatically. To set the auto high beam you have to push the light stalk forward as though you are switching on main beam. You should get auto under the headlight icon on the instrument cluster.
I am not definite but I don't think auto high beam works under 30mph thinking you are in an urban area. I live in an unlit lane which has a 30 limit and I don't think they are on.
To turn auto off pull the stalk back or to not use it just use the normal light settings as above.
If you have auto on the stalk but it is not working I wonder if needs to be turned on in the engineering mode. Speak to your dealer nicely.
Hope this helps, this is how it works in my Ioniq

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
550 Posts
That’s exactly how it appears to operate on my UK 2020 4 E Niro.
I have to say the auto dipping feature isn’t too great. Sure It dips automatically quite well but it then takes perhaps 10 seconds or more to return to main beam after the oncoming traffic has gone past. That leaves you virtually blind on unlit curvy country lanes. So you have to intervene. I'll probably end up operating the lights manually mostly. Sometimes too much automation can be a bad thing IMHO.

Peter

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here's a baffler: I have what I thought was the fully-decked-out version of the 2019 Niro EV, and the manual speaks of a new (to me) feature which I think would be extremely handy: auto-detecting hi-beams. When selected, when the driving meets certain criteria (above x.speed limit, etc.) it will automatically douse the hi-beams when it detects an oncoming car, etc. Very smart.

Well, it is simply not installed on this car. It failed to function no matter how I tried to "trigger" it by following instructions, so on my next trip to the dealer, I had their tech run a check, and he verified that the feature was simply not installed.

The salesperson is baffled, because his literature showed him contradictory information. Some said it was an included feature, some didn't. This is in the United States; has anyone else had experience with this/done any research on it? I would really like this feature, and if it was as simple as a mere firmware upgrade or similar, that would be nice (but I suspect it involves the installation of sensors, too).
3E279732-2D66-41B6-B1A1-A0BFC60C01FB.jpeg This a screenshot from Kia website I have told Kia UK and the 2dealers they are not interested that the car was mis sold.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It is not on the first edition and it is a factory fit so can’t be added. We should all complain about the mis selling.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
550 Posts
It is not on the first edition and it is a factory fit so can’t be added. We should all complain about the mis selling.
Trouble is they will have it legally covered in a small print disclaimer somewhere. It will reserve the right to change specifications without notice, thus covering cockups such as this.

Peter

·
Registered
360 Posts
My 2020 Premium works as gmat says, and I can confirm the 30 mph shutout.

Some times it seems "hard" to arm, and again it is another of these things that don't "remember" the last time you drove the car... and you cannot make it part of your startup routine (my sport mode, auto hold, seat cooler), since you have to wait until you get going 30 mph.

And yes, I also agree the "resume high beam" seems to take a little time, if the road is dark, mine comes back quickly, but if there are other lights around, building, etc. it seems to take longer.

Greg

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
About mis selling some people got them to enable the speed limit sign reading thing that was missing even though it wasn't supposed to be on UK models. They advertised it and in the end turned it on. If it's factory fit maybe you can get some compensation. People got some cash when they had to reduce the WLTP range of the Kona.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts